Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
tennsmith

Default Rear Cast Iron Brake drums too big for Wheel

I've just purchased a set of cast iron drums for my A. They came from Bratton's. Got the old hubs put into the new drums, studs swedged, drums trued to the hub, and began reassembly. All went well until I tried to mount the rear wheels. They absolutely will NOT go over the emergency brake diameter area of the drum!! The drum measures roughly 10.145" in the emergency brake area and this is about the same as the inner diameter of my wheel, BUT the wheel tapers and gets smaller from back to front and so it will not go but maybe 1/16" of an inch onto the drum before the wheel diameter becomes too small to allow further movement. I can't even get a lug nut engaged at this point. I've tried 2 of my wheels, both do the same thing. As far as I know, the wheels are the ones that came on the car...it's a 30 coupe. Anyone else had this problem? Does Bratton's have a problem with their vendor? Do I have some oddball wheels? H E L P !! Would it be possible to turn down the drums in that area? Would there be enough metal left for a decent emergency brake. Am I the ONLY person to have this problem?
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Rear Cast Iron Brake drums too big for Wheel

Have you called Bratton's about the problem? Let us know what they say. If you are not sure the wheels are right how about a picture?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
160B

Inspect the wheel and look for a weld repair that has not been ground down.

I had a similar occurrence when I had a flat and when putting on the spare it would not fit on the drum.

When I looked close the wheel had crack that had been weld repaired and they did not grind down the weld.

I did not take any measurements but I think that the new cast Iron drums have an OD is larger than the steel drum OD

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
larrys40

post some photos... I've used all the cast iron drums before from Brattons, snyders, Randy Gross and have mounted many and not had a problem. I would make sure your drums/hubs are properly mounted ( surprising but I've seen some not done properly) and just taking the hub/drum and setting it inside the wheel it should fit. The wheel actually should contact in 3 different areas, inside of wheel at hub area, outside hub of wheel at drum, and lug nuts if all properly seating.

check it out closely. put grease if you need to inside the wheel at points and see where it's hitting. Look for witness marks.
post photos and reply back please.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

The drums won't go over the shoes or the wheel won't go onto the car??

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
denniskliesen

What size wheels do you have?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Slowplane

16" Kelseys won't fit over a cast drum w/o modification.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
larrys40

I thought they were stock 19" ? what are they?
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Bill G

Maybe at this point a photo would help. What size are on the sidewalls of the tires?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
KR500

If you still retain an old drum, try it in the wheel. Bratton's may have sent you an AR drum by mistake?
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #11
tennsmith

Some questions answered...my rims have not been damaged/repaired/welded. I tried 3 out of the 4, all with the same result. They are, as far as I know, 19" stock steel spoked rims with a tire size: 4.75/5.00-19.

The cast iron drums were mounted to my hubs by a reputable A Model shop in Maysville, GA, I watched the entire process. A cutter was used to removed the swedged area of the old studs, the face of the hub was turned true, the new drums were mounted, and the studs fitted and swedged into place. The drums were then turned true to the hub. It is late tonight, but I will provide some pictures tomorrow. The outer surface of the cast iron drum measures 10.145" where the wheel mounts and the inside diameter of the wheel is about 10.2" at the rear with a gradual taper to about 9.88" at the backside of the hub face where the studs are located. The two front wheels fit perfect, the bolt circle dia is right, etc. It is the rear drums that are not working. Someone mentioned an AR drum....what is that? Unfortunately, I do not have either the boxes the new drums came in, or the old drums...all of that was left with the shop that did the work.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Is it hanging up on the brake shoes? The brake linings come in two thicknesses one for new drums and one for well worn.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:48 AM   #13
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Is it hanging up on the brake shoes? The brake linings come in two thicknesses one for new drums and one for well worn.
I believe his drums fit ok on the brake assemblies. It's when he goes to put the wheel and tire back on the drum. At that stage, the wheel won't go all the way on because the inside diameter of the wheel is slightly smaller than the outer dimension of the drum that the wheel covers.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbox51 View Post
I believe his drums fit ok on the brake assemblies. It's when he goes to put the wheel and tire back on the drum. At that stage, the wheel won't go all the way on because the inside diameter of the wheel is slightly smaller than the outer dimension of the drum that the wheel covers.
Thanks for the clarification I read it several times but after reading what you wrote I see what he is saying now.

So the answer is, call Brattons.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
daveymc29

I put cast drums on the rear of my coupe. The wheels would lock to the backing plate. I called Randy Gross and he advised me to try a spacer cone on the axle before I mounted the hub and drum. Problem solved, I would have never thought one cone on each side would move the drum and hub out far enough to clear, but there is now 1/8 inch clearance between the backing plate and the wheel on each side. Call Randy if in doubt, he's a great help.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
tennsmith

ISSUE RESOLVED!!! OK, to satisfy inquiring minds, the problem was acknowledged by Bratton's to be theirs. Apparently, a shipment of drums left the factory without being measured/machined on that surface. They thought they had found them all and pulled them from inventory, but mine slipped through the crack (Murphy has a thing for me) :-)

Bratton's was most helpful and they are making it right by sending me a set of rear drums w/hubs attached, in exchange for the drums I have. Couldn't ask for more and I am a happy camper.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #17
denniskliesen

And I hope they are paying the shipping...
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
And I hope they are paying the shipping...
ALL the shipping, and perhaps refund OP's original shipping for his troubles.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #19
tennsmith

Shipping of the new drums plus return of the bad ones is all on Bratton's. I don't think I could ask for much more...accidents do happen and they stepped up and took responsibility for it. I'll continue to be a customer. :-)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
daveymc29

Brattons has always treated me well with the few problems I encountered over about 25 years of almost exclusively dealing with them. Good products from good folks. Accidents do happen. Worst I had was a bad shock (Tube type) and they immediately sent another and didn't want the old one back. No argument at all.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote