Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Zephyr Brakes

I installed Zephyr brakes on my '39 pickup for the added safety of the self energizing feature. They were working fine until this past year. The stopping action is erratic. I get wheel lock up and pull. I have adjusted the brakes several times, even going to the book (Motors) for step by step procedures in case I was omitting or adding a step that wasn't necessary. To day I did a Major brake adjustment.
A major brake adjustment is centering the anchor pin to the drum. The Zephyr drums have a slot in the outer edge to measure the distance of the secondary shoe to the drum. Since I am using the wide 5 wheels and drums, I do not have the slot to check the distance from the secondary shoe to the drum.
In lieu of measuring the distance from the shoe to the drum, I tighten the shoes to just able to turn the drum. Then I loosen the anchor pin and tap the pin up and down to see if the drum will turn. If the drum turns, I tighten the shoes another click and repeat the procedure. I am sure that this procedure will center the shoes in the drum. After the Major Brake adjustment, the wheel(s) still lock up but not as bad and there is a lot less pull. My Zephyr stops fine with no pull or lock up.
Does anyone out there have any ideas what I could do to correct this situation? Thanks for any ideas.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Zephyr Brakes

Brakes usually lock up from shoes being contaminated with grease or oil. Any signs ...?
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
rich b

Did you pull a drum(s) and check the physical condition of the brakes. Lining contamination, spring failure, leaking or frozen wheel cylinder pistons, etc.

I usually start looking on side opposite of the way pulls; but it can go either way.

Really shouldn't adjust the anchor pin, other then at the installation of new shoes.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I agree on the anchor centering adjustment. I usually have someone hold the brake pedal when I loosen the anchor nut then let it center and tighten it back up before releasing pressure on the pedal. Once the shoes are centered, they wear in that way and should remain centered throughout their life span.

A person can install auto adjusters on the Bendix types if they can get the ones for 12-inch drums. Any wheel bearing grease or brake fluid on the linings will definitely give problems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
V12Bill

I did pull one drum and say nothing out of the usual. None of the other drums showed signs of leaking oil coming out of them.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote