Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
jake1955

Default 1955 Country Squire Fordomatic Starter

Hello, looking to replace a bad starter in my '55 Ford with Fordomatic transmission. Will the Ford Y-Block PowerMaster PowerMax Plus Starter sold by Mac's and others work in a Fordomatic? Is there a difference?
jake1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1955 Country Squire Fordomatic Starter

Is the car 6 or 12 volt? Is the starter confirmed to be bad, not some electrical power related problem?
Is there a reason you don't want to rebuild the one you have or get a same model replacement?

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-22-2020 at 02:12 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
jake1955

The car is a 12v. We have tested the battery and it is full. The starter only clicks when engaged. I've read online that the new one is smaller and easier to access again. The old one was extremely difficult to get off the car. But better to rebuild the original?
jake1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
dmsfrr

If it's the original 6 volt starter it should spin the engine very well on 12v.
I've never used one of the PowerMaster starters and they may be fine. If they're made in China having the existing one properly rebuilt may likely outlast it.

There are Six battery & ground cable connections that must all be in very good condition for the starter to turn the engine easily. Both ends of the battery Positive cable, both ends of the battery Negative cable and both ends of the solenoid to starter cable.
If any of these is in poor condition it can easily affect the Starter power circuit.

Assuming the car is now Negative ground... the other end of the battery Negative cable should fasten to a clean bolt surface into the block or head, not the car body.

If the starter were still in the car, you can use a set of jumper cables from the battery to power the starter directly. This eliminates the firewall / fenderwell mounted starter solenoid as a possible cause of a poor connection.

Original style parts generally fit better overall. If a local shop can give you a better or similar price & warranty on the rebuild than the PowerMaster that sounds like a good deal to me. (and no shipping charges)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-22-2020 at 09:29 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #5
miker98038

I've used a lot of factory starters, and they're heavy and often tough to get out. Due to clearance problems, I've got one y block with a gear drive reduced size starter. I'd check the cables as dmsfrr says above, and then have the original looked at and tested by a good shop. Rebuild as necessary. Difficult or not, that's my first choice.

When I had to replace the gear drive I asked over at yblocksforever, and the best recommendation came from guys who'd used them. You call and talk to him, old timer who knows his stuff.

http://www.autoelec.com/html/y_block...n_starter.html
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote