Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
PeteVS

Default Re: T-170 Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
The left hand side of the gate is conventional, the right hand side of the gate is reversed inside the box. So if you row through the gears in the conventional 4 speed sequence, you get 1st and 2nd as normal, you cross the gate and in the conventional 3rd gear position on the stick you (due to the monkey motion) engage the direct straight through gear (now a 1:1 third, but 4th in a 4 speed) you then pull the stick back into the conventional 4th gear position, and engage the new overdrive 4th gear, which is physically located in the box where 3rd is in a 4 speed.
How's that?
Mart
I don't know if it's still available, but someone was making a gear set for GM Muncie and T10 four speeds that revised the ratios for first and second. Old fourth became the new third and old third became an overdrive. The "H" pattern was kept by flopping the third-fourth lever on the side of the trans to shift the internals in the opposite direction. The idea was to give a lower engine speed cruising at the expense of close ratio performance.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
Ol' Ron

What I'd like to know is, just what did this trans come from. It doesn't seem to fit any Ford bolt pattern, but I only have three handy for checking and I'm sure there's more than that.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
Mike B

Check your numbers again Ron, and compare to this post on FTE...did you miss a "5"?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...nsmission.html

Here's another thread on FTE from '08..
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/72...in-issues.html

In this thread "numberdummy" mentiones to search "without the hyphens"..if you did miss a "5" on the tranny, googling...

RFE5TR7006AA C2605524

Comes up as a transmission from a 6cylinder ford...might be why you're having trouble mating to a bellhousing?

Last edited by Mike B; 10-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote