Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
jackson32

Default How would a person go about getting a title

How would a person go about getting title for model a run about or speedster or ? We live in IL. any ideas Thanks Jack Oh I think we can get a homemade title what is the way to do it .
jackson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Slantwindshield

Default Re: How would a person go about getting a title

Illinois is CRAPY in regards to old car titles. Be careful and good luck
Slantwindshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
PetesPonies

Most or all states allow you to get a homemade title. And for what you are doing, that is probably the way to go. There are states that a bill of sale will allow a title to be generated, thus businesses that can get one for $$$ for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Most state DMV's have the laws and processes ofgetting a title poste online, study them well and look for what fits your situation. It takes some time and the process likely will cost some money, but likely there is something that will help you get what you need. Also there are several title services and such in various states. I managed to get a "Bonded Title" for my delivery with the right paperwork and such to satisfy the bare minimum of the law as written. This April (3 years from when I got the bond) I can get the bond released and have an "Original" title made. Rod
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

PLEASE send me a PM and I will give you the name of the contact and show you how SIMPLE it actually is... Illinois use to be one of the worst, they have changed their views HEAVILY!!!
mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
jackson32

Thanks For all the replies I like it and Larry will also.
jackson32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

I have always found it very easy to walk into the DMV, fill out the paperwork, get it inspected, pay some money, go home a wait a couple weeks for the title to come in the mail. But what ever you do NEVER TELL THEM IT WAS BUILT FROM PARTS. Do a search on the serial number to make sure it is not in the system. Then tell them it has been sitting on your family land for decades. Do not say the title has been lost either. That is another can of worms. Another way is to do a "Lien Sale" for storage. A little more complicated but a slam dunk.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
pyrodork

Send a message via Yahoo to pyrodork

i've been concerned about this myself, in the state of MN. my AA is nowhere near completion (and in my mind, never will be... {rat}), but i'm concerned about it and would like some peace of mind. i have a bill of sale from the guy i bought it from, but i have found the year to be incorrect, the engine number to be from an A and not an AA, and haven't found a frame number as of yet. i'd like it to be registered as an AA, but without a frame number or an AA engine (or loose AA title), i'm not sure how i can do this.

i'm mostly concerned about cost-effectiveness. ease is a close second.
1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Past Classics:
Early '30 Ford Model AA
1948 Dodge Deluxe 4-door sedan
1951 Studebaker Champion 2-door sedan
1988 Ford E-350XL Ambulance
pyrodork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodork View Post
i've been concerned about this myself, in the state of MN. my AA is nowhere near completion (and in my mind, never will be... {rat}), but i'm concerned about it and would like some peace of mind. i have a bill of sale from the guy i bought it from, but i have found the year to be incorrect, the engine number to be from an A and not an AA, and haven't found a frame number as of yet. i'd like it to be registered as an AA, but without a frame number or an AA engine (or loose AA title), i'm not sure how i can do this.

i'm mostly concerned about cost-effectiveness. ease is a close second.
Our club has the star, number and letter set of stamps to fix your old number that is damaged.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
pyrodork

Send a message via Yahoo to pyrodork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Our club has the star, number and letter set of stamps to fix your old number that is damaged.
hmm... there's that, but how would i know if the number is clear/okay to use?
1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Past Classics:
Early '30 Ford Model AA
1948 Dodge Deluxe 4-door sedan
1951 Studebaker Champion 2-door sedan
1988 Ford E-350XL Ambulance
pyrodork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

pyrodork: Before you worry yourself to death, make a visit to a local DMV office and find out what is required. Some states (CT is one) do NOT issue titles to vehicles over 25 yrs old if newly registered.
Find out what you need to register vehicle and THEN worry.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Forker

I recently bought a 1930 Phaeton from a dealer in CT and it didn't have a title as Paul pointed out above. I did receive prior registration documents from CT and a bill of sale. I went to my local DVM tax office and had no problem registering it and getting a new Texas Title issued.
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
pyrodork: Before you worry yourself to death, make a visit to a local DMV office and find out what is required. Some states (CT is one) do NOT issue titles to vehicles over 25 yrs old if newly registered.
Find out what you need to register vehicle and THEN worry.
Paul in CT

Find out what you need to do in YOUR State-everyone else just has opinions. 50 states,50 rules and sometimes more if you hit a DMV on a bad day.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
PLEASE send me a PM and I will give you the name of the contact and show you how SIMPLE it actually is... Illinois use to be one of the worst, they have changed their views HEAVILY!!!
mark
The pendulum must have swung again. Illinois got into trouble years ago by giving out titles too easily. People were stealing trailers and getting new Illinois replacement titles to "legally" sell them.

They then swung the other way and it because almost impossible to get a title on a self built car. The car had to be completed and safety checked by the NSRA. They were also wanting to place a higher value on these cars so they could make more tax revenue for one of the most indebted states in the country. The process of getting my title for a hand built Model A took almost two years and included getting an Insurance Bond. Stupid requests from the Sec of State workers for asking for a notarized picture of the serial number off of the transmission housing as just one example alone. I couldn't convince them that all Model A's just had a casting number. After running through this gauntlet with the Illinois S of S office. They sent out an officer to stamp a new VIN on the firewall and my Model A always has to display a decal on the windshield that it has a new VIN. I never had such a miserable experience in dealing with any government entity and it has soured me on building up another Model A from scratch. Very glad to hear things are now better for others.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Response #2 & 14 brings to mind a comical, local 82nd Airborne WWII Veteran bar tender I knew who used to say that when he passed away, he wanted to be awarded the job in Heaven of operating the (2) storm levers; i.e., one for thunder & one for lightning.

He said he couldn't wait to be at the helm to strike a few people he knew with a strong bolt of lightning followed by a deafening roar of thunder. Then he would simulate yanking on each lever separately & make a lightnening/thunder sound.

With a serious face, he would remark that it sounded to him like a real good hereafter job.

Still sounds like a possible future job one might want to request to get back at some of these cranky DMV Title officials some of us have encountered.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-06-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
luckyal

My advice is do not buy from a title broker ! My friend went this route and paid $ 400 when the state office would have generated on with a bill of sale !
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

In some states, one easy way to obtain a clear Model A title is to visit with your local Justice of the Peace & try to explain your particular situation.

Some states give them the authority to override the cranky decisions of some of these mentally ill, power hungry Government Empoyee DMV ding-bats trying to give 92 reasons why you cannot obtain a clear Model A title for your particular Model A.

But also remember, not all DMV officials are the same -- some have common sense -- sometimes going to a different DMV office with a different DMV official can make a difference. Each state & each office can be as different as the decisions made by different IRS officials -- live & learn by experience.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

REGISTRATION LAWS FOR HOBBY CARS IN ALL STATES
1. www.semasan.com (Specialty Equipment Marketing Association or SEMA)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
ronn

Many suggestions, but many of these "ideas" don't work outside of your state.
Most states do not just accept a bill of sale....
Many states do not "bond" titles....
Liens only work in some states....
Bottom line-become familiar with your states laws and go from there.
You can just buy a title and will work most everywhere, but some on this board don't agree with that method-another option is a title broker, which becomes very expensive
but usually does work.
In any case, due diligence is in order.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

After reviewing www.semasen.com in reply #18 above, it contains registration & title laws for Offices of Motor Vehicles Officials but not all Civil Codes concerning the authority of Justices of the Peace or judges who can override DMV, sometimes as a last resort.

No doubt every state is different & these civil codes & laws are always changing like we change socks.

When one is up against a brick wall with his DMV title request, & wants to check further with his Justice of the Peace for vehicle title authority options, in my opinion, a simple "free" phone call to his local Justice of the Peace makes a lot of sense.

Hope this "free" call can help someone else some day.