Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #21
Chris Marshall

Default Re: Mallory sbc to 8BA 4 lobe cam issues

This post has been a great learning experience. Not having any early Mallory documentation I've been going by trial and error.

I have an early Mallory Magspark coil and could never figure out just how it was supposed to work. It is clearly marked 6V. I also have a Mallory Voltmaster coil in the same rectangular style case. It is marked 12V and has a single primary connection. I'll try to post photos of both later today.

I recently sent CharlieNY an early sbc Mallory for conversion to flathead. Apparently I got lucky and sent him one with the points positioned 180 degrees apart. In looking through others I have, they are the 4 lobe style with the points 135 degrees apart. The points are not connected to each other and each set has it's own insulated connection outside the distributor body. Would not have worked well for what I'm planning!
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
Charlie ny
BANNED

Chris,
You should receive the Mallory today or Friday. Eyeballing your distributor is

what got me going here. I did install yours in my big cam stroker motor....286...and
it fired right up, fat blue spark. The carbs checked out primo as well.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Marshall View Post
This post has been a great learning experience. Not having any early Mallory documentation I've been going by trial and error.

I have an early Mallory Magspark coil and could never figure out just how it was supposed to work. It is clearly marked 6V. I also have a Mallory Voltmaster coil in the same rectangular style case. It is marked 12V and has a single primary connection. I'll try to post photos of both later today.

I recently sent CharlieNY an early sbc Mallory for conversion to flathead. Apparently I got lucky and sent him one with the points positioned 180 degrees apart. In looking through others I have, they are the 4 lobe style with the points 135 degrees apart. The points are not connected to each other and each set has it's own insulated connection outside the distributor body. Would not have worked well for what I'm planning!
Chris,

It looks like you have the components for a complete "MagSpark" unit. I have been grabbing every bit of Mallory documentation from the web I can find for the last 5 years and have a folder about 1" thick with it. If you would like, I could dig through my stash and see what I have on the "MagSpark" if it would help. Just let me know. I just sold a couple of condensers to a guy running a "MagSpark" on a flathead, and except for some accelerated point wear (thus the need for new condensers) it seems to run well.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #24
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Chris,

It looks like you have the components for a complete "MagSpark" unit. I have been grabbing every bit of Mallory documentation from the web I can find for the last 5 years and have a folder about 1" thick with it. If you would like, I could dig through my stash and see what I have on the "MagSpark" if it would help. Just let me know. I just sold a couple of condensers to a guy running a "MagSpark" on a flathead, and except for some accelerated point wear (thus the need for new condensers) it seems to run well.
Denny I have what I believe is a NOS Magspark for an 8BA with Mallory dash switch. Unfortunately no coil or paperwork. I will take some pics tonight & post.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #25
tubman

BY "NOS MagSpark", I assume you are referring to the distributor. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I think the dash switch just cuts the ballast resistor in and out. I also have an extra 12 volt "MagSpark" coil.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #26
KiWinUS

Sorry for confusion. Yes I mean distributor & yes that’s all the switch does. I do have some old Mallory coils but not sure what this distributor needs. I will post coil pics also.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #27
tubman

Basically, if the distributor has two coil terminals, it uses one of the special coils or a "MagSpark" unit.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #28
solidaxle

KiaWinUs,

What does the ID tag on the side of the distributor say?
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #29
Chris Marshall

Here's photos of the Magspark and Voltmaster coils I have. Mine is not nearly as clean as the one solidaxle shows. The primary connection tabs have a very distinct "P" and "R" stamped in them. Do these have any meaning?

The Voltmaster uses the exact same casing as the Magspark. The two primary terminals are repurposed as "+" and "-". The Magspark Ignition terminal is covered with a small plastic cap on the Voltmaster.

Denny, I'd certainly be interested in a copy of any Magspark information you might have. I have a "not fordbarn friendly" project that would be perfect for this setup. I'm not sure my coil is good though. It's leaking alot of tar. Possibly Skip can rewind these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mallory1.jpg (46.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Mallory2.jpg (32.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Mallory3.jpg (36.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Mallory4.jpg (50.6 KB, 19 views)
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #30
Fordors

Mallory distributors will have an M in the model designation, as in YCM if it is an original MagSpark version, and there will also be a small round tag that says MagSpark. But I think any Mallory dual point could be used with a MagSpark transformer by removing the jumper wire between the point sets and properly wiring it. Not only is the transformer voltage and polarity dependent there is also a correct way to wire them for CW or CCW distributor rotation.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #31
KiWinUS

Sorry guy’s I was mistaken the NOS is a “RevPol mk2”. Here’s pics of most of my Mallory stuff also I have several Echlin coils with the bulb on them.
The RevPol is NOS I may have original box but can’t locate I sure wish I had instructions for it. I also have a couple of DuCoil dizzys one a NOS Olds wrong direction but it was cheap for cap & rotor spares they are not flathead YET.

Last edited by KiWinUS; 08-07-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #32
Fordors

Chris, I believe your Voltmaster was introduced in the late ‘60’s, early ‘70’s and it was the replacement for a number of other Mallory coils. Previously there was another coil designated as the Voltmaster, it looked like a conventional coil.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #33
tubman

I particularly like the round-bottomed coils that have "The Best Coil I Ever Made" engraved in the bottom. I like that show of confidence.