Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
callbald

Default 64 Galaxie rear leaf spring

OK, has anyone dealt with replacing the rear leaf springs on a 64 Galaxie. The front hanger 5780 stud assembly is buried inside the 5775 spring hanger. I have done everything but torch it, which I prefer not doing since it could weaken the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 galaxie rear leaf spring.jpg (56.6 KB, 41 views)
callbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
craig

Default Re: 64 Galaxie rear leaf spring

Most likely the bolt is rusted into the spring eye bushing, 5737. You may not have a choice but to snip it apart with a torch. If you are careful you won't damage/weaken the frame
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
miker98038

I had a similar problem with a 55 bird when I broke the main leaf. An old friend who’s a very experienced mechanic told me to heat it red hot and let it cool. Repeat as necessary.

He said the expansion and contraction of the hot bolt or nut eventually broke the rust loose. You didn’t have to melt it out. Last time I used that was a couple years ago on an OT 56, the bolt thru the spindle to the steering arm. Took 5 or six cycles, then it broke loose and came out. We did not reuse the bolt or the nut.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
BW

Can you get in there with a saw-zaw ?
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
fordrodsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW View Post
Can you get in there with a saw-zaw ?
sawing it off will not solve the problem. He will still have rusted bolt shank stuck inside the bushing.
I had the same issue on my '55 bird. I sprayed penetrant on it each day for about a week. I heated the bolt ends with a Mapp gas torch. It was enough heat. I put a wrench on the bolt head (six point is best). Just gave some taps with a hammer in both directions. Did not try to persuade it all at once. An impact wrench and socket would be good also. I applied more penetrant. Went back the next day with some more heat and applied the wrench again. I got it loose on the third day and was able to use a drift pin to drive the bolt out. Then I cleaned out the bushing thoroughly. I even got a slightly smaller drill and ran it through a few times. I got it so the new bolt would slide in without binding and then coated with anti-seize when I reassembled.
fordrodsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
BW

I may not be seeing something. But if you can saw it off on each side at the bushing who cares about the bolt in the bushing and that's what I ment when I said can you get in there with a saw zaw.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
bobss396

I did my '59, the nut came off and I used a drift to drive the bolt out. If the bolt is stuck you could try an impact hammer with a flat punch on it.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote