Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2022, 09:25 PM   #1
metro1

Default Body Panel Replacements

It looks like there are body panels for sale at a lot of places. Catalogs, internet, Ebay, just to name a few. Where are some of the places that guys on the forum have purchased rockers ,floor pans and other metal panels that they were satisfied with. Some are more expensive than others which doesn't always mean they are better. Some of the rockers I saw are 22ga. and some are 19ga.The thicker ones are less expensive.
metro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
JimNNN

Default Re: Body Panel Replacements

Yes, sometimes things are more complicated than they first seem. I ordered a driver side front floor pan for my '65 when I first bought the car. I later decided that the passenger side floor pan should be also be replaced. By that time I found a less expensive unit made out of 18 ga. instead of the 20 ga. of the first unit I bought, so I ordered it instead. Didn't look exactly the same, but it's a mostly invisible non-mechanical part, so who cares? When it arrived I was impressed with how much heavier it was than the first unit. Good, right?

The problem was that the additional stamping and contours of the first pan I bought helped make it more rigid, but I couldn't really tell that until both units were installed and I could compare their rigidity. I suspect they make the cheaper pans out of thicker steel to make up for the their less rigid design. That's my theory, anyway. I don't know if this translates in any way to other sheet metal parts, but that's my experience with my floor pans.

Both pans are good enough to serve their purpose, IMO, so I won't be changing anything. I bought the first pan - which is more visually like the original - at Mac's, as I recall. I bought the 2nd cheaper pan at a place called Classic 2 Current. The place that I've heard good things about since I bought my parts is a place called Classic Sheet Metal in North Carolina.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Some of the repro parts suppliers offered repro floor pans that are not exact duplicate of originals, but they will fit with some cutting and coaxing. Some offer a mixture of those plus panels made by EMS, which are about as close to exact duplicate you're gonna get. At the time when I was shopping for panels, the EMS panels were more expensive, but much better quality and easier fit
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
metro1

Thanks for the reply. It looks like EMS stops at 1958 and Classic Sheet Metal does not have 1959 parts which are the ones I need. I'll keep looking around.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: Body Panel Replacements

1959 was an extension of the 57/58 design and 1960 was an extension of 1959.

Not much demand I would think.

There are yards in the SW that will cut the pan(s) out and ship them. I don't know how far you want to go. Is the pan itself eaten or is it just the rocker panel reinforcement?

Many of these sheet metal vendors have what are called universal panels/pieces where you would have to cut to fit.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #6
metro1

The entire rocker is rusted away including the back part that connects to floor. The floor appears to be OK viewing from under the car. I think I can purchase what they call a "rocker cover" and add a back piece to make it work. There are also other rusted parts at the end of the rockers I will have to replace. Once I get it all cut open I will see exactly what I need to do. It's definitely going to be a challenge but that's why I bought this "rust bucket". I'm not looking to make it a show car just something to drive around.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Body Panel Replacements

Here is an ILL of the LOWER BODY.

If too small, maybe print it out so you can see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHEET METAL - 1959 FORD 4DR LWR BODY.jpg (20.8 KB, 10 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:24 PM   #8
frank long island

imo the cover panels are thin i would shop around ck similar models or look for something close to the shape if your not looking to go to barret jackson for the backing if you have a steel shop in your area they can shear a piece 0f 18/20 gauge for support have them put a 90 bend to attach to floor then you could use the cover for shape
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #9
metro1

https://www.jamcosuspension.com/prod...d/galaxieseems I found what seems to be a good deal. Rockers for $40 made from 19 ga. steel. Too good to be true? Anyone used this company before?
Old 05-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
metro1

https://www.jamcosuspension.com/prod...r/rocker-panel