Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Blastfromthepast

Default Hershey experience

Just got back from Hershey. Had I great time. Lots of parts and memorabilia. Not much for 36.There’s was nothing that was being given away. You had to pay top dollar but if you needed it you payed for it. Car show coral was filling up for Friday. Great cars. Again asking top dollar no bargains. Golf carts riding all over the place. I’m lucky I didn’t get run over. It was a great experience but I stay home next year.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #2
Ziggster

Default Re: Hershey experience

First time for me. So I'll give a bit of a summary of my experience. Drove down Tuesday from Ottawa, Canada (500 miles), and attended Wednesday starting at 7:00 until 4:00, and Thursday from about 7:30 until noon. I was kinda surprised at how difficult it was to get a general idea on the interweeb about what to do etc. Stuff like parking, food, facilities etc. I initially drove into the event looking for parking as I did not see any signage for parking across the event in the fields. The night before I read something about bringing boots because of the fields. Wednesday morning some old timers at McDonald's set me straight and said the swap meet was all on asphalt. I read something about getting there earlier, but when I arrived at 7:00 it was still somewhat dark, and most vendors still were not out. Showing up around 8:00 would have been better I think. I did bring a Craftsman 2-wheeled cart because of something I read, and I'm glad I did. I wore layered clothing which again I read, and it turned out to be a great suggestion as it started out cool and got progressively warmer. As it did, I just threw my extra clothes in the cart. The cart also made a handy place to sit and rest as there really aren't any seating areas. Of course, the cart made hauling anything you picked up easy. It was rather large and being so and helped ckear the way in front as people generally made way when seeing someone with their wagon or cart.
After the first day, I thought I had pretty much seen everything, with only the area to the front and left of the stadium being left. Boy, that was a mistake, that area was huge and with way more vendors than what was in the Orange area. The problem was that I needed to head back on Thursday at a reasonable time, but also after spending 8 hrs walking the day before, I was pretty much done. I would say you definitely need two full days, and likely a third if you want to take your time, or can't walk much.
There were a few specific things I was looking for, and did not find, but it didn't really surprise me as I'm looking for mostly prewar type stuff. I did pick up somethings, but I found prices high for the most part. For instance, I was looking for a large size headlight, of which there were plenty, with plenty being hundreds of dollars. In my first attempt to purchase one, a seller had it marked $25, and I offered $20. He said he wouldn't budge, and would rather wait. I was surprised, as I thought it would be common practice to haggle a bit. Later, I ended up finding one for $15. I was also looking for flathead related stuff, especially aftermarket intakes and heads. I found most of the stuff high priced for what it was. For example, I saw a set of used EdeL brock heads selling for $500. They were still covered in combustion soot and grease, and were not in the best shape cosmetically. What really surprises me is that these vendors put so much time, money, and effort to haul their stuff to these types events, only to haul 90% of it back home time and time again. Even vendors who are supposedly motivated, like widows of collectors, enthusiasts, etc, had high prices on stuff. It really is a bit bizarre if you ask me, but then I thought about it a bit. It really is not about making money, it is about getting together with people that share your interest about all things automotive. I'm glad I went, and plan on going again next year.

Last edited by Ziggster; 10-11-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
richard crow

there wed thur. still the best place to find parts. my complent is a lot of people have spots but don,t show up or just use them for parking. so a lot of walking past empty spots wasting time & shoes. thur the car coral was packed there were a few 3 window coups just wish i had the money to buy one. still the greatest show on earth. thank you god for the great weather.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Blastfromthepast

I agree with you Ziggster. It’s like you said,it’s about getting together with people that share your interest about all things automotive. For me it was about the hunt for parts I needed.
People would have their RV,s and socialize. You could tell who was there to sell by just looking at the amount of parts they displayed. There were others with RV,s with parts that were still covered up at 11am. I guess their theory was when I get up I get up. Thats how you do business? There were other times that I did see a part and wanted to ask the price but I had to wait in turn to get the answer because the seller was to busy talking about the cars they have. Definitely like you said people getting together socializing and not about the money.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
mercman from oz

I didn't get there, but was sent this picture of an Australian 1935 Ford Roadster Ute that was on display at Hershey this year.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

Had a great 4days with Gabby and my buddy John vending and buying by in the Orange field. Weather was great and did pretty well between Fall Carlisle and Hershey.

And as orhers have said, it’s the ganging our weekend th from ends, making new ones, and the thrill of the hunt!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I didn't get there, but was sent this picture of an Australian 1935 Ford Roadster Ute that was on display at Hershey this year.
Thanks for posting that full size picture mercman. A frient texted me about that vehicle, but I was not sure of the area he mentioned in his text, so I wound up not seeing that one.
Owning that Ute would cover the two vehicles on my wish list.....a 35 roadster and and a 35 pickup.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
nelsb01

John...
Today, Saturday, it was in the car corral --- only $49 big ones.
I am still here ---
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
cas3

when you see the vendors table all covered up its not because they are still sleeping, they are out shopping. early bird gets the worm, and many times the worm was just bought that morning, then repriced and resold when the booth is open
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
VeryTangled

That Ute was nice but not as special as the owner thought. He said it had been in his museum since he purchased it, not a good sign IMHO. He couldn't resist turning the conversation to politics, that's when I walked away.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

Poor Old Redneck made it back home again. Nice weather for sleeping out in the open. Got my shocks and springs for the 32. Got to see Pat there. Went through the car corral some nice rides there. I fell in love with a 49 Mercury. I think it sold. I took the wife to see it and it was gone. I though she would buy it for me. My loss I guess. She keeps saying to me [You don't need that now behave yourself.]
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
VeryTangled

One good memory for me... I was standing in the car corral on Wednesday, taking in a '32 coupe. I look up and there's one Old Redneck. We chatted for a moment about the modifications on the car. Great to see him again. I never did get by his spot though.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I got there lateish on Wednesday. I drove my Model A avoiding all the major highways. A fun trip, but added to the time on the road.

Great weather. Saw a lot of people, but missed Jeff and John M. I always stay for the car show. It was great, as always, and very crowded, like always. I had mine in the show, but not judged. There were only three early V8s in the judged cars. There were a few in HPOF. That situation needs to be rectified.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #14
SUHRsc

I was on a mission this year to "buy cool stuff". I had nothing on my NEED list... so I just went hunting for anything that caught my eye. I found TONS of really neat parts, paperwork, and various other things. I covered every row at least once, most of it twice. This was probably one of the best years for me at the show. I heard a lot of people talking of high prices, but I was lucky and most were willing to barter with me at least a bit. Starting last Wednesday at Carlisle, I filled up a bay and a half in my garage with parts and various other things.
I'm already counting down till next year!!!

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
That Ute was nice but not as special as the owner thought. He said it had been in his museum since he purchased it, not a good sign IMHO. He couldn't resist turning the conversation to politics, that's when I walked away.
This comment is not meant to be political but observatory. I do not remember ever seeing so many people flying banners and displaying signs for a political candidate. I'm not sure whether it helped or hurt their business. I will say that in some political "climates" I see a ban on our old cars coming so I try to keep us clear of that.
In the meantime check out the smile on my dad's face with this sign I scored. How I justify what I paid for the sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frank miller sign.jpg (158.2 KB, 271 views)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
RKS.PA

I'd say, "worth every penny!", Frank.

It's right up there with your avatar!!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
tubman

Don't ya' just hate it when you have to buy something?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
This comment is not meant to be political but observatory. I do not remember ever seeing so many people flying banners and displaying signs for a political candidate. I'm not sure whether it helped or hurt their business. I will say that in some political "climates" I see a ban on our old cars coming so I try to keep us clear of that.
In the meantime check out the smile on my dad's face with this sign I scored. How I justify what I paid for the sign.
Frank, great sign!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
32phil

Great Hershey this year...……. weather, parts etc.
Prices ?? well ….Prices is …...Prices
Either you pay or you don't ….Some folks haggle.... some don't
At this point in my life I'm only buying what I need to finish my projects.
One sore point for me ( literally !!!!) is the scooters/motorized carts/ golf carts.
They zoom around silently and are a real danger
I was there from Tuesday noon till Saturday morning and saw several people struck.
THEN.... on Friday morning I was struck !!!!
A golf cart hit me from behind. It came up silently and caught my left ankle.
Luckily it hit my sneaker and pushed my whole foot away. Another inch and it would have rolled my ankle and would have crushed my foot.
The cart was driven by two SECURITY GUYS.... !!!
I stopped them to tell them they hit me but one guy was actually asleep (Not the driver)
Some changes must be made to the scooter/cart policy going forward.

Last edited by 32phil; 10-13-2019 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #20
Cecil/WV

I was there Wed. thru Friday, at the Early Ford V8 Foundation site in the chocolate field, across from Dennis Carpenter, helping sell parts and '57 mercury raffle tickets. Prices were reasonable and raffle tickets sold very well. The Mercury was driven to Morgantown, Pa on Saturday and will be on display at the Classic Auto Mall where you can purchase tickets. You can also get them buy phone @ 260 667 3775.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote