Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Tony Bullard

Default English Ford Model Y

Here's an English Ford Y I'm working on for a customer. It's also called Ford 8 which I thought meant the 85hp V8 but no it's a 23hp 4 cylinder about half the size of the Model A.

Here's some more pictures:

http://s672.photobucket.com/user/abu...935%20Ford%20Y
Some specs.:

mm
inches

Wheelbase

Track/tread (front)

Track/tread (rear)

Length

Width

Kerb weight
700 kg
1543 lb

Engine manufacturer
Ford
Engine code

Cylinders
Straight 4
Capacity
0.9 litre
933 cc
(56.935 cu in)
56.6 × 92.5 mm
2.23 × 3.64 in
Bore/stroke ratio
side valve (SV)
2 valves per cylinder
8 valves in total
maximum power output
22.3 PS (22 bhp) (16.4 kW)
at 4000 rpm
Specific output
23.6 bhp/litre
0.39 bhp/cu in

Sorry the specs didn't post correctly.

Tony
Tony Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: English Ford Model Y

WOW , she,s a wee beauty mate !!!
I have 1 of these also , but not as nice or complete. I bought mine over from New Zealand as a container stuffer with my 36 in avatar.
Cheers
Tony (also)
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
scooder

My wife has one aswell. Will get on it sometime soon.
The 8 bit, this means 8hp, nothing to do with the actual power, just a number arrived at using a formula Of number or cylinders and bore size. Using this formula, a 221 V8 was 30 hp, Model A 4 cylinder was 24hp. Their was a small bore version in th UK, that was 14.9 hp. This nonsense was all to do with tax.
All that aside, the Model Y is a very pretty little car.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Tony Bullard

Thanks Martin.
I know they also call it a Ford 8 which means 8 tax horsepower and really nothing to do with real hp.
RAC means Royal Automobile Club

The RAC (British) formula for calculating tax horsepower:

D= cylinder diameter
n = number of cylinders

So (2.23" bore x 2.23 x 4) / 2.5 = 7.956 hp. How come they did that? The more hp you had the more it cost to register the car.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Mart

The horsepower tax stunted car development in the UK. Because the stroke wasn't taken into consideration, it led to UK engine development heading down the small bore/long stroke route.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
corvette8n

I think a V8-60 would look great under the hood.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
In my opinion, if you look at a Model Y and don't think about sliding a V8 60 there be something wrong with you!
This may happen to Blues (wife) Y, I haven't ruled it out. I don't have a 60 here, but do have an ongoing option on one. But the gearbox (transmission) is the hurdle financially. It would have a narrowed Model A axle (got) if it happened. The problem with early Ford gearboxes is, in the last few years become made out of solid gold pricewise, in the uk.
Martin.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Lawrie

As for the Y parts,Try Horipito wreckers in NZ,they have tons of old ford parts,and as I know from looking for a driveshaft for my 33 that there is a lot of early ford 8 and 10 stuff there.
lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Fe26

Is this the original 'Crash Palace'?
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Yes.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
KiWinUS

Mine will probably get a very trick v8/60 !
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
feelsharp

For a tranny use a T5 available a reasonable cost and offers 5 speed with 5th OD. Bell adaptors are available for T5 to V8 60 engines.
feelsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
whizzernick

Very nice
this car is also called the 8 hp Ford. This 8 hp figure is British horsepower not American. The Britts figure horsepower a different method than we here in the USA. I have several model Y. I have a completely original 1932 two-door sedan. I have a roadster the 11th one made in production. This car came from Australia. I purchased it at the Turlock swap meet in the 70s. The car in your picture I call a 33 or 34. My cars I call 32's as they have unskirted fenders, 32 style bumpers. I purchased a basket case 32 two-door sedan as a parts car for my roadster. The car was so nice I decided to restore it. The roadster needed a lot of sheet-metal repair which has been completed. Lots of work still needed here. My other quests on these cars is to convert them to left hand steering. These cars were made in Dagahime England. They were made not only for England use but for euorpe too. Sweden at the time had left-hand drive model wise. I was able to purchase steering and clutch and brake pedal to make the conversion. I have yet to start on this project as I am trying to finish my 1933 Victoria. I do have a 1932 model Y two-door sedan for sale. This car runs and drives. It has all interior original. It also has the original top. The car has been painted poor job. Called the call me if there is any interest out there. Nick cassaro 510-889-1933
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
Actually it was ''Smash Palace'' in the film ; great scene when the train is coming at the Model A roadster, only to miss it being parked on another line.

Hard to tell the year of Model Y's other than the early bumpers & radiator height etc.
They were made up to 1937, so are not all ''33 '34's & the last ones were renamed Ford Popular as a new restyled Ford 8 was released.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
Graeme / New Zealand

And the model C that came after it looked like a "baby" 35 v8

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modelcfront.jpg (39.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpeg modelcass.jpeg (14.3 KB, 55 views)

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 AM   #16
Henry Hopper

That's a fantastic picture in opening post, it looks right at home there.

As for swapping over from rhd to lhd, maybe the parts from an Anglia would fit....they are similar size vehicles and I guess the gasser boys toss that stuff when they build a racer.The Anglias/ Populars, were virtually unchanged from the thirties to the fifties.

Nick, Sweden used to be RHD back in those days....the y was built in France ,Germany and Spain as well as Dagenham.....you LHD parts are probably from one of those Id say.Id love to see pictures of your roadster version as Ive never heard of one off those before.There was a sedan converted into a Pheaton over here a few years ago that looked quite good.

Here is a place that has spares for the little Fords.

http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk

Last edited by Henry Hopper; 02-17-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 AM   #17
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Designed by Bob Gregorie for 1932 production in Britain and Europe, Australia, NZ etc..
They then scaled it up to become the 33/34 USA V8's.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #18
scooder

Not British horse power, it's a tax thing. British horse power is the same as any other horse power around the globe. Torque X RPM / 5252.
I can't see the dash. But if it's a one piece pressing it is after April 35 , ealyer long rads had an insert with the gauges in (like a 33-34 V8, Im led to believe it actually fits in the 33-34 V8 dash). There's lots of changes in production that can normally track the date quite close.
Martin.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
Tony Bullard

Here's some model identification: http://www.fordyandcmodelregister.co...ification.html

And some history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_Y
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
In my opinion, if you look at a Model Y and don't think about sliding a V8 60 there be something wrong with you!
This may happen to Blues (wife) Y, I haven't ruled it out. I don't have a 60 here, but do have an ongoing option on one. But the gearbox (transmission) is the hurdle financially. It would have a narrowed Model A axle (got) if it happened. The problem with early Ford gearboxes is, in the last few years become made out of solid gold pricewise, in the uk.
Martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsharp View Post
For a tranny use a T5 available a reasonable cost and offers 5 speed with 5th OD. Bell adaptors are available for T5 to V8 60 engines.
The challenge with the V8-60 is steering. The current location of the steering column as it exists the firewall is smack dab in the head of the V860. It's not an insurmountable job and if you were converting to LHD, it would have to be fiddled with anyway. This may be one application where those offset chain re-drives might work well.

I've done a great deal of "tape measure engineering" on this conversion as I've owned two of these great little cars - I brought the second one home with me. It is a '37, runs and drives and is one of my long-term projects.

There is a good thread on the HAMB that isn't currently active, but a search should turn it up easily enough. Lots of info.

My plans for the V860 were to use an 103-type front axle that puts the axle behind the spring and move the front crossmember forward about 3-4". There is room in the radiator shell to move the radiator forward nearly the same amount (whether or not you can cool a 60 with that small radiator remains to be seen).

The firewall & footwell will require some surgery and installing the T5 will require frame rework. The only wrinkle here? The body is rivited to the frame and while it can be relatively easily unrivited and then bolted on later, it is yet another small niggly bit that must be sorted.

For me, the real challenge was the front and rear axles. The front axle was a straightforward solution in my eyes. I was going to have a custom width tube axle fabricated that took early Ford kingpins and most likely use F1/F100 front brakes.

Out back was another story entirely. The Y is so petit and tiny that there really isn't an acceptable swap that goes in without looking complete out of place. And getting the early bolt ford 5x5.5 bolt pattern onto anything that might fit (small import) is near impossible. I was originally looking at modifying later popular open drive stuff - mixing and matching 103/105 and other bits. But I never did figure it completely out.

There was one interesting option. If you could use two short-side E83W axle housings and axles, you could machine the internals to take Model-A guts (in theory - I never actually did it - but it measured out about right) and center banjo section. You would end up with an axle that was quite short and took the early British Ford ends (or whatever ends you wanted to make work). E83W are scarce enough as it is and while I didn't search super hard for these axle housings, I did always sort of have my eye open for them while living in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bullard View Post
There's also a good book on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Model-Hen.../dp/1901295885

I will eventually put a V8-60 into my Y, but it's a long term project on the back burner.

Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0187.JPG (168.9 KB, 64 views)

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote