Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
MyTwOfOrDs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Default how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

When I flip my dist and check for 3/8 off one hole thats fine....OOOOKAY. But on the other side its like 5/8. YES I'm on the wide side
MyTwOfOrDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
38bill
Senior Member
 
38bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 889
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Are you trying to set both sets of points on a crab dist?

If so you only "time" the one set. Here is some info from VanPelts

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...str-timing.htm

Last edited by 38bill; 11-16-2020 at 06:07 PM.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
KiWinUS
Senior Member
 
KiWinUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte NC KiWi-L100 available here
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Well how many thousands in an inch? There’s got to be a million of them. There little bitty fuckers. ��
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,508
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Well how many thousands in an inch? Thereís got to be a million of them. There little bitty fuckers. ��
Nope, you're wrong. Not even close to a million. In fact, there are exactly one thousand -no more / no less
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,443
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Nope, you're wrong. Not even close to a million. In fact, there are exactly one thousand -no more / no less
Did you count them?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
MyTwOfOrDs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Are you trying to set both sets of points on a crab dist?

If so you only "time" the one set. Here is some info from VanPelts

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...str-timing.htm

Checkaroony. Line up with one hole. Pi55 on the other
MyTwOfOrDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,508
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Did you count them?
I was a tool and die maker so yep, I did - numerous times.
Even counted million's when it was necessary.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,443
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

I worked in tooling as well, but guess I was too lazy to do the counting! A lot of our stuff was fine work, but a lot was large scale as well. We did a lot of work with optical devices, somewhat like using a transit.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
KiWinUS
Senior Member
 
KiWinUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte NC KiWi-L100 available here
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Nope, you're wrong. Not even close to a million. In fact, there are exactly one thousand -no more / no less
HaHa yes Kube I too have counted them. Only down to tenths though on a regular basis back in m my very successful race engine business at my early 20ís.
My statement was a standing joke I would ask. Some of the answers were shocking.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
Zeke3
Senior Member
 
Zeke3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 482
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
HaHa yes Kube I too have counted them. Only down to tenths though on a regular basis back in m my very successful race engine business at my early 20ís.
My statement was a standing joke I would ask. Some of the answers were shocking.
I got a chuckle out of it, thanks.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #11
Mac VP
Senior Member
 
Mac VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,154
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Was that a linear inch..... or a square inch....or perhaps a cubic inch?
__________________
VANPELT SALES LLC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Office: 513-724-9486
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #12
mfirth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: ohio
Posts: 516
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Kube [Mike], you sound just like my dad.......accurate down to the "unth". He had a shop & made initiaters for F-85 ejection seats......mucho skill and percise everything. Do i right ......good enough was Not good enough.
mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,508
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
Kube [Mike], you sound just like my dad.......accurate down to the "unth". He had a shop & made initiaters for F-85 ejection seats......mucho skill and percise everything. Do i right ......good enough was Not good enough.
mike
I did a lot of military application stuff... jet engine parts, tank engine and transmission parts.
Yeah, "good enough" was simply not a thing.
I truly enjoyed my career. I was able to use my mind and my hands and get paid for it!
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #14
old31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,401
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Well how many thousands in an inch? There’s got to be a million of them. There little bitty fuckers. ��
Yes, in the measuring industry they are known as LBF's!
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
Kube
Senior Member
 
Kube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 6,508
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
HaHa yes Kube I too have counted them. Only down to tenths though on a regular basis back in m my very successful race engine business at my early 20’s.
My statement was a standing joke I would ask. Some of the answers were shocking.
I knew you were in jest. I was attempting to ride along
On a serious note, I did (often) have to measure to the millionth's.
I suppose the guy flying the jet may not know that but I'm willing to bet he appreciates the fact I helped keep him airborne.
__________________
"I can explain it for you. However, I can't understand it for you".
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan
Senior Member
 
JM 35 Sedan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Near Rising Sun, Maryland
Posts: 10,222
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

I thought this was a trick question when I read the header and y'all have given some great responses
__________________
John

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 7,428
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Was that a linear inch.....?
Aha! Was that "guy" inches, or "girl" inches? DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE


We WILL discover aliens on another planet...and the 'nutsoids' will surely-enough be sending $TRILLION$ of our bucks in aid!
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #18
flatford8
Senior Member
 
flatford8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lyman,ME.
Posts: 1,827
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I did a lot of military application stuff... jet engine parts, tank engine and transmission parts.
Yeah, "good enough" was simply not a thing.
I truly enjoyed my career. I was able to use my mind and my hands and get paid for it!
My son is a tool and die maker at the local shipyard in Kittery, ME., working on stuff for nuclear subs. Heís told me just holding a part in his hand will warm it enough to take it out of tolerance. Crazy!.....Mark
__________________
I'm thinkin' about crankin'
My ragged ol' truck up
and haulin' myself into town.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #19
KiWinUS
Senior Member
 
KiWinUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte NC KiWi-L100 available here
Posts: 2,206
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Was that a linear inch..... or a square inch....or perhaps a cubic inch?
Mac whatís linear. Cubic or Square are way too many numbers for me. I struggle counting my fingers. So I count my left hand first. 10-9-8-7-Six plus five on my right equals Eleven. Perfect math correct. I have Eleven fingers including my thumbs. 🙃
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN
Senior Member
 
V8COOPMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Shore of LAKE HOUSTON
Posts: 7,428
Default Re: how many 1/8s can there be in 3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Mac whatís linear. Cubic or Square are way too many numbers for me. I struggle counting my fingers. So I count my left hand first. 10-9-8-7-Six plus five on my right equals Eleven. Perfect math correct. I have Eleven fingers including my thumbs. 🙃
Whoa! I have 8 fingers, and 2 thumbs. I think that's a little more-perfecter, right? DD
__________________
T5 W/TORQUE TUBE


We WILL discover aliens on another planet...and the 'nutsoids' will surely-enough be sending $TRILLION$ of our bucks in aid!
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.