Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
duffer

Default headlight question

#1 - When i go out for a ride and stop in someplace , i notice my headlights are on . i'm guessing the switch moves when i turn corners Is there anyway to tighten that up?

#2- My headlights are so dim when driving , i have to get out and see if they are actually on . Is that normal with these old cars? ( i have a alternator )

thanks
bob

Last edited by duffer; 08-30-2012 at 04:00 PM.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
jkeesey

Default Re: headlight question

The headlights turning on usually means the horn rod that runs inside your steering column and controls your headlights has been bent. The headlights being dim could be a number of things, bad ground, unpolished headlight reflectors and so on and so forth.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Patrick L.

I can't tell what lights you have and you didn't mention where the headlite switch was being moved to.. I'm wondering if you're seeing the parking lites.. The off position should be 6:00, park 7:00, headlites 5:00 and 4:00 [depending on what lites you have].. It appears you have a bent rod or tight bushing causing the switch to turn..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
duffer

Here is a picture of my headlight. I was seeing my parking lights. i cant seem to get the headlight portion of the lights to come on , all the way to the left is off. i dont really feel any notches in the switch on the steering wheel. it just sorta moves freely. when turning, the switch moves with the wheel and stayes however far you turned. thanks again

bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 headlight.jpg (22.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
jkeesey

If I'm not mistaken those are the new fancy shmancy bulb upgrades that are supposed to be brighter. It sounds like you've got a problem in your headlight switch at the bottom of the steering column.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
c125bob

I agree, I just went through all this with my 31. The switch at the bottom of the steering column is probably the problem. Pull it off and make sure the 2 prongs on the horn rod are lined up properly with the disk at the switch. The bail could be loose and things got out of whack. It's all keyed so it will only go together one way. Just take your time and line everything back up before hooking the bail back on the bottom.
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
jkeesey

I fixed a roadster a few months ago that the contacts inside the switch had corroded and would not let the lights function.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
duffer

thanks everyone...i'm going to take the light switch apart at the end of steering column. and have a look.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
AKsportcoupe

There is a little brass bushing under the steering wheel that may be tight or worn out. It allows your steering to rotate without turning the light switch.
AKsportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Kurt in NJ

that light should be bright, perhaps not lighting very far due to focus (bulb position, reflector shape), how easy can you move the alternator fan, does the pulley slip easy on the belt?

What voltage do you have at the battery when the engine is running---then check the voltage at the headlight socket, if the light voltage is more than 0.5 volt less than battery voltage you have connection/wiring problems---which also means grounds ---at least 6.5 volts, but not much over 7

i have original reflectors with less than perfect silvering, 35 watt 6v direct fit (original sockets and wiring) bulbs from http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/page2.html I bought them at Hershey, good focus, lights the road good, lights up reflectors for .3-.4 miles--about 8 electric poles (easy to count when they have reflectors) ---even at idle when the generator is not charging

the brass bushing, and a straight switch rod are important
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.JPG (122.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.JPG (114.3 KB, 9 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote