Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #41
wisbangman

Default Re: Ancient History

In the 60,s and 70,s people used to say "They sure don't make um like the use to " - and they were right ! the cars of that era were pretty bad ! If your engine had 50,000 miles, it probably smoked, you were probably changing and or cleaning your spark plugs a couple times a month because the engine missed. In the winter months in Milwaukee, if the temp dropped below zero, Service Station Trucks roamed the streets, looking for open hoods that meant your car wouldn't start, and they could make a quick $25 bucks for a jump. There were always a bunch of cars at the local Filling Station that had been towed in, that would not start. Now people say " They sure don't make um like the use to " And again, they are right ! Now there are few Filling Stations. Everyone seems to know people with 100,000 miles plus, on their cars. My wife drives the low mileage 13 year old 210,000 car. My everyday car is 25 years old pushing 300,000 miles the engine runs like a top, yeah I make sure the oil is changed, tires are good, and fix things that need attention, but I don't miss the fight, winter was, for drivers in the 60,s 70,s and 80,. - I think the cars of today are SO much better!
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #42
fordor41

I had a '60 ford wagon that originally had a 6 in it. after a couple engine changes I had trouble starting it ,even with a block heater. discovered when I changed to a larger engine I neglected to upgrade the battery size. once I did that all OK.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #43
tiger.1000

As a teenager in the 1960's I had a part time job delivering building blocks. The company I worked for had fleet of ex-army Bedford lorries. In order to get them to start on a cold morning we had to light a fire under the sump! This would loosen the oil in the sump and allow the engine to spin over. Followed by a good squirt of Easy Start we were usually away ! Remarkable the fire engine NEVER attended.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #44
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbangman View Post
In the 60,s and 70,s people used to say "They sure don't make um like the use to " - and they were right ! the cars of that era were pretty bad ! If your engine had 50,000 miles, it probably smoked

Everyone seems to know people with 100,000 miles plus, on their cars. My wife drives the low mileage 13 year old 210,000 car. My everyday car is 25 years old pushing 300,000 miles the engine runs like a top
Mostly due to better oils from new. Hard cylinder bores becoming common helped too.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #45
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsyouruncle View Post
Back when Harry was dealing with Joe, and Doug had a whole bunch of guys in foxholes, my dad showed me how to start a flathead in winter in Chicago.

I am somewhat amused by the problems the newbies are having.

But

The fuel is different, and no where near as volatile. The engines are ancient. The easily replaceable parts are marginal. And the newbies are used to the wonderful modern replacements for those old cantankerous old boat-anchors.

Would I go back to carburetors and points and distributors for day to day transportation? No way.

Can't remember the last time in a quarter century that I had a problem starting my car. Even the Chrysler Sebring ragtop (sorry, Lee, I bought a Mustang in April, 1965. Other than the Deuce, my favorite car.)
Winter gasoline today is just as volatile as it used to be. It has to be for cold weather so gasoline can vaporize in carburetors/fuel injection. Winter vapor pressure is around 15 psi.

In summer the volatility has been reduced from around 10 vapor pressure to 6 vapor pressure.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #46
Crankster

Gasoline seems different today. When I was kid it had a not unpleasant odor and was kind of reddish colored as I recall. Now it looks like Mt. Dew and eats fuel parts. Fuel injection having replaced carburetors the vapor pressure (Reid index) isn't favorable for vintage iron. Older textbooks listed the BTU of a gallon a fair bit higher than they do today.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #47
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
Mostly due to better oils from new. Hard cylinder bores becoming common helped too.
Another major improvement in new cars is electronic fuel injection. No more choke to wash down the cylinder walls with gas and dilute the oil. Fuel injectors spray a fine mist instead of the large drops you got with the choke on.
Plus ball bearings instead of bushings in the starter (at least on imports). How often do we change starters today? It used to be every corner gas station had a stock of rebuilt starters (and generators, carburetors, brake shoes, wheel cylinder kits, etc., etc.).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #48
Bubsyouruncle

All of you

As Mr. Hope said, "Thanks for the memories"

Although there were a few new ones.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #49
finn1

I remember my dad heating water in a teakettle and pouring the hot water on the cylinder head of the family’s 53 Customline four door with a a flathead.

That would have probably been in about 55 or 56, when I was four or five years old.
finn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #50
dumb person

Putting a small gas stove under my car still won't help it start. Use up a whole tin of butane and the oil was still so thick i couldn't crank it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote