Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Synchro909

Default Mounting a side mount spare to the chassis

I am putting another Model A together out of bits I have laying about and it will have a side mounted spare but I've never taken a close look at how the bracket is attached to the chassis. It almost looks as though it uses the same bolts as the engine mount to chassis but longer. There are no holes in the chassis already that look anything like close. Does anybody have a picture or even measurements and a description if the engine mounting bolts are not the ones please?
Old 12-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Mounting a side mount spare to the chassis

To begin with, if your export version is the same as the US designed version, the mounting brackets are different between 28/29 and 30/31. Usually you will see three triangular shaped dimples in the frame rail(s) where the rivet holes should/will be drilled.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I am putting another Model A together out of bits I have laying about and it will have a side mounted spare but I've never taken a close look at how the bracket is attached to the chassis. It almost looks as though it uses the same bolts as the engine mount to chassis but longer. There are no holes in the chassis already that look anything like close. Does anybody have a picture or even measurements and a description if the engine mounting bolts are not the ones please?
Please describe your frame...is it a 28/29 or 30/31...is it the USA version or the Canadian version? Quite frankly I do not think there was a difference between the Canadian and USA version...was there?

Please review this article as it will point out the area for the side mount spare.

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/frame/..._Assembly2.pdf

The holes that go in the frame are 11/32".

So we are on the right page and I do not type the wrong information...See page 249 and 508 in the Ford Service Bulletins.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-26-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Synchro909

Sorry guys, I should have realised details of the chassis would be kinda useful. It is a 1928 chassis - one where the motor was bolted directly to the front X member. I think it is of Canadian origin and there are no dimples on it.
On reading Page 508 of he Service Bulletins (Glad I went to the trouble of getting one of those!), I note that the triangular plate that attaches to the wheel is verticle. There is no inclination as described so I guess it doesn't matter on which side I instal it. I will put it on th epassenger's side (Left).
I think Page 249 of the bulletins will give me what I need, Thanks Steve.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Dennis Pereira

I have a 1928 frame with solid motor mount that is drilled both sides and a 29 and a 30 with dimples . The 1928 looks just like page 249 of the service Bulletin . I can take a photo in the morning of the 28 if needed .
Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Pereira View Post
I have a 1928 frame with solid motor mount that is drilled both sides and a 29 and a 30 with dimples . The 1928 looks just like page 249 of the service Bulletin . I can take a photo in the morning of the 28 if needed .
Thanks Dennis but I've already put it on using the dimensions on Page 249(?). By the time holes are put in the chassis rail for the engine mount and more for the brake anti rattle spring mounts, there is not much space for the extra holes. No wonder they tend to sag at this point! I guess that the difference between your chassis with the holes already punched and mine without is yours is US made and mine is Canadian. There was no number on the chassis either but there is now!
I'm starting to sag now too. 38 degrees out there and rising. It's only a bit after 1 O'Clock now so by 5, it will be too hot for me. Glad to have that job out of the way.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
updraught

It'll probably be easier to get a right hand guard with the well in it, as that is where it went on the utes.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
It'll probably be easier to get a right hand guard with the well in it, as that is where it went on the utes.
Got a well and will fit it to a guard after new year. Looks like the hold up will be getting my hands on a Mitchell O/D (gear splitter). No word yet on when it's due. Sue's passing won't have helped but that's OK - it's too hot to spend more than early mornings in the workshop. 40C (104F) so far and there are a couple of hours left where it will rise further today and no end in sight.
For our American friends slogging their way through winter, there were several places yesterday where the temperature topped 49C (120F).The sleigh needs a new raditator.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Hoogah

You need to relocate to charming Warrnambool, Synchro! We maxxed out in the low 30s at lunchtime today before a beautiful sea breeze kicked in.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 AM   #10
updraught

I did have a matching pair of 29 welled guards years ago. So they must have been sold here as the "sports" version? Can't have been many tho.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote