Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
fordson

Post Correct Tack Strip for 33 / 34 Ford

I have trouble finding the correct 1933 / 34 Ford reproduction tack strip.
My roof area has a recessed gutter type rail, the tack stip fits into (pic. 1). The original style tack strip was rather flat, with a profile that would fit in there (pic. 2).

The reproduction tack strip (pic. 3) however has a profile that does not seem to fit into the recess area, but rather lies on top of it . Thus the roof section will be too high.
I found the 32 reproduction tack strips profile to be more correct (pic. 4 and 5), would that be an alternative ?

Last, i found a type tack strip that has the correct profile, but where the rubber seal slides over the the tack strip acting like a cover ( pic. 6 , 7 and 8). I do not know who produces these, since this kind of strip was featured in an article.

Does anybody know what reproduction tack strip has the correct profile / shape for my car ?
and most important where to get it from ?

Thank you for your help,
Randolf

Last edited by fordson; 05-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
rich b

Default Re: Correct Tack Strip for 33 / 34 Ford

The parts you show in pictures 3,4, and 5 are finish strips that go on after the top material. The strip with the cover in final pictures looks similar to the stuff sold by Juliano's. Can't really tell from picture 2 if it is the OEM tack strip or a replacement from the past.

The original tack strip was steel incased (open on top) fibrous material that sat in the channel and was almost level with roof, the top material was tacked down, the final trim as shown installed, and then a rubber strip was pressed into the groove.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Uptown83

I agree you are showing two different products. The aluminum channel in your 2nd one down or top row to the right takes a rubber gasket in the middle. This is used to finish the top going over the tack strip.

On my 35 I used a plastic mold I pour into the channel for the "Tack strip" My intentions were to use nails in it but after messing with it for awhile I went ahead and used small screws which actually went all the way through the metal. There may be better ways of doing this. But you need to put something to fill in the height.
Uptown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Andyr

FYI........if you reference the 33/34 Restores Guide , the tack strip should be painted the body color...... thanks....
Andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
DavidG

fordson,

Your top row of photos has the correct original mouldings for the top insert. The one in the first photo was originally riveted to the channel in the body and was painted as part of the body assembly. A layer of sealer existed between it and the body. It was originally completely filled with tacking material (LeBaron Bonney offer a plastic substitute that will serve as an excellent substitute for tacking. A layer of canvas was tacked to this material; the padding then lays on top of the canvas. The outer roof material is then tacked all around into that tacking strip.

The moulding material shown in the third photo in top row is correct for a '33-'34, not the narrower moulding used on '32s. This moulding goes over the tacked down top material to hide the tacks. It is either tacked in place (as original) or you can use small (#2 or #3) screws to avoid chipping the paint on the outer moulding. A rubber insert then is installed in the top channel to conceal the tacks or screws. (Available from Dennis Carpenter and likely other vendors).

With all due respect to the Club's '33-'34 book, the top inserts were installed in bodies that were already in final paint. From assembly and cost points of view it makes no sense that the outer moulding be anything but black to match the top insert material. I verified that with several Ford archives photos of '33-'34 closed cars with light-colored bodies and in each instance the outer moulding is obviously black.

Be sure and use sealer both before and after installing the outer top insert material and then again under the outer moulding.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
fordcpe

Here is picture of my 34
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7256.jpg (35.4 KB, 65 views)
fordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
fordson

Post Re: Correct Tack Strip for 33 / 34 Ford

Thanks David, once again excellent information !!
Thanks for all the answers and suggestions.

fordcpe: How come your one is black and not aluminum colour ?? Painted black ??

From the answers, i understand that:
1) the channel in the roof is to be filled level with the sealer / plastic substitute from Le Baronneys.
2) Canvas covers the chicken wire and extends to the channel, beeing tacked.
3) Padding on canvas and black outer vinyl cover to be exended to the channel
4) Aluminum molding gets placed and screwed / tacked ontop the sealer filled channel. Basically sandwiching the canvas and outer black vinyl cover.

It should look like this then, either in aluminum or ( originally) painted black:

Last edited by fordson; 05-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote