Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
bluecollarbill

Default Y block temperature sender in right head

The temperature sender for the Y block in my '55 Fairlane is in the rear of the left head next to the last intake manifold bolt. There is a similar port in the right head in the same location that appears to have a freeze plug in it. I would like to add a mechanical temperature gauge as a belt and suspenders measure and I am wondering if this port in the right head is already threaded if I remove the freeze plug or will i have to thread it - anyone ever had any experience with this before ?

Thanks
bluecollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Y block temperature sender in right head

Hard to say what’s been done over the years. Y block heads will move from left to right side. Those ports are used for the head/intake water passage at the front, and plugged or used for the temp sender at the back. There’s a press in bushing on the drivers side for the oem temp sender. No reason you couldn’t put one on the right rear if the head hasn’t been modified. The problem is most senders won’t clear the distributor.

They make a tool to pull the bushing, I’ve used it to change a 55 to a 56 sender, they’re different sizes.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
... No reason you couldn’t put one on the right rear if the head hasn’t been modified. The problem is most senders won’t clear the distributor.
bluecollarbill,
Depending on which distributor the engine has the clearance between the head & distributor is about an inch at best.
The hole in the head at the right rear is not threaded. The small freeze plug is a press-in fit and the same size as the hole for the Temp bushing. (.906" ?)
The threaded hole inside a '55/'56 Temp bushing is 3/8 inch 'pipe thread', a tapered fitting.
The OD of a '57+ bushing is the same but the inside threads are 1/4 inch pipe thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 & '57 temp sensors c.jpg (35.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-03-2019 at 10:14 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

And I think they forgot to mention, that if you tried to use the '57 and later temperature sender, it is a 12-volt unit that will not function properly with your original guage. But if you have converted to 12-volt electrical system, the '57 temp sender can be used with '57 thru 59 gauges (may need to swap guage faceplate and needles with your old ones). And the '57 & later gauges require the addition of a regulator which can be mounted under dash near the guage.
Most of the resto parts suppliers sell the press-in bushing that goes into the head and they sell the sending units and regulators also.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
54vicky

good info on the sending units but he wants to install a mechanical gauge not electric.I do not think there will be room due to distributor
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Y block temperature sender in right head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollarbill View Post

The temperature sender for the Y block in my '55 Fairlane is in the rear of the left head next to the last intake manifold bolt. There is a similar port in the right head in the same location that appears to have a freeze plug in it. I would like to add a mechanical temperature gauge...
It will not be threaded if there is a cup in it. Threads are determined by the year of the engine (sending unit sizing) through the use of a bushing.

The mechanical coolant temp gauge, have you researched the size of the sending unit? Thread and overall length (incl bulb length/installed depth)?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
JimNNN

I put a mechanical gauge on my '54 y block to replace my electrical gauge which had stopped working. Best thing I ever did, as a modern mechanical gauge conveys more and better information to the operator than the original electrical units did. The sending unit location was on the driver side (USA) and I had a hard time finding an adapter that would accommodate my particular mechanical sensor, but I did find one at Speedway Motors. If you encounter the same difficulty message me and I'll see if I can find the part number of that adapter. ( Speedway probably won't be able to find the exact part. The counter guy at Speedway gave up trying to find something until a very knowledgeable sprint car customer who overheard the conversation pointed him to the correct item.)
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Ole Don

I don't care how hot the rear of the engine is. I drilled and tapped a hole near the thermostat in front.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote