Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
ora masters

Default mitchell over drive

has any one in ford barn installed one of these if so how do you like it snyder has a 4 month waiting time to order one so they must be very poplar thanks ora
ora masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
160B

Default Re: mitchell over drive

I have one in my 160B and one in my 1931 68B, love them!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
ora masters

did you install most of my driveing is 50 miles round trip i do not take any long tours would it still be worth while
Old 10-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Fred K-OR

Do you go up and down hills on your trip? If so, it is a good thing to have. Or if you want to save your engine, I understand they help in that area also.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
frank55a

For about the last 15 years I have been told by many people I needed to install a Mitchell. Considering the mileage I put on the "A" every year and planned to do more driving I finally installed one in 2012 in my 29 Tudor, I absolutely love it. Since installing it I have driven the 29 about 13,000 miles. My only regret is that I did not listen and install it 15 years ago.

To answer your question above. If that is all the driving you do and no long trips you probably do not get up to speed to even use the Mitchell. If that is all you intend to drive - save your money it is NOT for you.

Why don't you drive more? Driving is where the real fun/pleasure is in this hobby. We returned last week fron the MARC National Tour in Cary, NC logged about 1600 miles in 6 days, great time saw some beautiful countryside and met many people along the way. I do not drive the interstates - generally the back roads.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Tom Endy

We have installed a bunch here in Southern California. They are very well made and the Mitchell people are a pleasure to do business with. I would order direct from them. It would be drop shipped from their location regardless of whoever you order it from.

Three months lead time is pretty standard with them. Give Sue Mitchell a call at 540-458-4500. They are located in Colusa, CA.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Would a stock Model A pull the O/D OK in high? Or would the Mitchell trans be a better choice if you just drive around town with an occasional jaunt farther.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
daveymc29

Sounds to me you don't need one. Fifty mile trips once in a blue moon would hardly justify the outlay in cash. Time to install is about a day if you don't have help, If you do it can take longer, but a few of us have put several in our club members cars and from the time we show up until they are out test driving is usually four working hours, or less. If the reason you are not driving more is because you dread going up hills, maybe the OD is for you. I think you will find your a is much more driver friendly with the OD. It gives you six speeds formats to choose from and though most don't use it to gain top speed increases, the majority are finding more comfort as the engine is not revving so high. I found a slight difference in mileage, but no one buys a Model A for the mileage numbers.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
quickchange

I run two of them & just ordered another 4 , you will never regret having one & it adds too the value of your vehicle.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
ora masters

thanks every one to answer some questions i drive one of my cars every day if weather is not too bad any hills i drive on i can gain speed up hill and 35 to 40 is the way we drive on out of the way back roads my driveing buddy just completed a 31 pick up it took first place today at a local show beat my 30 huckster he is the one that is getting the mitchell by the way i am 86 and still goeing strong i have ben blessed with good health thanks ora
Old 10-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
Barry B./ Ma.

Ora, I have one in the 29 coupe and love it. It makes driving it a pleasure, great encountering long hills when you can shift from high into low range thus keeping the rpms up. Mine also has a Snyders 5.5 head and takes most hills with ease. The overdrive has syncros in it so shifting in and out of hi/low range is easy, no need to double clutch. Gas mileage is much improved also with a 3-4 mpg improvement. Well worth the expense in my opinion.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
JohnLaVoy

We have one in our sedan and love it. Several years ago we wrote an article comparing the various overdrives. The Mitchell, while being the only all new unit, also was the only one that was all mechanical. This means no concern about voltage, wiring or any other electrical problems and failures. They are pretty straight forward to install.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Dick So. Cal.

Get one! They are great.
With the help of Tom Endy, my club did a seminar on the installation. Took about 5 hours and drove it home.
Since then, I have added the Mitchell tranny with the higher first and second gears to the mix. It is a dream to drive.

The car is absolutely stock and it does very well in the hills as well as on the open road.

Dick Wyckoff
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

If a person only puts in a Mitchell overdrive, is it still effective even without all the other increase power equipment (heads, etc.) that a person can use?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
TerryH

Yes, you do not have to add other improvements. A well- running, stock Model A will work with the Mitchell just fine. As others have said, the HC heads will give you a little better pulling power on grades, slightly better acceleration. The big difference with the OD is you can cruise at a faster speed if you want, or you can cruise at lower speeds without the noise and other issues a lot of Model A's have. It only takes one 5 minute in one to be impressed!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
hardtimes

Hey Dick,
'Stock engine'...good tribute as to benefits of adding Mitchell !
Does your club have KRWilson tool for pulling pinion or what do you use for this particular task ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
...Does your club have KRWilson tool for pulling pinion or what do you use for this particular task ?
I purchased and used the pinion puller that Mitchell has. Cost was $85, and has been used by a couple other members of our club. Well worth the cost.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
29er

Another benefit is that the Mitchell is actually a gear-splitter, so it makes driving through town easier when normal 3rd gear would be too fast and normal 2nd would be too slow. With the Mitchell, one can put the tranny in 2nd high and attain a speed that keeps pace with traffic.

We found the Mitchell family a delight. I took a road trip to Colusa with my buddy last fall to pick up a unit for his Vicky, and Steve Mitchell spent a couple of hours with us showing us his shop. I learned lots!

The installation is straight forward and gave us the opportunity to replace a few other components (u-joint, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, etc) at the same time.

Mike
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #19
Dick So. Cal.

HardTimes

Tom Endy had all the proper tooling to pull the pinion. His garage is equipped with all the items necessary for the changeover.

One interesting issue is getting the completed assembly back in the car. With the OD installed in the drivetrain, it is much heavier and requires some extra help to get everything lined up. I still highly recommend the installation.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #20
Rex_A_Lott

If you're interested in looking, there is one over on the HAMB for sale.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...#post-10643361

Its not mine, I dont know the guy, I just ran across it while searching for other parts, and remembered this thread. Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #21
apbright

I have a slightly stronger opinion. Here in the Bay Area, Freeway driving and hill climbing are part of daily life, if you're going anywhere other than to the corner store. Before I had the Mitchell OD (standard 26%), that meant much engine lugging or uncomfortable/disconcerting over-revving. Adding the Mitchell OD transformed my Model A from a curiosity to downright usable transportation. (Though I do try to remember someone's quote that, in a Model A, 'Drive no faster than your angels can fly')
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #22
mrphil

I installed one in my 29 Tudor. I love it, but if I do it again, I would choose the 20% reduction rather than the 30% reduction.
mrphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphil View Post
I installed one in my 29 Tudor. I love it, but if I do it again, I would choose the 20% reduction rather than the 30% reduction.
Do you have the 5.5 head? That helps a lot. Also you need a good cam.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
Synchro909

Tom is right about a high compression head. I have a Mitchell in 3 cars. One with a stock engine - OK but not getting the full benefit of the O/D. The next has 5.5 head and downdraft carby - much better. The third has 5.5 head, downdraft carby and a touring cam - really excellent.
A note here for anybody new to these O/D's. When starting cold (say, first thing in the morning) do at least 2 miles before you try to engage the O/D. The oil needs time to warm a little or the synchro will lock you out of gear. (I use the oil recommended by Mitchell) A minor thing but worth remembering if you are to get the max enjoyment out of it.
I wouldn't be without one now that I have experienced them.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Does Mitchell have a website. Can't seem to find one...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #26
tbirdtbird
BANNED

no they do not
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
Mike Peters

How about rear end ratios with a Mitchell? Should we go with the standard 3.78:1 or should we drop back to a 4.11:1?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
Tom Endy

The Mitchell overdrive is 26%, pretty well suited for a 378:1 ring & pinion ratio. The Borg Warner overdrives were 33% and it was too high for a 378. This is where the 411:1 ring & pinion was better suited.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
Mike Peters

Thanks Tom. I've got an old Borg Warner in our 28 Tudor and I wish I had went with a 4:11 rear end. I once installed a 3.25:1 ring and pinion in a 35 Ford. Big mistake. Pulled too hard. Then I found a set of 3.78 gears for the 35, installed them and have been happy ever since. The car came originally with 4.11's and it was too slow. I may eventually buy a Mitchell for the 28. The Borg set up is not very user friendly, although it's worlds better then nothing at all.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote