Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Screw on gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Well you know what they say Bill:
If you scratch a Californian, you'll find an Okie underneath
A Californian planted a row of COTTON, to Oklahoma, to get rid of the OKIES, he FORGOT about the SECOND PICKING!!!
To succeed in a WAR, fly over & drop Cotton Seeds & the OKIES will INVADE!!!
Bill Cottonking
Old 01-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #22
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
A Californian planted a row of COTTON, to Oklahoma, to get rid of the OKIES, he FORGOT about the SECOND PICKING!!!
To succeed in a WAR, fly over & drop Cotton Seeds & the OKIES will INVADE!!!
Bill Cottonking
Ha...okie jokes, love'm.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Tom,
I heard you lowered the IQ of both states when you came here. I know I did.
Dave
Actually that is possible if a person is smarter than the state they left, but dumber than the state they move to.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #24
eagle

Gas cap and radiator both fit well on my 29. Just always been a habit with any fine thread, turn it backwards until you feel the thread drop, then turn it forward. Works with bolts/nuts, precision jar/can lids etc. Coarse threads or anything machined with starter threads not necessary. Grew up on a farm wrenching something my whole life so I don't think twice about some things. I remember laughing when I'd hear someone say before turning a nut "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Doesn't mean those that haven't done it a long time can't do it as well or better, but learning something very early in life makes it second nature. Watch a young teenager run a phone, us older generation will NEVER develop the second nature skills like they have for electronic smart devices.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #25
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Gas cap and radiator both fit well on my 29. Just always been a habit with any fine thread, turn it backwards until you feel the thread drop, then turn it forward. Works with bolts/nuts, precision jar/can lids etc. Coarse threads or anything machined with starter threads not necessary. Grew up on a farm wrenching something my whole life so I don't think twice about some things. I remember laughing when I'd hear someone say before turning a nut "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Doesn't mean those that haven't done it a long time can't do it as well or better, but learning something very early in life makes it second nature. Watch a young teenager run a phone, us older generation will NEVER develop the second nature skills like they have for electronic smart devices.
In our Fillin' Station days, Chief was AWKWARD on the phone & Momma would do the ordering, etc. By then, I had lurned to TALK & haven't ever stopped YET!
Bill Stories
Old 01-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #26
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

The first time I put gas in my 29 Roadster the top part broke so the threaded part stayed on the tank. I used some channel locks to take the threaded part off.

I bought a reproduction cap and it fit perfectly. I have not had any problems threading it back on as reported above.

I'm not sure if the pictures of the cap will show up below. It looks like the two parts are spot welded in three spots. Has anybody repaired these caps before or know anyone who does it?

David Serrano
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (47.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0070.jpg (44.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (41.2 KB, 37 views)
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
The first time I put gas in my 29 Roadster the top part broke so the threaded part stayed on the tank. I used some channel locks to take the threaded part off.

I bought a reproduction cap and it fit perfectly. I have not had any problems threading it back on as reported above.

I'm not sure if the pictures of the cap will show up below. It looks like the two parts are spot welded in three spots. Has anybody repaired these caps before or know anyone who does it?

David Serrano
J.B. WELD TO THE RESCUE!!!
Bro Bill W.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #28
Tom Wesenberg

The original cap inner and outer parts are soldered together. I've taken about a dozen 1928-9 caps apart to repair dents and polish them. Took some mint caps to a plater, and never got them back.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #29
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The original cap inner and outer parts are soldered together. I've taken about a dozen 1928-9 caps apart to repair dents and polish them. Took some mint caps to a plater, and never got them back.
Tom,

It makes sense that they were soldered in three spots. It doesn't look like they could be soldered anywhere else because there is no access to the back of the threaded piece.

Do you think there was any other type of adhesive on the back of the threaded part?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Tom,

It makes sense that they were soldered in three spots. It doesn't look like they could be soldered anywhere else because there is no access to the back of the threaded piece.

Do you think there was any other type of adhesive on the back of the threaded part?

David Serrano
Use a small tip on the propane torch and heat the inner part, and the solder will flow all over between the two parts. This gives plenty of strength. I posted pictures in the past of the caps and the two parts after I unsoldered them. Of course the radiator cap is slightly different on the inner part, since it has no vents.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #31
Glenn Thoreson

Some reproduction/replacement caps just don't fit right. Mine, for example. The ID of the cap was too large and would not screw down tight. I would look for an original with plenty of wear. Remember, in China they're still getting used to using gas caps. I cuss that thing every time I have to touch it.
Glenn Thoreson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #32
redmodelt

I have never had an much of an issue with filling my Model T or other antique cars here in Oregon, the attendant hands me the hose after starting the pump and I fill her up and hang the hose back up. They don't want to be libel for scratching the paint, LOL. (You would have to see the paint ha ha)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #33
rocket1

I am from Jersey,and you can not pump your on gas,I fill gas cans and pour them into the A.I never had a problem with the screw on gas tank cap,I would find an original cap if you have a repop this could be your problem.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote