Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
L78CHEVELLE

Default 40 engine temperature drop by 20 degrees

I have a 1940 85 hp engine, all stock, with a 160 degree thermostat that runs 180 to 200 in summer driving. Took the intake off to adjust the valves and noticed the paint on the intake was cracked in the area the exhaust gases enter the intake manifold. I decided to have the exhaust openings in the intake closed up to keep the hot gases out of the intake and away from the carburetor. Now the engine runs 160 to 170 even on a 92 degree day. After about a one hour drive, running at 160 degrees, I turned the engine off for about 20 minutes to get something to drink. Came back and started the car. Temperature was 190 at start up, but cooled down to 170 within one mile of open road driving. The temperature did not go above 180 at any time during the rest of the day, while driving in stop and go traffic. The engine, in the past, would run 180 to 200 on a 92 degree day. I mostly drive this car during the summer and it is stored in a warm garage. Winter time starts are not much different from summer time starts. The engine, at operating temperature, starts much better now, than it did before I closed off the intake exhaust openings. This intake modification was an improvement for me on this particular engine.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote