Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #1
Karl

Default 34 Issues Ongoing -Video

Further to my previous posts and multiple attempted fixes on my 34 missing with no success . The problem has only got worse Previously seemed to miss and buck around under load now doing it at idle.

The below link takes you to video of me running the car in my garage this afternoon. Starts off running lumpy then I rev it up and it smooths out and runs ok for a while then with me touching nothing it runs rough and eventually dies -It looks like fuel starvation to me but any advice gratefully received

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyTioaqMIwk

Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: 34 Issues Ongoing -Video

Karl I can see in the video the choke is pulled a good bit. I presume it does the same with the choke open?

Have you check the plugs after it does to see if maybe it is flooding itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #3
petehoovie

Yup, seems to be loading up (fuel) at idle. Why is the choke engaged?....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #4
Brian

You choose to disregard the advise I gave way back on your other post? About how I had the same problem for months. About how I tried everything....and finally found the problem. As you're discovering. it'll only get worse.
Lots of well meaning members on here have freely given their ideas in an effort to assist you...

Last edited by Brian; 06-24-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:47 AM   #5
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You choose to disregard the advise I gave way back on your other post? About how I had the same problem for months. About how I tried everything....and finally found the problem. As you're discovering. it'll only get worse.
Lots of well meaning members on here have freely given their ideas in an effort to assist you...
Actually Brian I didn't disregard your advice or any ones on here - I listened to what you said and sent you an email last week requesting more information, When i didn't hear back from you i changed the inlet manifold to
a replacement-despite the fact that the original appeared to have no leaks in it as you helpfully suggested it might have . I have followed every suggestion placed on here -Why wouldn't I not being able to drive your car for 6 months is no fun. Just because the offered suggestions have not improved the situation doesn't mean I'm not grateful for or ignoring the advice . Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #6
Brian

Sorry Karl, I received no email from you and had no idea you'd changed manifolds....Question, how do you know the replacement manifold is any better than the one it replaced? They blow out internally where you can't see. The 'fix' is to plug the heat riser hole each side, sure, that eliminates the heat riser, but certainly prevents contaminated inlet charge. Like you, I chased this problem for months, didn't want to accept that the heat riser had blown, so convinced was I that it was electrical
Old 06-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #7
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Karl I can see in the video the choke is pulled a good bit. I presume it does the same with the choke open?

Have you check the plugs after it does to see if maybe it is flooding itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Michael Yep same thing with choke in - however is slightly better with choke out. Again comes right for a while after reved up and then problem returns . Plugs a bit of carbon (Black) on them but not wet. I thought Brian was onto something but the change of inlet manifold didn't seem to improve things in fact things are worse -! guess its possible that both inlet manifolds could have leaks in them but sounds unlikely
Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 AM   #8
Brian

Yes, as unlikely as it sounds, it is very feasible....just try loosening off all the manifold bolts and slip a bit of shim stock under the gasket each side to temporarily plug those passages. [And retighten, lol] Just to eliminate the possibility of a blow out. Then I'll get off my soapbox.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:32 AM   #9
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry Karl, I received no email from you and had no idea you'd changed manifolds....Question, how do you know the replacement manifold is any better than the one it replaced? They blow out internally where you can't see. The 'fix' is to plug the heat riser hole each side, sure, that eliminates the heat riser, but certainly prevents contaminated inlet charge. Like you, I chased this problem for months, didn't want to accept that the heat riser had blown, so convinced was I that it was electrical
Sorry Brian I must have messed up sending you the email -I thought I sent one to Charlie NY and one to you as both of you posted about an inlet leak being a probable cause . I was really after some advice re how to check them . I got both the inlet manifolds resurfaced as the mounting face was a little dinged - Only took 15 thou off one and 12 thous off the other The shop checked them for leaks from exhaust riser, after I told them about your post and thought they were ok -but I'm not sure what the check involved .I'll plug the heat risers Thanks again Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 AM   #10
petehoovie

Karl,,,,this from your previous posts > "Looking under the hood and there you are an air fluid level in the fuel pump bowl. Its sucking air at the fuel pump bowl -Just as one of the early posters suggested on here !- So next weekends job is to fix that -One of the few non original parts i have on my car is the fuel pump with a bowl - Given the varnish in the gas I might stick with it for now" -Karl

So, is it that you replaced the cork gasket on the fuel pump bowl? And, how about the flexible rubber fuel line to the pump?

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 06-24-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Karl,,,,this from your previous posts > "Looking under the hood and there you are an air fluid level in the fuel pump bowl. Its sucking air at the fuel pump bowl -Just as one of the early posters suggested on here !- So next weekends job is to fix that -One of the few non original parts i have on my car is the fuel pump with a bowl - Given the varnish in the gas I might stick with it for now" -Karl

So, is it that you replaced the cork gasket on the fuel pump bowl? And, how about the flexible rubber fuel line to the pump?
Yep I thought that had fixed it - But it didn't . Because it was intermittent then it would be good for a little while and I would think it was ok then it would play up. Definitely no air fluid level in the fuel bowl now . The rubber hose has been changed out to some new fuel line .-I guess the good thing is to me it is looking more a gas issue than electric so we are slowly getting there-Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 03:36 AM   #12
Mart

I suppose you've probably already done it, but do you think it would be worthwhile tearing the carb down and making sure all the passageways are clear?

Do you have another running vehicle you could swap the carb on from? Or another known good carb?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #13
petehoovie

How old is the fuel pump? Are you able to take a pressure reading from it? Many of the new replacement pumps (China made) have been plagued with excessive pressure problems.

I like Mart's idea to swap out the carb....

Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #14
David J

What does a vacuum gauge read when running good and then when it falls off ?

Can you see gas dripping into the venturies when it is dogging down ?

Are you sure you don't have intermittent spark at times ?
Probably not that but it is easy to check .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I could be wrong but a manifold crack should give some serious bucking spitting, at higher revs she runs better ,When they run like that Video you put your hand/fingers over the carb and if it smoothes out you know you likely have a blocked carb ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 06-24-2020 at 04:47 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #16
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I suppose you've probably already done it, but do you think it would be worthwhile tearing the carb down and making sure all the passageways are clear?

Do you have another running vehicle you could swap the carb on from? Or another known good carb?
Yep done that have a known good 97 that I tried and same issue -Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #17
35fordtn

Carl,
Do you have another pump? Maybe that pump is pushing too much pressure for the type needle and seat your carb has. Maybe test the needle and seat and lower the float level down a touch???

Just throwing out easy fix ideas. In the video it sure sounded like fuel to me..but who knows.
Speaking of such which type seat does your carb have? The S-valve or original tyoe needle?
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #18
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
How old is the fuel pump? Are you able to take a pressure reading from it? Many of the new replacement pumps (China made) have been plagued with excessive pressure problems.

I like Mart's idea to swap out the carb....
Fuel pump is a Michael Driskell rebuild so should be good however i did try my old one which I replaced as had some slight weepage and same issue

Can't find my vacuum gauge/ fuel pressure gauge when I looked for it yesterday . However I have conceded defeat and its off to a shop that I trust this afternoon -they will start from scratch
Karl
Old 06-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
What does a vacuum gauge read when running good and then when it falls off ?

Can you see gas dripping into the venturies when it is dogging down ?

Are you sure you don't have intermittent spark at times ?
Probably not that but it is easy to check .
Thanks David As previosuly can't find my vaccum gauge .

I did think about intermittent spark because I did take the conduits off when I replaced the manifold But checked that and despite the raggedy running I do get whack of each plug

Haven't check the venturies

As previously I have conceeded defeat after 6 months (albeit it has never been this bad ) of trying to fix it its going into a trusted shop -Who will probably fix it in an afternoon ! I will let you know !~ -I do really appreciated all the help I have been given. !!!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Carl,
Do you have another pump? Maybe that pump is pushing too much pressure for the type needle and seat your carb has. Maybe test the needle and seat and lower the float level down a touch???

Just throwing out easy fix ideas. In the video it sure sounded like fuel to me..but who knows.
Speaking of such which type seat does your carb have? The S-valve or original tyoe needle?
Sorry Michael don't know -Uncle Max rebuilt it

Will keep you posted

Karl