Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
farmertom

Default vin search

hey barners, whats the best way to search the vin on my 37 fordor. i'm just curious of its history. thanks tom.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: vin search

Do you understand how the serial numbers were assigned to a vehicle? The engine/transmission assemble had a number assigned to the transmission. When the engines/transmission was installed in a vehicle, the number was then stamped into the frame.

VanPelt's site has some information: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
hey barners, whats the best way to search the vin on my 37 fordor. i'm just curious of its history. thanks tom.
Tom, You are likely to find only an approximate build date for your car, nothing more. The serial number in those days indicated nothing of model, exact build date, assembly plant, color, options, etc.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
blucar

Tom, do you know where the serial number/VIN is located on a '37 Ford.. It is stamped into the frame adjacent to the steering gear box. The number will be a star-180000 if it is a 85 HP V8.. If the transmission is original to the car the number stamped into the upper part of case near the inspection hole will be the same as the number stamped into the left frame rail..
Ford did not use motor numbers and for the most part body numbers, until 1949.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
DavidG

A record exists of when your engine/transmission assembly was built, but not of when it was installed in a vehicle chassis. Depending on which assembly where your car was built and the proximity of the model year Job #1 date to when that occurred, the gap in time between engine/transmission manufacture and vehicle build could range from two weeks to two months.

If your car has any of its original glass, the dates on the trademark will at least give you a big clue as to when it wasn't built as it could have been built in the latest of those months' dates (if more than one date exists on your original glass), but not before. Even then. it is more likely to have been built in the month following the latest date on the glass.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
farmertom

hey barners, i was misunderstood i think. i'm just trying to find out the ownership history and maybe where it was 1st purchased. i do have the vin.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
corvette8n

Quote:
hey barners, i was misunderstood i think. i'm just trying to find out the ownership history and maybe where it was 1st purchased. i do have the vin.
Wouldn’t that depend on what records the DMV has/keeps, N.Y. dmv doesn’t have much, they have not digitized their old records.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Realistically, you might as well give-up on that idea, as NO ENTITY has made the effort to keep those records..........FACT! Just enjoy what ya got! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
DavidG

DD is correct, no state DMV keeps readily-accessible ownership information predating the computer era by 40-50 years, let alone it being accumulated on a national basis.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
DD is correct, no state DMV keeps readily-accessible ownership information predating the computer era by 40-50 years, let alone it being accumulated on a national basis.

One more very important factor comes into play, especially these days. Due to "RIGHT TO PRIVACY" laws today, even IF that info did exist, these jurisdictions will not give-out that sort of info because the law forbids it, and for fear of litigation for doing so. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
Als48

Right, David G. That's what I found when I tried to research my VIN on my 48 Ford in Kentucky. No early records were kept even tho I found a name to look for. Still don't know anything about its early ownership except possibly that name.

Al Hook
Als48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #12
farmertom

thanks barners for the feed back. what i do know about my '37 fordor deluxe is i believe i'm the 3rd owner the older gentleman before me had the car since 1956. tom.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

But, 37 to 56 is a long time to own a car, 19 years. A lot of folks changed cars every couple of years in that period of time, and I would think at least in 10 years. After the 50's it's a bit different because of the the antique factor.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote