Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
joe plumber

Default 6 volt radio

I have a 6 vlt.radio and I want to see if it works.Don't have any 6 vlt. batteries ,but have a 6 vlt. charger .Ouestion.....Can I hook the positive cable to the hot wire of the radio and the other cable to the ground wire on the radio? Might be a stupid question but I was always told stupid questions are a lot easier to handle than stupid mistakes.The hot wire on the radio has a fuse in it .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
denverslim

Default Re: 6 volt radio

I'm gonna be watching this thread for someone smarter than me to help you. I think though, that your 6 volt charger will work just fine. I'll bet the radio came from something positive ground, but I don't think that would make any difference. If you had a positive ground vehicle and switched it to a negative ground the radio would not know the difference--would it? Or would it play bak-ass-wards?
Like I said I'll be watching...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I have a 6 vlt.radio and I want to see if it works.Don't have any 6 vlt. batteries ,but have a 6 vlt. charger .Ouestion.....Can I hook the positive cable to the hot wire of the radio and the other cable to the ground wire on the radio? Might be a stupid question but I was always told stupid questions are a lot easier to handle than stupid mistakes.The hot wire on the radio has a fuse in it .
You need to determine the polarity the radio was designed for.
Hooking it up backward could be disatarous.
SOME battery chargers will run the radio but you will notice quite a bit of hum in the speaker.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
joe plumber

It came from a positive ground car.I just wanted to see if it would work,not going to install it .Thought someone might need one and I wanted to make sure it was ok.Appreciate the replies.Thanks .
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Battery charger will work fine.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
cannon

if you hook up the battery charger backwards be prepared for the following:
the radio will listen
the lights will cast shadows
and the horn will suck
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
if you hook up the battery charger backwards be prepared for the following:
the radio will listen
the lights will cast shadows
and the horn will suck
Now that's some good advise Cannon.Kind of like going to work early if you have to work late.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
skip
Banned

If I remember correctly I use to be able to use my 6 v VW neg ground radio Blaupunk units on my 6 v positive ground British stuff.

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Al Corbin

I wouldn't advise that. Most inexpensive battery chargers connected to a battery put out a voltage that averages around 12-15 volts, but with no battery connected they can put out much higher spikes and pulses whch could cause some damage.

Can't you just make a temporary (clip lead) connection to your battery?
Al Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
denverslim

"I have a 6 vlt.radio and I want to see if it works.Don't have any 6 vlt. batteries ,but have a 6 vlt. charger "
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
darrenct83

This will depend on your battery charger. A lot of newer chargers will not apply current to the leads until it detects the presence of a battery connected with the proper polarity. Do you have access to a multimeter, or anything to measure voltage? If so turn your charger on and check the voltage at the charger leads. If it is 6-8 volts it should work to power your radio.

Secondly, you have to know which side of your radio is + and -. If it came out of a positive ground vehicle you need to hook the negative wire to the hot lead and positive wire to ground.
darrenct83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
joe plumber

Thanks for all the replies .The radio is shot .I ohmed out alot of parts,etc.Spent about 2.5 hrs on it this morning .The charger did what it was supposed to do ,just alot of parts bad.I'll hang onto it in case someone needs some pieces from it.Thanks again.Have a good one.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
coolcoupe

Very good info
coolcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
FRANK PKNY

Frank: With those old tube radios, It's best to convert them to solid state. Someone may just need the case for a conversion. I had the one done in my 60 Oldsmobile. It looks stock but gets AM & FM and works very well. Frank pkny
Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK PKNY View Post
Frank: With those old tube radios, It's best to convert them to solid state. Someone may just need the case for a conversion. I had the one done in my 60 Oldsmobile. It looks stock but gets AM & FM and works very well. Frank pkny
Frank,I thought about doing that ,sort of.I have got some smaller new radios and was thinking about trying to install one inside the old case.The old cases are big compared to the newer radios.Might give it a try this weekend.Got nothing to loose ,except my time.I think I can do it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
keith oh

Listen to Al Cheney, he knows these old radios.Go to the hardware and buy a cheap 6 folt lantern battery. If your radio is pre 56 Ford it is pos ground so ground the pos bat. terminal to the radio case(chassis) and neg to power lead.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
keith oh

Angry Re: 6 volt radio

The name is Al Corbin not Al Cheney, Sorry Al, names get juggled up in this old mind sometimes.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
zeffer1940

Boy oh boy, no radio guys here??? They need to have some capacitors replaced to work ..if it is clean, and u want to sell it dont screw with it. It is like a barn car with a crankcase fullof muck...do u start it ..or clean out the sump first...?? Radio wont play much with batt charger power..will buzz and distort if anything..and you may hurt it..A radio guy and a couple hours can get it up and running!! No cheap conversions...c'mon guys, like puttin a sbc in a Ford, makes me cringe. You can get device to plug into the antenna, lets you play any other device through stock radio..or listen to am as always..Many Philcos, or Zeniths in our cars...they were good sets with multiple output tubes and 6-8 inch speakers..6 volt positive ground if the vehicle it came out of was..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1To8tZseVM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZENITH%20SIGN%20TOLEDO%20MCGRANAHAN%20S.jpg (72.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by zeffer1940; 05-25-2010 at 10:34 AM.
zeffer1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #19
36 coupe
Banned

I get much fun reading the posts of people who know zero about radios.Have the radio checked and id by some one who knows what they are doing.Good old original radios sell for over 500 bucks
36 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
Mike51Merc

Change the Vibrator and capacitors and any blown tubes. Vibrator is around 35 bucks and the capacitors are cheap, like 2-5 bucks each. Check out www.tubesandmore.com

You can also convert it to 12 volts by swapping the vibrator and the tubes for 12 volt equivalents.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote