Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default Briggs Window Frames

I've noticed that there are two different widths of window frames for Briggs Town sedans. Its not all that critical at this point, since I've already wood-grained my frames and garnish mouldings, but I have two different widths of window frames (collected over time and obviously from different cars in my conversion from a standard fordor to a Town Sedan). My suspicion is that perhaps the wider width is for '29 models, and the narrower for '30 - '31 cars? Does anyone have a more definitive answer?

Thanks --

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Briggs Window Frames

There were two types of Briggs door window mouldings (Deluxe vs. Standard) having nothing to do with finish. Other than that all straight windshield Briggs Fordor models used mouldings that were dimensionally the same. However the front door mouldings were wider than the rears.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Dick Carne

Marco -

Thanks for your response to my inquiry. Perhaps I was a little misleading in my comment about finish - I only meant to say that I have already finished woodgraining all of the interior trim. But to my point, I have one front and one rear window frame that each measure roughly 1 3/16 in width, and another front and rear window frame that each measure roughly 1 7/16 in width. As you have noted, the rear frames are indeed interchangeable, so at least I can match both width frames on the same side of the car so as not to cause attention to the differences without comparing both sides simultaneously. Both sets have the mounting set up for the nickel door pulls (and are not the stamped pulls like on the standard models). More than likely it won't be that noticeable once installed with the interior, but in the meantime, the difference in the measurements of the two widths piqued my curiosity. Thanks again -

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That's interesting, I learned something. The narrow ones are apparently from a 60-A or B Leather back Fordor. I believe all the others have the integral stamped "pull-to" as well as a double lip across the front face of the bottom providing a lip to overlap the top edge o the door trim panel. I looked at my 170-B Deluxe Fordor and it has the wider bottom so it overhangs the woodgrained "door garnish trim panel".