Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
ezzmoney

Default Skips Pumps

Hi Guys. I have a 1950 Coupe with the Flathead V/8 with the Edelbrock Aluminum heads and 4 Barrel intake with an Edelbrock carb and Mallory electronic ignition. It has anew high priced aluminum Radiator and both a electronic and 6 blade fan. It tends to run hot and I think I have read every old post on the internet about how to cool flatheads down. This is a newly rebuilt motor from Cornetts in Somerset KY. I am seriously considering Having my water Pumps rebuilt by Skips as my next move. I am rather baffled though because from what I have read these motors run hotter without thermostats. (as a matter of fact I tied it and it seems to be true) My question is, Doesn't running a motor without a thermostat in it increase the flow? If that's true what is the advantage of Skips or any other new type pump that is supposed to increase flow?? Am I missing something? I know this has been cussed and discussed but I would like a few of you guys thoughts before I remove my pumps and send them off. I might also say that I have had 3 other flatheads and had no problems with those at all as far as overheating. Thanks, Dan
ezzmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
super flat

Default Re: Skips Pumps

Your electric fan may be blocking air flow and also do you have a good radiator shroud? Post some pictures of your setup and maybe we can help. Gary
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Kube

Dan, I have never seen any lower temperatures running George's pumps. Of course, my engines are all properly rebuilt along with all of the accessories (carb, pump, distributor...) as well as having the radiator re-cored.
Still, I have him do all of my pumps as he does do beautiful work at a very reasonable price.
I think with careful study of any and all replies, you'll quickly realize the guys that saw an improvement were simply adding a "band-aid" of sorts and helping an otherwise lacking system and / or component(s).

It sounds as if you do properly rebuild your engines and related components. That makes me wonder if the engine is still "tight" (fresh) and you need to run it more.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
tubman

I would check the advance curve in the distributor. A lot of the late model Mallory's came with SBC advance curve (around 36 total degrees) while a flathead requires much less (in the 20's). I had the same problem with a n MSD distributor on a 276 Mercury.

Also "Kube" is correct about the engine may be too "tight". I had this problem with a fresh 327 SBC. The car ran hot; not so hot that you couldn't drive it, but if I let it sit and idle for any period of time, it would boil. I tried everything with no help, so I just drove it (being careful not to idle to long). All of a sudden, at about 800 miles, it started getting better, and by 1000 miles, everything was fine (and still is).

I also believe changing water pumps is barking up the wrong tree. The later pumps already have the better designed impellers which are responsible for the improved cooling in the older pumps.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

I think you need to define HOT and how it was measured. My avatar roadster which is a high performance flathead, with NO thermostats would not get over 110 degrees. I had to put thermostats in to get it to run well at a proper temperature. More info is needed to have others make some reasonable suggestions.
The first thing I would try is to remove the electric fan and get it out of the way. Then if still running to warm, set an electric fan like from your house in front of the radiator and blow air through it.
It could be like Kube said just set up a bit too tight. What pistons/rings are in there and at what clearance? (if you know).
Good luck.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
Tim Ayers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would also carefully check your block to make sure it is really truly clean. May be hard with the heads still on it.

I had a block that was dipped and baked. After some prodding around, I still managed to get out approximately a coffee cans worth of casting sand and misc. crap.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #7
Tinker

What's HOT?

Could be ignition.

Ezzy come, Ezzy go....
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
EdB

following many good suggestions, my most notable improvement came from following "Old Henry's" technique on cleaning out the block. also fabricated a shield to direct air thru the radiator. car is a 41.
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

I think you should check the Ign advance, Just to eliminate it. Pretty simple with a toiming light.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #10
ezzmoney

Thanks for all the replies . I do have a good shroud on it and have made sure all the original tin is on it to direct the air through the radiator. It had AC on it and I took the condenser off because I figured that was blocking the Radiator. That helped quite a bit. I had the electric fan off and that didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference but it does cool down faster at idle with it on. I should say that in 80 degree weather it doesn't heat up but in the 90's going up a fairly steep mile long hill it gets up to 220-230. I agree about the pumps. Mine are new and there is no reason they shouldn't be good enough. I'll work on the timing and see if that helps, Though I think its pretty close. Hopefully if I put a few more easy miles on it that might loosen her up some. If not i'll pull the heads and see if I find anything in the cooling jackets. As I have said this is my 4th 8BA and I have never had these types of Cooling problems. Guess its my turn LOL. Thanks Again
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 AM   #11
uncle buck

Also you should take a look at your air fuel mixture. Just like the timing , running lean / rich can affect your engine temp too, especially if you are running the Edelbrock carb as it was out of the box.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #12
Mike in AZ

Welcome to the ‘Barn. Post pics if you can. We love pics. Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 AM   #13
Branded

Not attempting to hijack the thread but, I hope you have better luck with Cornett’s work than I did.
Branded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
Bored&Stroked

As mentioned, the later pumps already have the good impellers and ball-bearing shafts/seals, so you should be okay with what you have. Timing would be my first check. You'll need somewhere around 22 - 25 degrees of total advance in your setup. Unless you've already marked your front pulley, you'll need to mark it so that you can actually determine total advance. Another consideration is that you may not have enough radiator to cool the engine. It doesn't matter what it cost of what it is made out of - if it doesn't have the capacity and size to handle the heat . . . then you gradually overheat the engine under load. Best of luck - report back on what you find with your timing.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
richard crow

eng rebuilt was eng bored if yes how much two much can cause a prolbum
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
19Fordy

How many miles are on the rebuilt engine?
What is the temp. reading after idling for 20 min.?
What is the temp. on the highway?
What is the ambient temp when you take these readings.
Are you using an infrared hand held temp gun to take readings?
Is your cooling system pressurized?
What type of coolant are you using?
Is your engine running too lean?
Is your timing retarded?
Did you have these problems before engine was rebuilt?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
ezzmoney

Thanks for the reply. I have been a little suspicious of that and do need to check that out. I'm not much of a carb guy. Hopefully I can find someone local that can look into that for me. I have ordered a Gunson Colortune Kit. Maybe that will point me in the right direction as far as any carb issues. Thanks Again.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
ezzmoney

I bought the car from an older fellow who had Cornetts build the motor. When I was a Teen Cornetts were one of the top Race Car engine builders around here but I imagine the Original owner is no longer doing the work there. The Man I bought it from had just finished the resto and said he was selling it because his wife had recently been diagnosed with dementia. I know now that I didn't do as good of a job in checking out the car due to my sympathy for his situation. I drove it a short way and the original temp gauge didn't show any problems so I loaded it on a trailer and brought it 150 miles back home. The next day was a warm one and when I took ride it boiled over. I put an aftermarket temp gauge on it and discovered it would get up to 230-240 when climbing a hill. I called him several times and got no answer. I even drove back to his house and no one would answer the door. I realized the I was on my own. It had Vintage Air Conditioning on it so the first thing I did was remove the condenser from in front of the radiator. That helped . The next thing I did was buy a shroud. That helped also. I'm getting there in bits and pieces and was thinking about trying Skips water pumps as I read many posts about them lowering temps as much as 20 Degrees. I think at this time I will concentrate on timing and the carb. This is my 4th flathead and have never had this much problems with over heating with stock pumps so even though Skip makes a great product it may not be the fix for my issues. Sorry to hear you had problems with Cornetts and I couldn't recommend them myself now.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
19Fordy

ezzmoney; if you are still running the car with A/C "ON" that will raise the operating temp of your engine.

Are you radiator hoses collapsing? Check the temp of your radiator at the top where the water comes in and then check the bottom of the radiator where the water recirculates to the pumps. Should be a difference.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
tubman

Checking a cooling system is much easier if you have a hand-held infrared temperature gauge. It will allow you to pinpoint the problem (e.g the difference in temperature between the top and bottom of the radiator etc.). They are available on Amazon for less than twenty bucks. No old car guy should be without one. Hell, I even used mine to check out the little lady's oven and found it was 30 degrees off. I was a hero for a few minutes, anyway.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote