Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Born to be born a leaker

This 32 will never rust for sure. It surely is a leaker. I think I will start with new oil pan gasket. Will use a good sealer with the gasket. I guess that normal with a 32 V-8. Back in 32 hardly anyone had a garage to keep there car in. Maybe a barn or chicken coop. Most cars back then were mouse infested with field mice. That why people had cats I guess. My grandfather like Blacksnakes in the barn. Maybe I should keep one in my 32? I don't think the wife would go for that. They done away with Common law wife. That was the cheap way to go back then. Ever run drip gas, use to burn the valves pretty hot stuff. Most fellows use to mix it so not to hot. I think my Junker needs a good dose of drip gas to make it run a bit better.When My grandfather got his first car a Maxwell he learn to drive it in a big field. He talk and scream at it like he did when using a team of horses. He invented a lot go 4 letter words driving that car. By the end of the second week he wrecked the Maxwell and never drove after that. No one would ride with him for some reason. They say I take after him? If I ever get this 32 on the road you better look out.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Born to be born a leaker

Where does drip gas come from?

My grandpop had a '35 Plymouth 4 door, he'd took the back seat out for trucking purposes. He also ran a '27 Chevrolet jitterbug for a tractor. The rear axle sat just aft of the single seat, and the second transmission.

I got to live with him in the late forties. Cats were plentiful, they'd come and go, mostly come, but never accounted for.

Water was only at the kitchen ( three rooms and a path ). A steel basin tub was employed in the kitchen for Saturday 'bathing'. And then the well ran dry... Real plumbing didn't come 'til '58.

In winter snow would creep past the window frames.

Old Redneck, glad you are active on the barn again.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
flatford8

I've never heard of "drip gas". I have heard of running kerosene and water in a radiator though......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Redneck, what is the rebuild history of the V8 in your '32? My grandfather had a '32 five window coupe, model B. He sold it in the early 1990's. I loved that car. I learned to drive a standard shift in that car. At that time I was only about 12 years old then. If I were older I would have bought it from him. I sure do miss that '32 coupe as well as my grandfather. I first bought and restored the '31 Victoria in my avatar, after that came a '39 pickup, '40 tudor, '47 tudor and a '67 mustang coupe. I always enjoy talking to you at the EFV8 Club national meets. Your '32 looks nice, enjoy it.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
I've never heard of "drip gas". I have heard of running kerosene and water in a radiator though......Mark
Dad used to tell of his Dad putting kerosene in the radiator of his Model A one winter. It rotted the hoses.
As far as mixing kerosene and water, as soon as you shut the engine off, the kerosene would float on top of the water, and the water would then freeze on a cold night (or day).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Ross F-1

Drip gas is petro condensate collected at the wellheads. It's a mix of a lot of different stuff, but is very volatile. it won't do an engine any good, for sure, but people used to steal it.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Dad used to tell of his Dad putting kerosene in the radiator of his Model A one winter. It rotted the hoses.
As far as mixing kerosene and water, as soon as you shut the engine off, the kerosene would float on top of the water, and the water would then freeze on a cold night (or day).
An old guy I used to work with said they used to run it their tractor in the winter. When he said they used kerosene I may have ASS-U-MEd he ment mixing
it with water......Mark
RossF-1, thanks for the explanation of " drip gas"...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Drip gas is petro condensate collected at the wellheads. It's a mix of a lot of different stuff, but is very volatile. it won't do an engine any good, for sure, but people used to steal it.
I believe this is the most accurate explanation of "drip gas".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
harley

Down in the hog sand in south Arkansas we call drip gas "casinghead".