Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Fred K-OR

Default Starter question

I have just finished installing a different engine in my coupe. In doing this, I put in a different starter than before, different starter switch, different battery and also the different engine. But the same thing happens. The engine when first trying to start it when cold, will barely turn over. Lucky is starts easy. So the question is -- Why does this happen in this coupe with two different electric components? The only things that are the same is the positive cable that runs from the positive battery terminal to the cut off switch, the negative cable that runs from the negative battery terminal to the starter switch, the generator and the cut off switch.

Again this problem happens in this coupe with two different engines and different electric items. Could it be:

1. Battery cables not correct for the amps needed for 6 volt system?
2. A ground problem somewhere?
3. Both batteries are bad?
4. The generator does not charge enough?

BTW I have the battery cables and cut off switch wired the same way on my huckster and it works great.

One last question, how does one go about testing a 6 volt battery?

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Herb Concord Ca

Default Re: Starter question

Did you check/clean the ground cable at the chassis connection? If you cleaned this connection and it didn't help, try running this cable to a starter mounting bolt for your ground this may help. Also make sure your positive cable is the correct gauge.
You can bypass your cutoff switch by connecting the 2 cables with a bolt and insulating this connection. to see if this helps.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
ctlikon0712

I would say that it lies somewhere in your answer's 1&2. Make sure you have the right (Larger 6V) cables, and a good frame to battery ground and tie the engine and transsmision to the same point with another wire or cable. Then try it. If your cables are 6V but old, they may be bad as well............
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Art Bjornestad

Harbor Freight sells a resistance battery tester for about 15 bucks that handles 6 and12 volt batteries.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Fred K-OR

Thanks guys. Will have to give some of your ideas a try. But first I have to finish putting a new coat of stain on my home patio deck before the old rainy season hits here in good old Portland.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
columbiA

I had a heavy duty Cat cutoff switch on my coupe & one day it seemed like a dead battery.Turned out the switch had an open circuit in the "on" position.Did away with it & just use a 30 amp breaker at the starter.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
RonC

Also make sure there is no paint on the starter surface that mates with the bell housing. You need a good connection between the two surfaces.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Fred K-OR

Just thought it would be a good idea to post what I seemed to have found wrong with my starter and why it would not turn the engine over. I hooked up a cable from the positive terminal directly to a bolt on the tranny bypassing the cut off switch and cables. Still the same problem. I am embarrased so I hate to admit this, because this is so simple, I put the battery charger on the battery for 2 to 3 hours. Guess what, the bypass cable hook up worked great. I then rehooked up the cut off switch and cables and tried it again. Still worked great.

I think what happened in this situation was both batteries, that I tried to use, had been sitting around the shop for a time. I also, after getting the engine back in, started the engine a number of times to test out things without letting it run for a period of time to charge the battery.

Well like I said, I hate to admit this stupidity, but thought I should follow up to let all of you know, who tried to help me, what the problem was. Thanks again.