Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #21
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Did you restore the car yourself?

"Did you restore the car yourself?" "Tell them that you bought the Model A brand new", and then see what they say. I keep a baby book with photos in each one of our cars. It can answer any question about the car that they may have.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #22
Dick Carne

I suppose that the most truthful response for the majority of us would be one that recognizes that most of us probably do not have either the full skillset or the equipment to fully and completely restore every component on these old gentlemen ourselves. However, I will generally nonetheless issue a qualified "yes" when asked this question by the average "spectator" on the street- qualified by noting that I do not have the equipment to do all of the machining necessary to properly rebuild an engine: I do not have the sewing skills to sew the upholstery pieces necessary to yield the final product that I require (I have installed closed car tops with assistance, but that's hardly the same); I have on occasion done some painting, but my last project (shown in my Avatar) was done by a professional painter. On the other hand, as far as the mechanical disassembly and reassembly, and minor mechanicals such as re-bushing, re-riveting, frame straightening, etc., - these are items that I have tackled and completed myself or with minimal assistance - and of course scheduling the different services required from professionals who have those skills and equipment that I simply do not have. I would imagine that with the exception of only a very few folks like Brent, that there are probably very few folks who would have the capability to complete all of these tasks themselves and offer an unqualified response. So to the question at issue, . . . all of the cars that I have were either in pieces or in need of restoration when I acquired them and consequently would in no way resemble their current appearance had I not been involved in the restoration to the degree that I was. But, I'm also not sure that it would be totally honest to say that I did all of the restoration work on these old gentlemen either. I have also found that these questions are often posed by some of those same folks who offer that "my ______ used to have one just like that, . . ., only it was a different color, a totally different make and body style, and twenty years newer."
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #23
Synchro909

I have restored 4 cars and built 2 from scratch. I look at this hobby in 3 parts. First, there is the great sense of satisfaction I get from bringing a wreck back to life. Secondly, there is the enjoyment of driving it. I know every nut and bolt in that car and love hearing and feeling everything working together (hopefully) in harmony as I go down the road. Third, is the people I meet through driving them. I have been to some incredible places all over the world as a result of my hobby and made lots of friends who will be with me for the remainder of my time on this planet.
I also tell people about how while I'm working on the car, she leaves me alone. On the other hand, she won't let me go anywhere in the A without her.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #24
holdover

Did two, '29 Coupe & '31 AA SWB, bought the 4 others, '29 CCPU, '31 AA LWB, '31 TuDor and back in 1966 '30 Coupe. About to turn 74 and don't seem to have the drive I once had, so from now on it will be bought done or with little work to finish,
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #25
mike657894

just say its in constant restoration its almost 100 years old.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Carne View Post
I would imagine that with the exception of only a very few folks like Brent, that there are probably very few folks who would have the capability to complete all of these tasks themselves and offer an unqualified response.

Thanks Dick, but even I no longer have the time to do all the facits even though I have the tooling and the ability. It is just a different environment these days. Adding to that, my own father was a hobbyist Model-A restorer beginning back in the late 50s, and while he did most of these tasks himself, he did not have the ability to do it all. Items like engine rebuilding, britework plating, upholstery, etc. was still farmed-out. What IS worth noting was back then, when you viewed someone that did the majority of the work themselves and chose who they farmed-out the rest to was still viewed as they did the entire restoration themselves. What has changed is we want to criticize the restorer in two ways, 1) we want to challenge him as to whether each component was truly restored, -and 2) we want to criticize if he said he did it all while knowing he farmed out the stuff like engine, upholstery, and britework.

Let me offer a funny scenario that happened to me a few years ago. I went to a fairly large show and looked over to see a Roadster that we restored several years prior. I walked up to the vehicle from the left-rear so I began to look at it to see how it was holding up and how it was being cared for. I walked around the front to see the large sign describing the vehicle. At the bottom in big letters, 'Owned & Restored by (my customer's name)'. I'm sure my eyes got big, and my son started to comment when my customer walked up to greet us. He saw me looking at that and he said we both restored it but I did more of the work. I said Really?, in which he explained he had to work more hours to pay for it than what the restoration costs. Therefore he did more work to make it happen. I guess that was probably a true statement in his eyes.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #27
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Let me offer a funny scenario that happened to me a few years ago. I went to a fairly large show and looked over to see a Roadster that we restored several years prior. I walked up to the vehicle from the left-rear so I began to look at it to see how it was holding up and how it was being cared for. I walked around the front to see the large sign describing the vehicle. At the bottom in big letters, 'Owned & Restored by (my customer's name)'. I'm sure my eyes got big, and my son started to comment when my customer walked up to greet us. He saw me looking at that and he said we both restored it but I did more of the work. I said Really?, in which he explained he had to work more hours to pay for it than what the restoration costs. Therefore he did more work to make it happen. I guess that was probably a true statement in his eyes.
Incredible story ! What a jerk lol
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
Railcarmover
BANNED

Pretty hard to pour and line bore bearings if you don't have a machine shop and years of experience in your back pocket. But you can assemble and engine,and choose what parts go in it.same with the rest of the chassis.you can do your own body and paint,you can do your own upholstery,wire the car,break down and install tires, bed a windshield,install a top.

Will you win shows? some do,but most don't. What you will have is your car,not something you wrote a check for.Is that better than someone who trades his hard work for cash and gives that cash to someone who builds a car for him?No,I don't think so,the biggest thing is don't be a dick about it..home restorer,pro restorer, purchaser of services..we are all model a people.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Pretty hard to pour and line bore bearings if you don't have a machine shop and years of experience in your back pocket. But you can assemble and engine,and choose what parts go in it.same with the rest of the chassis.you can do your own body and paint,you can do your own upholstery,wire the car,break down and install tires, bed a windshield,install a top.

Will you win shows? some do,but most don't. What you will have is your car,not something you wrote a check for.Is that better than someone who trades his hard work for cash and gives that cash to someone who builds a car for him?No,I don't think so,the biggest thing is don't be a dick about it..home restorer,pro restorer, purchaser of services..we are all model a people.

True, and the thing that is most ironic to me is, -that in this day & time where knowledge is so easy to obtain, talent to implement the obtained knowledge is so rare to find!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #30
Railcarmover
BANNED

Do you have a hard time finding a hat to fit?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:09 AM   #31
holdover

"that in this day & time where knowledge is so easy to obtain, talent to implement the obtained knowledge is so rare to find!"

Best statement I have seen in a long time! Like the old statement "give a person a fish, feed them for a day, teach them how to fish, feed them for life." Skill to accomplish something can be learned if the desire to do it is there, talent to do it the best that can be, is a true find, I call it being an artist, what ever the palette.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 AM   #32
Dodge

Did most of it. I didn’t do the upholstery or top. I did’t pour my mains but did line bore it.
I didn’t pour the rods or bore them. Didn’t grind the crank or cam but did resurface the lifters. I didn’t do the plating or recore the radiator.
It’s time to do the brakes again and I’m going to let Randy Gross put his drums on my hubs
So did I restore my car my self, yes but I got by with a little help from my friends as the song goes...
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:37 AM   #33
rer_239

i was told my roadster was restored in the '70's. i can truthfully say i am in the process of mechanically re-restoring it.
rer_239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtutton View Post
Hello,
I have a 1930 Tudor and one of the questions I regularly get is "Did you restore the car yourself?".

So here is my question....I have been telling people that "I bought it restored, but I maintain and repair it myself." If they don't know about old cars being used as a daily driver they picture me driving through the quick lube shop a couple of times a year like they do with their new car. What one sentence phrase can you use to let people know that these cars take 20 times more maintenance than modern cars and when there is a problem you can't take it to your local mechanic or car dealer?

Actually, this is a question that has been asked for the 50+ years I have been around this hobby.

Back in the '60s & '70s, it seemed (-amongst your peers) the pride in Model-A ownership was not necessarily to say that you owned one, -but to be able to say you restored it yourself. It was a different time back then. Most hobbyists owned a garage and a full set of tools. Along with that, they generally had a decent ability to work on things mechanical. You also did not have the distractions like today such as more than 3 TV channels, internet, and countless social activities that we are expected to attend.

In today's society, the most hobbyists are at a distinct disadvantage in that time is probably the most precious commodity they have, and many just do not possess mechanical skills like their father or grandfather did. I think that many, -and I mean MANY people asking this question have a huge admiration for a(ny) person that can do even the basics of restoration simply because they do not possess those same skills. That is why sites like YouTube are so popular in the "How-To" areas because viewers can watch a video and dream about them doing the same thing.

So the correct answer when asked if you did the restoration is "Yes, some of it.". Let that open the door to share how you accomplished what you did and the obstacles you overcame. They will be just as interested in that as they would someone who drug one out of a ditch in the woods.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #35
Railcarmover
BANNED

Have a young apprentice at the shop,he's an 'old soul',he thinks before he speaks, he approaches his work logically and stops performing a task when he's unsure of what he's doing. We need help in the field fixing car movers,I told him he's going in a truck..he said "I dont have the training or experience" with a fearful look.I said there is only one way to get both,go and do..Those who possess the skills faced their fears and did the task,gaining knowledge and experience on the way,its apprehension that stops you from learning something new. Nothing replaces the sense of accomplishment,confidence and skill gained from it...no matter how old you are..
Old 09-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #36
burner31

Yep, I've done it all, with a little help from my Son.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006845.jpg (149.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IM006745.jpg (94.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IM006792.jpg (103.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_102207_resized (2).jpg (66.1 KB, 20 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #37
Synchro909

Quote:
Have a young apprentice at the shop,he's an 'old soul',he thinks before he speaks, he approaches his work logically and stops performing a task when he's unsure of what he's doing. We need help in the field fixing car movers,I told him he's going in a truck..he said "I dont have the training or experience" with a fearful look.I said there is only one way to get both,go and do..Those who possess the skills faced their fears and did the task,gaining knowledge and experience on the way,its apprehension that stops you from learning something new. Nothing replaces the sense of accomplishment,confidence and skill gained from it...no matter how old you are..
I learned my approach to doing a new job from my late father, an excellent toolmaker and machinist including gear cutting. He told me that when there was a job to be done, there are three types of people who might tackle it:

The first knows what he is doing, gets on with it and does it quickly and well. Job done!
The second takes a look, reralises he doesn't know how to do it so he takes it to the first guy.
The third has no clue and is so stupid, he doesn't know he doesn't know. He rips into it, stuffs it up and has to take it to the first guy to get it fixed.

He told me "If you're not that first guy, be the second but whatever happens, be smart enough to not be the third."
Old 09-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #38
Hitman

Quote:
Do you have a hard time finding a hat to fit?
Disappointing Railcar.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote