Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Frame to front and rear end alignment

So here is the background...

The A frame is straight all the way around.

Attached the Rear Motor Mounts to the frame. Attached the Flywheel Housing to the Rear Motor Mounts (no engine in the frame). Attached the Clutch Housing Assembly to the Flywheel Housing.

With the assembled front end and rear end on jackstands, attached those to the frame with wheels and tires on both.

When I bring the front end's Front Radius Rod up to attach to the Clutch Housing, it is off to the right about 3/4 of an inch...I would think it should just come up and mate with Clutch Housing but it does not.

Same with rear end...off to the side about 1 inch but when I bring the Torque Tube upwards it strightens itself out but with some force.

At first I thought the main spring attachment bolt was off so I moved it but that only slightly helped.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause? Again the frame is straight at all angles.

It may straighten up when I put the whole assembly on the ground but it is hotter than hell here so staying inside for a while.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Frame to front and rear end alignment

I had a similar issue with the radius ball aligning with the clutch housing, though mine was not off that far. I was able to just jack it into place, but 3/4 of an inch is fairly large. I don't have any idea why this is like this because my frame was straight as well, and any sag around the motor mounts would not do this.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Will N

A slight bend in the front axle, or a slight misalignment of the spring eyes, will magnify over the length of the radius rods. I don't think 3/4 inch is too bad, so long as you can move it into the socket without too much force needed.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
katy

Are the spring shackles tightened up tight? (as they shouldn't be) Or do they have a little slack?
Also the U bolts should be on the loose side while you're assembling things and tightened later when it's all together.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
WHN

Similar problem when we put front end back together after rebuilding.

We were using a different wishbone. The original one was worn and bent where it mounted to front axel on drivers side.

Well problem was axel also had a very slight bend. Most likely car was hit years ago on drivers side front wheel.

Fixed axel problem, everything fit fine.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
Big hammer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Working at my dads store we where assembling a barbecue grill that won't go together. Dad gave up , the hired man and I put it together after reading the instructions...............
Assemble loose then tighten up the hardware! Just maybe?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
100IH

Steve did you do the diagonal measurements? Just for grins do you have an old bare block. Put on the timing cover and front support yoke and install and look at where the stud on the yoke matches with the hole in the F. crossmember. That is just another indicator of Parallel issue but to the other side. Flying quails long ago.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Tacoma Bob

Pluck, for what it's worth. When I had my motor,trans etc out of the car along with the front fenders removed I could lift the very ends of each frame rail up a good inch or two with one finger. the front end was off as well and my jack stands were just ahead of the motor mounts. These babies flex.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The assembled driveline is 'god' not the frame.this is a pretty constant argument here,the frame is a way to carry the body and transmits some suspension load but the true rigidity and basis for 'square' is the assembled engine/trans/torque tube/rear axle,in my opinion..once the driveline is installed leave spring u bolts loose to catch with wishbone ball.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
Step-down

I hope I understand correct
Rear T tube I ratchet strap To pull
Front wish bone the same that set the caster 6 degrees . Some times if shackles aren’t rebuild it could cause issue.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Thanks Guys!

I will take all these suggestions under consideration when harvest is over and the heat dies down.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Synchro909

There are lots of ways the A frame might not line up exactly. Spring shackles need only be slightly off and the movement is magnified by the time you're back at the ball. A few thousandths of an inch inch clearance in the shackles is all it could take to make a difference like that and who worries about a few thou there?
During the heat treatment of springs, it is VERY common for the leaves to "wander" a little. Again, a slight difference would make a 3/4" difference at the ball quite easily.
Just pull the ball into place and do it up. That's what they will have done on the assembly line and they will have had the same things happen during heat treatment etc. Don't overthink this, just do it up and drive. Things will very quickly settle into a "happy" relationship.