Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
New2modelA

Default 1931 Model A Serial Number

Hello Yall!

I JUST purchased my first Model A & receved it yesterday, I am so excited! I bought it out of Florida and since I was told it had a clear title, I was not too concerned, that is, until i saw the title. I am concerned about the serial number.

There are only 4 digits.

The serial number tag on the fire wall is painted over. The engine block vin location is blank & both frame rails are covered by fiberglass fenders (On a steel body) & they obviously wont be visible, until I remove the fenders.

Is it the end of the world as I know it?

Thank you in advance,
Chris Kennedy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 model a title.jpg (97.2 KB, 255 views)
New2modelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: 1931 Model A Serial Number

If the title says so your good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engineno.jpg (72.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
Sunnybrook Farm

Yes you are officially good, now you only have to figure the real number for your own information. Sounds like you will have to pull the body, the number is near the rear motor mount on the top outside of the frame. The car could be a mixture of parts from various cars but most of it probably belongs on that frame. You are lucky that you don't have to mess with getting a title!
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Look on the door jambs or any other visible surface on the body/frame as Maryland may have attached their own number (2529) which is what your title states is the Vin #,
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2modelA View Post
Hello Yall!

I JUST purchased my first Model A & receved it yesterday, I am so excited! I bought it out of Florida and since I was told it had a clear title, I was not too concerned, that is, until i saw the title. I am concerned about the serial number.

There are only 4 digits.

The serial number tag on the fire wall is painted over. The engine block vin location is blank & both frame rails are covered by fiberglass fenders (On a steel body) & they obviously wont be visible, until I remove the fenders.

Is it the end of the world as I know it?

Thank you in advance,
Chris Kennedy
Assuming the vehicle was manufactured in the United States the serial number should start with a star and the the letter "A" followed by 7 digits and a second star. Contact the seller and ask where the number is on the vehicle? His answer should be interesting. There is no serial number tag on the firewall. There is body number tag on bodies not built by Ford (what body style is yours?) that should not be used to identify the vehicle. State assigned vehicle identification numbers are usually attached to the door jam. Hopefully one of these may be the source of the 4 digit number (not right but at least a starting point). There is also a plate on the firewall that shows the patents that applied to the vehicle (available as a reproduction) that may be the one that is painted over. The engine block would not have a serial if it was a replacement block from Ford. Model B (1932-34) engines did not have a serial number stamped into the block, does your engine have a fuel pump or block off plate where one should be (indicating a '32-'34 engine)? If the number on the frame is in the correct location you can't just remove the fenders to see it, the entire body must be lifted (See Post #2 for location). Did you buy it from a dealer or a private party? Can you return it? Do something quick before they spend your money. I hope you have the "clear title" comment in writing, you may need it in court. Keep a copy of all advertising for the vehicle. Was it purchased through EBAY or similar if so, there might be protection there? Don't throw away correspondence or emails, you may need them in court. YOU NEED TO GET THIS RESOLVED BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ON THE VEHICLE.

Right now it sounds like you have a worthless piece of paper (EBAY?) and a vehicle you can't prove is yours.

Good Luck

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 02-07-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
redmodelt

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If there is no tag on the door jamb, lift the front floor boards and look on frame rails, both sides, under them. If you don't find one there, engine or passenger side of firewall or on the frame rails, call the seller and ask. Once the tag is located, I would think it would be an easy matter after that to get the car in your name. More then likely when Maryland issued a title to that number a tag would have been attached somewhere on the car.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
rocket1

I would just go to motor vehicle and try to register it,don't volunteer any info,the worst that could happen is it would be rejected,then the fun starts!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
Bob C

I agree with Charlie. I would be sure that number was on the car somewhere.
What do you do if the car is destroyed and the insurance says were it the number that is on the paper work?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
JD-OHIO

I can tell you from experience, that to transfer an out of state title to an Ohio title they require a VIN Verification be done by a qualified individual (Law officer, car dealer). You can download a form from the DMV web site.
JD-OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
redmodelt

Oregon too for out of state transfers of title, but we have to take the car to the DMV. In state no problem just have all the paper work and stand in line at the DMV.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
If there is no tag on the door jamb, lift the front floor boards and look on frame rails, both sides, under them. If you don't find one there, engine or passenger side of firewall or on the frame rails, call the seller and ask. Once the tag is located, I would think it would be an easy matter after that to get the car in your name. More then likely when Maryland issued a title to that number a tag would have been attached somewhere on the car.
Maryland puts Nothing on any cars.. I would call the Maryland DMV in Greenbelt and ask them why that title is that way and what you can do with it..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #12
Garagekulture13

I'm in Tennessee and have a late model 1931 indented firewall. My vin on the title matched the motor vin as well as the frame vin but the title said it was a 1932. Which obviously it isn't. The state's response about correcting the title? If it says it's a 1932 then it's a 1932. So my title to this day says 1932. My point is these cars are getting close to 100 years old. Paperwork mishaps are bound to happen. No it's not the end of the world. You CAN see the vin on the frame without removing the body. I did it on mine. It's a complete pain and had to contort my body to get my head where I could see but I saw it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #13
RB_Nielsen

I've been through this before....

In my case, the VIN on the title was assigned by the DMV in accordance with the Highway Patrol. This came as a result of building/restoring my Model A from an assortment of body/running gear/all kinds of parts. When it was assembled and almost complete, I contacted the Highway Patrol to drop by and inspect the car. I showed all my receipts and the officer certified the car to be legitimate insofar as it not being illegal/stolen/etc. There's a legal word for this activity but I've long forgotten what it is. Anyway, I took the HP paper/certificate to my DMV where they provided a title, registration/license.

When we moved here (from another state) I simply took the former state's paperwork to the local DMV, and they promptly issued an instate title, registration, license, etc, etc. Long story short, if you possess a valid title then you are good to go. Last but not least, if you cannot find your title number somewhere that's easy to find then proceed to stamp it in.

You're through.
RB_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Texas requires either visual verification of the number on the engine pad by the coolant inlet or a pencil rubbing of the frame number under the left front corner of the body. The TXDOT offices have a book that tells them where the number is supposed to be for most cars and it covers a lot of different makes from the roaring 20s & dirty 30s. The last one I had verified was by a state certified inspection station so the DOT doesn't have to do it here. I had to lift the body on my 29 Sport Coupe to find the number there. My engine has later characteristics than early to mid 1929 but there is no number stamped on the normal location.

Every state is different but most of them have access to registration rules and instructions available to the public on the internet.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-09-2020 at 10:22 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
ronn

I HAVE A FRIEND IN CHILLICOTHE OH, IF ANYONE NEEDS AN INSPECTION. HE IS IN THE HOBBY............

send a pm
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
copgib

I will add my 2-cents. Being a 4 number on the Title I would believe that DMV assigned that number to the car and it should be somewhere on the vehicle. That is my guess. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagekulture13 View Post
I'm in Tennessee and have a late model 1931 indented firewall. My vin on the title matched the motor vin as well as the frame vin but the title said it was a 1932. Which obviously it isn't. The state's response about correcting the title? If it says it's a 1932 then it's a 1932. So my title to this day says 1932. My point is these cars are getting close to 100 years old. Paperwork mishaps are bound to happen. No it's not the end of the world. You CAN see the vin on the frame without removing the body. I did it on mine. It's a complete pain and had to contort my body to get my head where I could see but I saw it.

Is it a high number? Maybe it was first sold in 1932.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #18
Bob C

You can see there were Model A's produced in 1932 in the US and Canada
at this MAFCA link. https://mafca.com/data_aplants.html

Also from MAFCA site."The Ford Model A production began in October 1927 and continued through March 1932."
I have a late 1931 Model AA mail truck with a March 1932 frame number.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #19
Garagekulture13

Here is how my title reads. I believe the vin comes back as a late 1930. Also I included a picture of the gentleman I got the car from and one of the last cars in his collection. Apparently there were two restored Model Ts that were behind the cars pictured that had just recently been shipped to Ireland and in the other garage were other cars. When he showed me the title I wasn't happy at all. I really liked the car and he assured me this was a rare Model A titled as a 1932. So without further ado I bought her and brought her home.

Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
F.M.
BANNED

That # you show 4226614 was stamped & built on "12/16/30'' The next question to you is, how did that early of an engine # get in a May 1931 or later built car ??

Last edited by F.M.; 02-08-2020 at 02:51 PM.
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote