Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Kube

Default Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Okay, some of you guys seem to enjoy my pain so I'd thought I'd share my current project progress with you.
I wrestled this particular '40 out of the basement of a barn many years ago. While I typically complete most projects in a year or two, other things got in the way so this one has sat in the corner for most of the past nine years. I did manage to get a lot accomplished during those past years but now (finally!) I will be completing this restoration.
Some may have noticed the title of this thread, specifically the "rare". Why rare?
This is one of 111 - '40 Ford convertibles built with a factory installed Mercury engine. This one came with supporting documentation, the cowl tag, etc.
While it was quite rough when I'd acquired it, because of the extreme rarity, I simply had to have it. So, perhaps foolishly, I overlooked the monumental task before me.

My intention is to restore this car to the highest degree of quality and authenticity that I am capable of. That includes of course restoring it as the original "letter of build" clearly indicates.

My hope is to have this one ready for Dearborn, 2018.

I will make a number of separate posts this evening to bring this project "up to date".

Attached herein are photos of the vehicle upon purchase. I know, I know... "What was I thinking?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB190007.JPG (122.3 KB, 1430 views)
File Type: jpg project 40.JPG (145.4 KB, 1073 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0437.jpg (73.0 KB, 1135 views)