Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #21
miker98038

Default Re: brake line distribution blocks

Kind of moving off the OP, but I’ve done quite a number of brake conversions. Unfortunately K is right, a lot of suppliers just throw parts in a box and ship it. They can’t really tell you what they did, and the main concern is will the wheels fit over the new disc and the hood close. This isn’t just on our old Fords, it’s on a lot of vehicles.

I’ve seen several that drive fine, but won’t lock the wheels in a panic stop. I know you shouldn’t, and I don’t like to flat spot tires, but if you can’t reach the limit of tire adhesion you haven’t improved a lot.

So you really need to do your research about what you’re buying.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #22
dmsfrr

I haven't done a disc conversion (yet) and wouldn't buy a semi-nameless *kit in a box* setup either.
Here's a couple links. Both are places that cater to '55 / '57 Thunderbirds but since many of the brake parts are (hopefully) interchangeable with full-sized cars of the same years I'm passing them along just in case...

https://www.classictbird.com/ .....(740) 622-9700

https://hillsresto.com/......(740) 949-2217

They both sell (dual master cylinders) and install their disc brake kits in their own restoration shops, so they know the in's and out's of them. The several times I've called for advice and assistance they have been very helpful, give their Tech Support staff a call.
Ask about self-adjusting retrofit kits for drum brakes also.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-03-2019 at 07:46 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #23
miker98038

I lifted this from another site, but I know the guy who posted it has a lot of experience.

“Consider contacting Prestige Thunderbirds in Santa Fe Springs California. I've seen their kit which includes 4 piston front discs instead of normal 2 piston. They have also perfected the use of our power assist units with a dual master cylinder. They also have a catalog. At a recent Thunderbird show I saw their units on quite a few 55-57 Birds and they had a rep there.

Since I am local I went to their business and talked to the owner and was very impressed. They are definately not a start up business. They also have a website. It's the kit I'm going to use on my full size 56 car because many of them don't use the power assist and suggested I don't at first. Good luck..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.”

Whole thread here.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143785.aspx
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #24
dirtywaterdiver

The manufacturer of the MC says there are internal valves.

However now without them I have developed a new issue. The brake light switch has been intermittently sending power out to the lights. Sometimes VERY bright and others hardly noticeable.

Last night my wife asked me "what's that red light in the garage" and the brake lights were on. If I pump the brakes they sometimes go off, others not.

It seems that fluid pressure is not consistent, even after the lines were bleed. There are no visual leaks and this is not the 1st valve to fail or it's not actually the valve.

Thoughts?

Last edited by dirtywaterdiver; 07-27-2019 at 08:45 PM.
dirtywaterdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
KULTULZ

Post Re: brake line distribution blocks

We need to know everything that has been done (and re-done). A hydraulic switch can be pressurized by residual line pressure, a bad switch or possibly how the master cylinder was installed.

Photos of the NC INSTALL will help immensely.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #26
bobss396

This is what I'm using on my '59 Ford, on the review they mention the bad brake light switches which is accurate. I'm using a Speedway Ford style dual master (disc drum) and the car stops well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-apv-db
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:02 AM   #27
KULTULZ

Post Re: brake line distribution blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywaterdiver View Post

Anyone know if I can get a brake line distribution block with 3 holes for the 3/8-24 brake lines and 1 hole for a 1/8" NPT stoplight switch.

I changed my '59 Edsel from the single res M/C to a later mustang drum/drum one. I split the front and rears and need to run a stop light switch of a block for the fronts.
Simple answer - https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/PK0017ERL

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote