Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 AM   #41
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: When is a "Model A" no longer a "Model A"

[QUOTE=

I get that to a point. Example would be the opening scene in Cheech and Chongs "up in smoke" where Tommy pulls out in his VW bug with a Rolls Royce grill straped to it. Doesn't make the car a Rolls.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly there was an aftermarket kit at one time to put that on a VW. I remember seeing a few of them back in in the day.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #42
bobscogin

If you have a hip replaced, are "you" still "you", then a knee replaced, or cataract surgery? Since the question has to do more with the metaphysics of identity than with the Model A, this example may help explain it.
https://human.libretexts.org/Bookshe...hip_of_Theseus

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #43
johnneilson

To which this brings up the "shade tree mechanic" or even worst "the local repair shop"

We have all witnessed some sort of "repairs" that were performed back when supplies and parts were non-existent. Some had to adapt from whatever they could find, is it still a Model"A"?

Not to mention, back in the late 20's people and companies were making and selling improvement components from bodies to OHV cyl heads. This is not new.

While I like to look at all the cars, some don't interest me, I just keep walking.
What I like to see is something driven, doesn't have to be perfect and if it has marks, dings etc. It tells a story.

Enjoy the hobby for now, it may not be here in the future. John
Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #44
Hotrodfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
What kind of paint? Has that duller deeper looking finish like lacquer (which personally I like).

What name brand tires are you using? The top car looks like bias ply, bottom car radials?
The paint is a tractor enamel - and the lower picture has a fair smattering of sand and sea salt on it...

The Tourer is currently running 475/500 Firestones on the front and 600 Michelen Engleberts on the rear.

The Coupe has 450 front and 500 rear Blockleys. They're a soft compound 85% section crossply.

https://www.blockleytyre.com/
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #45
Jim Brierley

I call my cars "Vintage Hot Rods", My body has had a hip, Eye lenses, and a few other things reoplaced, so guess I am vintage too, and I'm only 83 years of age!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #46
LeroyM

The body is what makes it a "Model A" to me. Everything else can be changed and it's still a "Model A". If you took the body off the frame and made it a "Hay Wagon" I would say it's no longer a "Model A".
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #47
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
I call my cars "Vintage Hot Rods", My body has had a hip, Eye lenses, and a few other things reoplaced, so guess I am vintage too, and I'm only 83 years of age!
Jim,

wasn't there a story about being conceived in a Model "A"??

maybe not you..........J
Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #48
MALAK

I'll just leave this here.
Is it a Model A?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-06-01_12-38-30_369.jpg (53.4 KB, 43 views)
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #49
Purdy Swoft

From what I read , that use to be a fairly common thing . I feel that sort of thing pretty much ruined a model A coupe body . It could probably be patched up but would never be the same again .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #50
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAK View Post
Is it a Model A?
That's cool, during gas rationing commercial vehicles got more gas! No I wasn't born yet.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #51
johnneilson

Quote:
Is it a Model A?
By all definition, yes.
It is a part of the history of this country where people improvised and overcame.

J
Old 08-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #52
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
I don't profess that my opinion is the only true belief, as variety is the spice of life. If more people felt that way, we'd have less strife in this country now. But here goes: I got into Model A's because of the simplicity and purity of the design. While driving it, you can feel the mechanisms working and you become part of the machine, unlike the total isolation from the machine in modern cars. Anything that changes that driving experience makes a Model A less of a Model A. High compression head, B engine, fancy carburetors, etc. for more power? Why not just get a car that has more power to begin with? Buicks or Chryslers of the Model A era have plenty of power. Overdrive for higher speed? You're missing the point of driving an antique car! You're trying to duplicate a modern car's performance. Just go modern then if speed is what you need. Juice brakes for better stopping power? Why not just repair your mechanical brakes correctly? I can skid all four wheels on both my A's with the standard mechanical set up. I understand people who like the conveniences of a modern car wrapped in the look of an antique. But in my opinion, these good folks are poseurs.

Then there is the "era correct" school of modifications. For instance, Ford dealers sold a down draft made by Stromberg-Bendix in 1931. There were a host of aftermarket heads, including OHV's available during the production era of the Model A. If you include aftermarket accessories available between late 1927 and 1931, then it's a different story. Personally, I find it satisfying to wring out 60 HP at the rear wheels from an engine that puts out 40 HP at the flywheel. I think you have the word poseurs mixed up with with hot rodders.

Last edited by denis4x4; 08-05-2020 at 08:17 AM.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #53
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Then there is the "era correct" school of modifications. For instance, Ford dealers sold a down draft made by Stromberg-Bendix in 1931. There were a host of aftermarket heads, including OHV's available during the production era of the Model A. If you include aftermarket accessories available between late 1927 and 1931, then it's a different story. Personally, I find it satisfying to wring out 60 HP at the rear wheels from an engine that puts out 40 HP at the flywheel. I think you have the word poseurs mixed up with with hot rodders.
IMO, people that want to increase creature comforts are "street rodders", people focus on increasing performance are "hot rodders". I don't like the term "posers" because it is meant as a derogatory term to describe someone that has different tastes/goals than the one saying it in an attempt to make themselves feel superior and/or perhaps more "righteous" in their own pursuits than those with a differing aspirations for their car.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #54
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Alot of people like the car as it came off the line,others as it was used and modified as time went on.It seems those who prefer the car as it came off the line in reality have a modified car,but since the modifications are 'accepted' then they can fly the flag of purist and call folks who disagree 'posers'..childish actions of those who seek to be exclusive..funny,we all like the same car,and there are enough of them to go around..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #55
Jack Shaft
BANNED

What many don't realize that by increasing the model A engines horsepower you raise its efficiency,it run cooler and gets better fuel economy than stock..many issues people have with their stock engines can be cured through raising effciency ..
Old 08-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #56
Russ B

Quote:
Is it a Model A?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
From what I read , that use to be a fairly common thing . I feel that sort of thing pretty much ruined a model A coupe body . It could probably be patched up but would never be the same again .
In the fifties and sixties, Model A “pickup coupes” were still being regularly driven in rural area. They are reflective of our WWII history. My 29 cabriolet still has the headlight that were most common from the fifties on. Just the car’s history.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #57
Brad in Germany

Original vintage Model A (ran when parked) with original 6V charging system, complete with correct 1931 Ford Model A radiator shell:

Brad in Maryland

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 08-06-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #58
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Sport coupe with a pickup box...like a bum in a tuxedo

say no to drugs
Old 08-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #59
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post

Sport coupe with a pickup box...like a bum in a tuxedo

say no to drugs

Lol. That’s hilarious. That car has “dual citizenship,” Ford and VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #60
77Birdman

I like how they put the Ford emblem right above the VW motor! I have to admit, one of the more unique Model A's I have seen.

I saw one at the Rennigers show a few years ago that had the motor removed and the owner install a bank of batteries to create a fully electric A. That was creative as well.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote