Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
Redpond2

Default 1932 BB Dump

Hello All,

Would like to introduce myself as the resident noob. I am fairly competent, mechanically, when looking at 90's model vehicles and newer. Beings that I am under 30 and I have just recently acquired my first antique, I am coming across a lot of tech that I simply have no prior understanding of. Fair warning for some likely seemingly goofball questions.

On to the truck itself.. been on the hunt for a few months. looked at a rough 31 slant window fordor. knew, then, I wanted a truck. facebook would have me traveling all over the US if it had its way; eating lunch with a friend he gave me a number of a guy who may have an A/AA for sale. call, get pics, realize its not an AA, rather a 32-34 BB w/ dump bed and its clean, and within my budget. long story short I picked it up thursday 5/12/22 and verified it is a 32' BB with the firewall being bolted to cab rather than riveted

I got it wedged into my small garage/shop and start the inspect/diagnose this weekend. radiator holds water, plenty of acorns in the head so I remove it for cleaning and removed pan to look at babbitts and check condition. pistons show "STD" and cylinder walls look new. At this point the consensus is the original engine was replaced with a factory ford replacement, which production stopped 1941? nonetheless. internals are immaculate. really dodged a bullet there. everything is free by hand turning, valves a little sticky but got some 50/50 on them so free the guides up some.

my current questions:

wheels; I need to find at least 2, to get it back as a dually, anyone have some for sale?

I'm missing quite a bit in the interior. first things are gauges, seat bottoms and back. good resources?

literature!! I am having a difficult time finding online literature that pertains to this particular model. Everything is A specific or V8 B. ANY help in this arena would be greatly appreciated. I am a reader and want this thing together mostly correct.

Goals for this truck are still in the making. I want it running/stopping under its own power, first and foremost. beyond that I am unsure if I am going to leave the rusty/red Patina or paint it. Have no intention of making this a show truck at this time. if my intention changes, that will be determined further down the road depending on budget and how much effort I am willing to put into it.

I have been reading on Sugarmakers thread on a very similar truck, Very cool and insightful.

DavidG- I notice you seem to have a good lead on literature, from that aforementioned thread. any specific recommendations?

anyway; enough with the monologue. enjoy the pictures, I look forward to any help given.

Heres another noob question; forum related.. what format do I upload pictures that allow a description on each individual picture? TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image000000.jpg (59.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1206.jpg (109.6 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1220.jpg (46.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6297.jpg (41.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6320.jpg (39.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6327.jpg (79.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6332.jpg (108.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6333.jpg (112.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6334.jpg (109.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6335.jpg (108.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6336.jpg (96.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6348.jpg (73.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6349.jpg (33.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6351.jpg (31.2 KB, 71 views)
Redpond2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1932 BB Dump

Welcome aboard!
Your truck is cool! Me? I'd leave the patina.

You'll find there is one resident '32 GURU, David, here on the barn. Listen to the man's advice
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #3
Newc

Lube the door hinges real well-avoid breaking doors. Don't worry about wheels-they will show up. Lots of good parts there. Burned '32 came home. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Lube the door hinges real well-avoid breaking doors. Don't worry about wheels-they will show up. Lots of good parts there. Newc
Door hinge pins are currently nails.. one of the long list of things to replace. do have a broken striker/ male end of door latch. so that will likely be replaced.

current goal is to get engine running via auxiliary fuel tank.

then work my way to brakes and interior to get on the road. then to wheels, dump bed, etc.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #5
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Welcome aboard!
Your truck is cool! Me? I'd leave the patina.

You'll find there is one resident '32 GURU, David, here on the barn. Listen to the man's advice
I saw him giving fine wisdom on Sugarmakers thread. Hoping to get some wisdom from him as well.

currently keep a tab open with sugamakers thread up at all times. haven't caught up to even this year yet but already learning a lot from that one and DavidG seems to be the one I keep looking back on for solid advice given, repeatedly. looking forward to any info he can give.

(likely leaving it patina) its in such good shape though I don't want to put that in stone just yet.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #6
cmbrucew

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Congratulations Redpond
Welcome to the fordbarn. Very nice truck
What part of this country do you call home?
Bruce
Old 05-16-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
petehoovie

[QUOTE=Redpond2;2130199 enough with the monologue. enjoy the pictures, I look forward to any help given.[/QUOTE]

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:52 PM   #8
cas3

By golly, you and Sugar Maker are gonna be good friends ! cool truck, welcome to the barn !
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #9
Bob C

Great looking truck. It's hard to tell in the pictures but it looks like the cylinders
may have bee sleeved back to STD.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #10
GB SISSON

A hearty welcome to you Redpond! I'm a real fan of the bigger trucks and have a lot of history with them, including hauling home a surface rust red '32 AA when I was in my early 40's. Seeing your photos was like deja-vu all over again. Can't wait to follow your progress, and what an amazing engine that thing has! Holy crap. And yes, what state are you in?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #11
DavidG

Hi Redpond,

Welcome to the barn. As you likely gathered from Chris's thread, I sort of like '32 Fords, all shapes, sizes, and countries of origin and how can I not like your neat truck hidden away in what for once what actually looks like a real barn.

It looks pretty complete with a few typical things missing like the horn, original head lamps, rear view mirror bracket and no doubt others, but no show stoppers; its condition looks remarkable. One of its features that is not often encountered on trucks sold in North America is the spare tire mounted in the left front fender rather than the typical mounting opposite the driver.

The engine looks to be a real prize as it has a counterbalanced crankshaft which the truck's original engine likely did not have. Judging from your photos, the cylinder block was sleeved, hence the standard bore pistons.

As for literature, you're lucky as a lot of 1932 Ford literature survives in both its original and reprinted form. There are four pieces that I consider essential building blocks and all have been reprinted at one time or another and they and original examples show up on ebay and Amazon regularly or are available new from parts dealers. They are: the '32 four-cylinder owners manual, the '32 Service Bulletins, the 1928-32 chassis parts catalog, and the 1932 body parts catalog. Ask Chris if he thinks it is worthwhile, but if he does, the two-volume spiral bound 620 page "The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide" published by The Early Ford V8 Club of America treats Model B fours on an equal footing with the V8s and whether you restore it or leave your truck basically as is, you likely find more than enough in its pages to make it a worthwhile purchase.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #12
corvette8n

Great find welcome to the barn.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #13
sugarmaker

Redpond,
From one newbie to another welcome to the Ford Barn. With the good folks here you wont be a newbie for long! Wow your truck is wonderful! We probably will need to talk at some point too. PM me and we can share info.
Your engine internals look like it has been freshened not to long ago.
The truck looks really good. As David mentioned I thought I saw the hardware fore the spare on the drivers side too??
I am afraid I will have a whole bunch of questions. Like if they did mount the spare there how the heck did they get in and out? I guess just from the pass side? Which actually makes sense. Because the key for the doors is on the pass side and the gas filler is one the pass side too.
On the seats. Well David helped me understand the seat frame design. I built my seat frames. I got my 32 truck custom seat springs from Snyder's. (the custom part was to give me a little more room in the cab)
The wheels? I had a lead in northwest Ohio some time ago and dropped it because mine came together ok. I might be able to dig that up, but dont hold your breath. Be very careful taking the rings off the rims as to not distort them any more than nessesary.
Tires tubes and flaps? I had to get items from different suppliers, to get what I wanted.

You plans and goals sound like what most of us want to do. Get this thing running stopping and driving! I have been playing with mine for a year! Still have much to do.

I will try to help where I can. So many folks have helped me with questions and parts!
Let us know where your located that may help track down some things too.

My long winding thread on my truck is doing exactly what I intended getting others to get there projects moving along.

You dump bed is different than the Garwood or the Gallion beds that I have seen. It may be a later one? Is it hydraulic lift.

By the way any recommendations from David G. are to be recognized as providing light on your project from someone that has been there done that and "wrote the books" on the 32 Fords!

Looking forward to following your progress too.
Pictures? You did a great job. I am trying to get photobucket to work for me again. I like using a third party hosting site. and posting pis at 800 x 450 ish pixel size.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 05-17-2022 at 07:42 AM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #14
sugarmaker

Redpond,
My best guess from your pictures is that your in Kentucky? How close am I? Off to work on old stuff Maybe take the 32 for a spin if the roads are dry.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #15
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Hi Redpond,

Welcome to the barn. As you likely gathered from Chris's thread, I sort of like '32 Fords, all shapes, sizes, and countries of origin and how can I not like your neat truck hidden away in what for once what actually looks like a real barn.

It looks pretty complete with a few typical things missing like the horn, original head lamps, rear view mirror bracket and no doubt others, but no show stoppers; its condition looks remarkable. One of its features that is not often encountered on trucks sold in North America is the spare tire mounted in the left front fender rather than the typical mounting opposite the driver.

The engine looks to be a real prize as it has a counterbalanced crankshaft which the truck's original engine likely did not have. Judging from your photos, the cylinder block was sleeved, hence the standard bore pistons.

As for literature, you're lucky as a lot of 1932 Ford literature survives in both its original and reprinted form. There are four pieces that I consider essential building blocks and all have been reprinted at one time or another and they and original examples show up on ebay and Amazon regularly or are available new from parts dealers. They are: the '32 four-cylinder owners manual, the '32 Service Bulletins, the 1928-32 chassis parts catalog, and the 1932 body parts catalog. Ask Chris if he thinks it is worthwhile, but if he does, the two-volume spiral bound 620 page "The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide" published by The Early Ford V8 Club of America treats Model B fours on an equal footing with the V8s and whether you restore it or leave your truck basically as is, you likely find more than enough in its pages to make it a worthwhile purchase.
Thank you David- I will get right on those books.

condition really is remarkable all around- only detrimental rust is on the dump bed itself, easy patchwork though. I have seen some 10 year old chevrolets with much worse frames than this truck.

I had not really noticed the spare tire mount as different, but can see the weirdness now, being on the driver side! I will have to dig in to see if it will impede entering exiting once I get a proper socket, and the wheels off.

thanks again.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #16
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Redpond,
From one newbie to another welcome to the Ford Barn. With the good folks here you wont be a newbie for long! Wow your truck is wonderful! We probably will need to talk at some point too. PM me and we can share info.
Your engine internals look like it has been freshened not to long ago.
The truck looks really good. As David mentioned I thought I saw the hardware fore the spare on the drivers side too??
I am afraid I will have a whole bunch of questions. Like if they did mount the spare there how the heck did they get in and out? I guess just from the pass side? Which actually makes sense. Because the key for the doors is on the pass side and the gas filler is one the pass side too.
On the seats. Well David helped me understand the seat frame design. I built my seat frames. I got my 32 truck custom seat springs from Snyder's. (the custom part was to give me a little more room in the cab)
The wheels? I had a lead in northwest Ohio some time ago and dropped it because mine came together ok. I might be able to dig that up, but dont hold your breath. Be very careful taking the rings off the rims as to not distort them any more than nessesary.
Tires tubes and flaps? I had to get items from different suppliers, to get what I wanted.

You plans and goals sound like what most of us want to do. Get this thing running stopping and driving! I have been playing with mine for a year! Still have much to do.

I will try to help where I can. So many folks have helped me with questions and parts!
Let us know where your located that may help track down some things too.

My long winding thread on my truck is doing exactly what I intended getting others to get there projects moving along.

You dump bed is different than the Garwood or the Gallion beds that I have seen. It may be a later one? Is it hydraulic lift.

By the way any recommendations from David G. are to be recognized as providing light on your project from someone that has been there done that and "wrote the books" on the 32 Fords!

Looking forward to following your progress too.
Pictures? You did a great job. I am trying to get photobucket to work for me again. I like using a third party hosting site. and posting pis at 800 x 450 ish pixel size.
Regards,
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Redpond,
My best guess from your pictures is that your in Kentucky? How close am I? Off to work on old stuff Maybe take the 32 for a spin if the roads are dry.
Regards,
Chris
Chris/others- good guess! south central Kentucky is home, and actually found the truck about 30 minutes from home-base.

I am not sure about access for drivers side door as it had not even crossed my mind that would be in the way. I will work on getting wheels off and test fitting one up to see how tight it will be. I am still younger and agile enough, and not a terribly tall or big person so I should be able to squeeze in there if need be.

The dump bed is PTO driven hydraulic lift- appears to work from inside the cab mostly. there is a plate on the side of the dump bed that I need to do some cleaning to get all the details. Looks to be a Canton all steel Dump body bed made in OH. Model 3H. have not dug into yet.

I found your thread after I had found the truck, pre-purchase. I still have it pulled up on a tab on the home computer as I am still reading the saga. At the point where engine #2 got brazed and initial reinstalling started taking place- No spoilers! ill get to current day soon enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DUMP BED SERIAL PLATE.jpg (137.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #17
Bob C

I'm surprised Ford didn't use the indented door like on the 1931 AA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indented door.jpg (54.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg x82-B Indented door c.jpg (48.8 KB, 18 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #18
tubman

Never in my life would have thought that I'd want my own dump truck. First "Sugarmaker" and now this. I'm getting the urge.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Welcome on board - looks like a great Truck project and Sugarmaker and you are bound to be fast friends! LOL

The engine looks to me like it was rebuilt sometime very shortly before the truck was parked. It looks like I can still see a bunch of "lubriplate" around the rods/journals, on the front cam gear, etc.. If the piston tops were actually that clean - then it has not been ran at all. Did you clean them up?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #20
Redpond2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Never in my life would have thought that I'd want my own dump truck. First "Sugarmaker" and now this. I'm getting the urge.
I don’t blame you, I would do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Welcome on board - looks like a great Truck project and Sugarmaker and you are bound to be fast friends! LOL

The engine looks to me like it was rebuilt sometime very shortly before the truck was parked. It looks like I can still see a bunch of "lubriplate" around the rods/journals, on the front cam gear, etc.. If the piston tops were actually that clean - then it has not been ran at all. Did you clean them up?
Only cleaning I did on cylinders/piston tops was some compressed air to get the “big chunks” out of there.

Already gotten a lot of information and further in the weeds thanks to Chris’s thread. Working on getting to my “10 posts” count to PM him some contact info. Hoping to work with him and compare the two trucks/projects/part procurement/etc.