Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #41
35ragtop

Default Re: Mac's USA made master cylinder or so I thought

Well this discussion made me go and look at my recently arrived Wagner M/C that I bought from C&G and paid extra for USA Made. There on the casting is Made In USA , no sign of Taiwan . But maybe there is a town in Taiwan called USA??
All very confusing.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 AM   #42
expavr

"But maybe there is a town in Taiwan called USA??" LOL!!! I think you've nailed it....
Old 05-23-2015, 05:38 AM   #43
Scott H in Wheaton

Products have Country of Origin, not city of origin.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #44
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Products have Country of Origin, not city of origin.
Yeah, and official e-mails can't go through your own private server, either! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #45
WRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Perhaps this should be handled by Mac's first, and then if you don't get satisfaction you can smear it all over the Internet. But at least give them a chance to respond before digging in your heels.
Normally I would agree with this, but Macs has a rep on this board and gets quick results. Can't beat their catalog, but shipping and state tax has made them not competitive for me. I'm not a big fan of Macs since Eklers bought them out. However, I am optimistic that things will improve.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #46
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
That would be a thought, but online the part clearly states made in USA. Here is the link to the part I paid for. If you click on the picture you will see "Made in USA" stamped on the side.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v...on-pickup.html
Where in the MAC's add did it say 'Made in USA'? I read the thing - did I miss this? If you are just going off of a picture - then you're probably going to be disappointed a bunch of times in that I've never seen anybody keep their pictures as the accurate representation of what you're buying. Heck, in many situations the picture isn't even of the correct part.

If the ADD says it is made in USA - fair enough . . . IMHO, one surely can't go by a picture. If I had any doubts, then I'd ask for a definitive answer upon ordering.

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 05-24-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #47
frederic

You guys do not realize that working in a foundry or big factory is not healthy for you. New laws forbid anything unhealthy so out sourcing is only way. And besides you would make too much per hour if it were allowed and not be eligible for Gov. assistance !!!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #48
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Where in the MAC's add did it say 'Made in USA'? I read the thing - did I miss this? If you are just going off of a picture - then you're probably going to be disappointed a bunch of times in that I've never seen anybody keep their pictures as the accurate representation of what you're buying. Heck, in many situations the picture isn't even of the correct part.

If the ADD says it is made in USA - fair enough . . . IMHO, one surely can't go by a picture. If I had any doubts, then I'd ask for a definitive answer upon ordering.
Funny you should ask, I just looked up the part I ordered on their web site, but the add has been changed and no longer says USA Made, they have changed it. But if you click on the picture, the side of the master cylinder still shows Made in USA. They are quickly covering their tracks, but I have news for them I copied the page showing USA Made before they changed it.

Mac's still has not contacted me, they probably won't until Tuesday because of the holiday. I am interested to see what they say and if they try to say the add never said USA made. Then I will send them a copy of the original page. Time will tell. They definitely violated the Federal Trade Commission, Chapter 5 which deals with Unfair or Deceptive Practices. Changing their add is the first step in protecting themselves. Pleasing me will be step two.

Lets all wait and see what they do?

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #49
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

They haven't changed the thumbnail add on the main page about master cylinders, it still shows USA Made, but if you click on that to just view the item they have changed that page to not show USA Made even though the picture still shows it. here is the link if you want to read it before they change the thumbnail page. It is part number 47-20092-1. http://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v...aster+cylinder

Have a look before they change it if you want to see if it says, USA MADE.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #50
johnh7

Funny how they are changing the add before they contact me? They are quickly removing all traces of it being advertised as USA Made, but even the receipt they sent me shows USA Made. I am sure they will offer me all my money back and maybe the part for free if I will just go away. Lets wait and see?

Here is a redacted [my address removed] copy of the receipt. I had to make it small to upload to this web site, but if you zoom in you can still make out where it says USA Made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac's Receipt redacted_resize.jpg (95.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #51
flatheadfan

John-

You are doing us all a service. Too often people try to resolve things without creating a stir. This usually results in a business doing whatever they can to get you to "go away" and then they return to their business as normal. The on-going vehicle recalls are a good example of how a small number or injuries can shine a big public light on a potential problem for many.

Tom
Old 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #52
johnh7

Here is their current web page add showing master cylinders. It still shows the one I ordered [on the right] as USA made, but if you click on it now it takes you to the item and it no longer shows as USA made. I am sure they will soon change the thumbnail page too, but then why have two adds for the same foreign made item? They will remove it completely as it is more expensive than the foreign made one. They are just quickly cleaning things up to avoid more problems.

Part of chapter 5 states that misleading adds or adds that tend to mislead most people is part of the crime. They are cleaning up their act. I have no problem if they clean up their act and no longer advertise an item as USA Made and charge more money for it, when in fact it is made in Taiwan. I just want my money back and I will go elsewhere for a USA Made master cylinder. It doesn't change the fact that they tried to pass off a foreign made item as USA Made. Their web page advertises it as USA Made, the box it came in shows USA Made, the receipt they sent me shows USA Made, the price they charged me was more because it was USA Made, but the item is not USA Made and they never removed the Made in Taiwan sticker from the box. Very sloppy!

The item i received is not what I ordered or even close. That is bait and switch, which is also part of Chapter 5 of the Federal Trade commission Act. Odd thing is, The Federal Trade Commission Act does not require Mens Rea [Mens rea is a legal phrase used to describe the mental state a person must be in while committing a crime for it to be intentional. It can refer to a general intent to break the law or a specific, premeditated plan to commit a particular offense.] The Federal Trade commission Act just requires that most people would be equally deceived and financially harmed. That makes it much easier to prosecute. They didn't have to plan the deception, but if their actions show deception that most people would be deceived by, they committed the crime. Mens Rea does not have to be proved. In law enforcement we always were concerned with Mens Rea or for the lay person "criminal intent".

It will be interesting to see what they offer me to make me just go away.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf two listed master cylinders.pdf (62.8 KB, 14 views)

Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #53
ford38v8

Step back and take a look at the business practices of those companies that sell these Chinese products. They all know very well what the quality issues are, yet some allow the consumer to be uninformed, while others will make special effort to point up the fact that the part is Chinese. I'm sure everyone who's been following this thread knows which companies do or do not make that effort on our behalf.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #54
johnh7

For those of you who think I went too far with this, you are part of the problem as a consumer. You prefer to be quiet and deal with things personally and let the vendor just rectify things with you. That does not change anything for consumers as a whole and it makes you part of the problem and not part of making things right for everyone. Yes I made a big stink about it, but it didn't start out that way, I just showed the two stickers as humor. Then those of you who are "better than me" or "smarter than me" began to chime in and say what I was doing wrong and how I assumed too much etc. So I began to post things to justify my concerns. The problem with you dissenters is you do nothing and just roll over and let the poor business practices continue. Doing things my way is louder and appears negative, but it makes changes. Mac's is already cleaning up their web site, do you think they would do that if you simply called them? Think again! They are not making that change because of just one person being concerned, they now (due to this forum) have thousands of concerned customers. That makes the Federal Trade Commission Act very powerful as it requires many to be deceived by the same add before it is prosecute-able.

Change is being made and maybe it will make Mac's more careful with how they do business. You could all profit by our discussion here. You think the Mac's representative is not reading all of this and passing it on to his superiors? He knows how many of us have read what is written here and he sees those of you who are upset by the deceptive add. That make them more liable and they will quickly change their way of doing business.

At this point I don't plan to push the issue, but if you think I didn't grab all the evidence before it was changed you are mistaken. Too many years as a police detective. I copied everything! Better to have it and not need it, than not have it if you do.

Lets all wait and see how Mac's handles this with me. I will post what they offer me to make me just go away. If they do the right thing I am sure we will all be pleased and continue to do business with them. But they need to be careful in the future as they can see we are intelligent consumers who know our rights and won't let them do bait and switch or false and misleading advertising.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #55
donald1950

with it spelled Usa Made with only the "U" in capitols and Made in Twian written in english, french & spanish, and as that is on the Macs label, i think someone at Macs is not bright enough tomake a label with the bar code and then move label down and cover the info on the box. still dealing with "truth in advertizing" with Macs
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #56
34pickup

All these complaints about cheap foreign made products reminds me of a quote by a man that in retrospect I wish had been elected:

"We have got to stop sending jobs overseas. It's pretty simple: If you're paying $12, $13, $14 an hour for factory workers and you can move your factory South of the border, pay a dollar an hour for labor,...have no health care—that's the most expensive single element in making a car— have no environmental controls, no pollution controls and no retirement, and you don't care about anything but making money, there will be a giant sucking sound going south.
...when [Mexico's] jobs come up from a dollar an hour to six dollars an hour, and ours go down to six dollars an hour, and then it's leveled again. But in the meantime, you've wrecked the country with these kinds of deals."
Ross Perot, 1992.
Matt 24:36-41
Old 05-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #57
dude

What is happening now, is what we ask for 30 years. Government regs , union labor costs ,has made us subject to foreign made junk .Ross had it right , but we wouldn't listen .Happy Days !!!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #58
Diavolo

Obviously the part is made in Tiawan. The STICKER is made in USA
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #59
Joe777

I've had similar disappointing experiences with MAC's and now only use them as a last resort. Seems that if they don't have what you actually ordered, they send whatever they have on hand that is "close enough" and hope you make it work. Very disappointing.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #60
B-O-B

johnh7 Good on ya for stepping up to the plate. Too damn many lemmings in this country just roll over & die or follow the leader over the edge. I write & make phone calls when something is not what it supposed to be or as advertised. These large companies realize what they are doing & figure people will go along. Not too many or should I say not enough whistle blowers in this world today. I better stop here for my own sake it really gets my blood pressure pumping & I don't care what day of the month or holiday it may be.
What gets me worse than anything is that they think they can deceive & get away with it.
Closed Thread