Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2021, 02:27 AM   #1
Incognito-A

Default CA YOM License Plate Program Question

I know that it is possible to retain year of manufacture plates after they have been previously registered to an appropriate year vehicle in the owner’s name.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to retain/reserve a yom plate that has not been registered to a vehicle in the owner’s name?

Specifically I want to buy a set of plates for a future car and be able to keep the number “clear” in my name.

This question is for California only.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: CA YOM License Plate Program Question

I've got yom plates on my '39 p/u and have had them on 2 other '40 trucks but I'm no authority. I thought I had heard that there was a way to do what you're wanting to do. But according to the DMV web site:

In lieu of the license plates otherwise required for the vehicle, YOM license plates may be assigned to any currently registered:

This is from: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbo...icense-plates/

But as we know the DMV doesn't always know their left hand from their right. I would check with a title service that knows the YOM process and then verify with the DMV what the title service says. There is a member on the HAMB, gimpyshotrods that is a licensed DMV title guy and knows the DMV regs. He might have an answer. Or maybe a plate dealer but they might only want to sell you a plate and not really know the answer.

I say all this because its always best to know the answer for sure BEFORE asking the DMV because you'll probably be given incorrect information when it comes to YOM plates. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
johnneilson

That is a good question, I do not know about reserving the plates.
What I do know is that there are two different sources of causing the yom plates unusable
The first are older motorcycle plates issued after the early plates were expired
The second is/are the personalized plates program
So, you can test plate eligibility by checking availability of personalized plates
That may be your avenue reservation of the personalized plate and register as yom

One note on yom plates it will take 90 days plus to process or it did this last year

Good luck
Old 11-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
…its always best to know the answer for sure BEFORE asking the DMV because you'll probably be given incorrect information when it comes to YOM plates. Good luck.
Which is exactly why I’m asking!

Thanks for the info, I’ve been through the regs, probably should ask the plate guys.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I think you can register the YOM plates in CA and then place them on a non-op status.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Incognito-A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
I think you can register the YOM plates in CA and then place them on a non-op status.
Yes, but I don’t yet have a car to register them to. I would like to buy a nice or NOS set of plates now and get them in the system so as not to risk losing the number later on; as mentioned above to motorcycle or personalized issue.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
J Franklin

Wait until you get the car and then make sure the plate numbers don't match any year in use plate from your State. For specifics ask your DMV.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
ThosD

Not a direct answer, but my recent experience with YOM plates and CA DMV.

I purchased my Model A 5 months ago with YOM plates that had been on the vehicle for at least the last 20 years while it was on non op status. The YOM plate number was on the registration. I was told that YOM plates are now considered vanity plates and I had to provide a signed release of plate number document from the previous owner before I could register the car in my name with the YOM plate number. I now have to pay a yearly vanity plate premium to retain the YOM plate number.
ThosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosD View Post
Not a direct answer, but my recent experience with YOM plates and CA DMV.

I purchased my Model A 5 months ago with YOM plates that had been on the vehicle for at least the last 20 years while it was on non op status. The YOM plate number was on the registration. I was told that YOM plates are now considered vanity plates and I had to provide a signed release of plate number document from the previous owner before I could register the car in my name with the YOM plate number. I now have to pay a yearly vanity plate premium to retain the YOM plate number.
I had a similar experience when I bought my car except it was currently registered. I went to AAA to register and insure it and was told I had to have the previous owner sign off on the plates and pay the YOM fees, referred to as "Special Plate Fee" on the renewal notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito-A View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to retain/reserve a yom plate that has not been registered to a vehicle in the owner’s name?
That is a good question that I am sure others would like an answer to.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-10-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #10
51504bat

Give Shelly at Shelly's Registration Services a call and see what she says. She knows the DMV process inside and out. She handled the vin verification and all the necessary paper work to register a '54 Ranch Wagon I bought with only a bill of sale and a 1972 registration slip. Got the title in the mail after about a month and then applied for YOM plates. All good but my guess is that it will take a lot longer today with Covid, etc.

951-680-4959
Old 11-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
1939mars

Yeah, don't expect things to go fast. I transferred the title for a '31 sport coupe 2 months ago now (mid sept '21). I submitted the YOM plate paperwork at the same time. I called the DMV 2 weeks ago now and they said that getting the title went to special processing of some sort because of the YOM plates. 4-6 month processing time to get the title. Also I am pretty sure that YOM plates have always basically been considered 'vanity plates.' That is what the line item indicates for the registration cost of them every year ($10 extra I think).
1939mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #12
Tom Endy

Dealing with the California DMV can be loads of fun. When trying to register a Model A pick up they will tell you that you need commercial plates (at a higher cost) and they will send you off to have the vehicle weighed somewhere. There is a statute most all DMV employees are not aware of that exempts the requirement. It is attached. Take it with you to the DMV and show it to them when registering a pick up. Also carry it with the registration in the vehicle in case a cop stops you for having passenger plates on a Model A pick-up.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...-up-trucks.pdf
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
51504bat

Correct. Commercial plates not required for a Model A but later year pickups - I believe after 1934 but I could be wrong- require commercial plates with the corresponding weight fees. I do know that I pay weight fees on my '39 p/u. It has YOM plates on it so I get to pay the yearly special plate fee plus weight fees.

Edit. 1936 not 1934

Chapter 13 Commercial Vehicles
13.160 Weight Fee Exemptions
The following commercially-designed vehicles are exempt from weight fees:
Commercial-type motor vehicles manufactured in 1936 or prior (CVC §9401(a))

Last edited by 51504bat; 11-10-2021 at 07:27 PM. Reason: year correction
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #14
Steve in Denver

If you have the physical metal plates in your possession, it would seem to me that no one else could register those numbers, thus, you don't have anything to worry about. It is not like someone is going to have yom plates reproduced and steal your numbers.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #15
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
If you have the physical metal plates in your possession, it would seem to me that no one else could register those numbers, thus, you don't have anything to worry about. It is not like someone is going to have YOM plates reproduced and steal your numbers.

Here in California years ago some of those old numbers were registered to motorcycles. I remember someone in my Model A club came across some YOM plates still in the original DMV wrapper that had been in an attic for years, When he went to resister them he found the numbers were registered to a motorcycle. This was years ago when DMV people were helpful. They contacted the motorcycle owner and said if he would surrender the plates the Model A guy would pay the registration fee for new plates for him. It took a while, but they were eventually able to register the never used YOM plates to their Model A.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
J Franklin

If any year plate is already using your numbers you are out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #17
denniskliesen

I have 2 pickups both have YOM plates. Neither get charged vanity fee, one is a 30 the other a 46 and neither are commercial YOM plates. YOM plates are owned by an individual not the state of California. If you sell a vehicle in CA you have to turn in vanity plates. Both times after I bought my pickups I registered them and applied for title. After I received my title in the mail, I went down to DMV with my YOM plates that were signed off from previous owner with the paper work that previous owner filled out and signed. It took 3 months to get my YOM plates registration cleared and year and month stickers. That was March of 2021. In answer to OP, no you can not reserve your YOM plates until you want to use them. Buy the vehicle first and only after your have the title, then apply with your YOM plates.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:56 AM   #18
al's28/33

Just order them as Dick said in Post #5 and have them as "non-operational" then they are yours and reserved for when you want them. You could assign them to an existing vehicle for the "order" process then reassign them later for your new car and use the other plates back on your original car. Lots of paperwork and money spent but you'll have it your way!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:09 AM   #19
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
…In answer to OP, no you can not reserve your YOM plates until you want to use them. Buy the vehicle first and only after your have the title, then apply with your YOM plates.
That’s what I thought but was hoping someone had experience to the contrary.

After reading the regs it seems you may retain a YOM number after it has been registered to a vehicle you own but not before.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:15 AM   #20
Incognito-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
If you have the physical metal plates in your possession, it would seem to me that no one else could register those numbers, thus, you don't have anything to worry about. It is not like someone is going to have yom plates reproduced and steal your numbers.
Unfortunately here in CA the DMV (department of motor vehicles) reissues numbers if deems to be “dead” or out of use. It’s the early bird gets the worm, it doesn’t matter if you own a previously issued plate, if it is not in the system and someone claims that number as a personalized plate then they own it.