Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Don

Default Best way to get payment from Sweden

Dealing with a guy from Sweden,wants to use PayPal but I don't belong to PayPal, what would be best way for him to pay???
Old 08-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Best way to get payment from Sweden

Join PayPal....It's free and PayPal affords you a lot of protections....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I have used Paypal for payment on shipment of parts to and from the UK, Europe, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. These were not big buck transactions. For larger sums of money I might consider a bank account transfer to a separate account that you set up not cannected in anyway to your existing bank accounts. I would not want to use Western Union.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Dealing with a guy from Sweden,wants to use PayPal but I don't belong to PayPal, what would be best way for him to pay???
Hey Don,
JM 35 Sedan gives GOOD advice.
I did what he says to do, in a car sale to Germany. You can not lose, as your bank will notify you when/if the funds are in your 'special' account and good. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I have used Paypal for payment on shipment of parts to and from the UK, Europe, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. These were not big buck transactions. For larger sums of money I might consider a bank account transfer to a separate account that you set up not cannected in anyway to your existing bank accounts. I would not want to use Western Union.
John I'm interested in why you wouldn't use Western Union . Living in New Zealand I buy lots of parts and generally pay by paypal . However if a seller doesn't have this I do Western union - I thought Western Union was safe for the seller as payment ( including fees) are made by buyer this end and all the seller has to do is pick up the money by providing the code and then sends the goods with cash payment in hand . ?? Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
trevo

Bank to bank transfers work particularly well with any amount and the Security is the best credit card VISA is usually acceptable to most companies. Personally Western Union and PayPal I would avoid with any international sales/purchases scammers appear to use these two the most I have been informed.
trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Ronnie

I have used pay pay more than once to Slovakia and all went well.Pay Pall works.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
John I'm interested in why you wouldn't use Western Union . Living in New Zealand I buy lots of parts and generally pay by paypal . However if a seller doesn't have this I do Western union - I thought Western Union was safe for the seller as payment ( including fees) are made by buyer this end and all the seller has to do is pick up the money by providing the code and then sends the goods with cash payment in hand . ?? Karl
Western Union has been the choice of many scammers who are mainly working outside the USA selling all kinds of things they really don't own or even have. I personally get scammers contacting me on many of the items I have listed for sale on the Internet, and also in some cases for items I see listed for sale on the Internet and contact the seller for details. These scams usually involve sending or receiving payment through Western Union. Maybe it's just my opinion, but whenever I see the words "Western Union" involving any type of payment, the big red flag goes up in my mind, and it usually means it's a scam.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #9
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Western Union has been the choice of many scammers who are mainly working outside the USA selling all kinds of things they really don't own or even have. I personally get scammers contacting me on many of the items I have listed for sale on the Internet, and also in some cases for items I see listed for sale on the Internet and contact the seller for details. These scams usually involve sending or receiving payment through Western Union. Maybe it's just my opinion, but whenever I see the words "Western Union" involving any type of payment, the big red flag goes up in my mind, and it usually means it's a scam.
Thanks John - i just can't work out how they scam people through western union but I guess that's because I'm not a scammer. I also don't want to scare sellers away when I mention western union -Living over here in New Zealand has its advantages but access to early ford parts is not one of them
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Thanks John - i just can't work out how they scam people through western union but I guess that's because I'm not a scammer. I also don't want to scare sellers away when I mention western union -Living over here in New Zealand has its advantages but access to early ford parts is not one of them
Karl, if you do searches by clicking on the upper right hand box "Search this Forum" and use words such as..... "scam", "scammer", "western union", or "money gram", you will find all sorts of previous posts on how these scumbags work.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 08-14-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Ronnie

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en-C...pe=&as_rights=

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en-C...pe=&as_rights=

This will give you some reading.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
rotorwrench

Western Union is like sending cash. There is no trail and no obligation to react by the seller and there is no recourse if you get bit.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
What about an international money order? They can be obtained at the person's bank.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Fredb_

I have sold many parts Internationally and use PayPal almost exclusively. I like the ease of use and quick transaction turn-around. After literally hundreds of transactions I would recommend PayPal.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #15
G.M.

Quote:
Karl, You said the key word "all the seller has to do is pick up the money".
Who wants to go pick up the money when it go's from PayPal right into
your bank account. Plus PP protects buyer and seller from bad transactions.
G.M.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
What about an international money order? They can be obtained at the person's bank.
Too high of fees vs paypal
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
Krylon32

I've used pay pal friends and family many times with overseas sales with no problems.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've used pay pal friends and family many times with overseas sales with no problems.
Same here. If buyer sends funds via friends & family, seller does not pay PP fees. If buyer is not willing to send fees using that method, I ask them to include % of PP fees in the transaction total. I've never had problems to date using PP, with some transactions in the 1k to 2k range, but i am not into high volume selling.