Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
zuburg

Default Parking brake cable on 1956 Ford Thunderbird

I am having some problems replacing the parking brake cable on my 1956 T-bird. I replaced both the front and rear cables. The problem is when I pull the handle to set the brake, the handle doesn't travel as far as I think it should. It feels tight but the rear brakes are not engaged. I don't believe there is any slack in the cables.

I thought maybe something was binding on the inside of the car so took it all apart again to check it out. The replacement cable has a plastic/vinyl? sleeve over the steel braided cable. It appears to me that the thicker cable may be too tight in the groove if the pulley. Should I try to remove the vinyl covering on the cable on the section inside the car so the steel cable moves better in the pulley?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
zuburg

Default Re: Parking brake cable on 1956 Ford Thunderbird

I just got it all sorted out. Did not have to remove the vinyl covering. I took it all apart and checked everything. I originally made a minor mod to extend the threaded shaft at the end of the cable so it would reach the lever connected to the yolk holding the rear cable. I removed that extension and pulled the lever far enough to reach the original shaft. That helped a lot. Still doesn't operate as smoothly as I expected, but at least it works now.
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote