Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
COE Dan

Default Flathead with hesitation problem

Ford Barn,

I've got a stock '39 Ford Fordor Deluxe. I've begun to encounter a hesitation/stall issue.

Part 1: When I make a tight turn (in a cul-de-sac or parking lot) and then accelerate out of the turn, the car hesitates/bucks. The engine doesn't quit and if I take out the clutch and rev the engine, the hesitation stops and I can accelerate with no issues.

Part 2: When I decelerate to a stop, about 1 second after the car comes to a complete stop, the rpms drop very low, almost stalls, then recovers.

All other driving profiles, the car runs fine. No hesitations in straight line acceleration or shallow turns, no hesitation/stall starting after a stop where Part 2 occurs.

I run a Ford 94 carb (with a 1/4 inch insulating spacer underneath), use ethanol-free gasoline. Distributor/timing is stock. Fuel tank is clean and free from goo. I'm running 500-700 rpm at idle.

Operating temps are almost always 75-90 here year round in Hawaii so no climatic difference has been noted.

I checked the idle mixture as I thought it was running too rich. Leaning out the mixture 1/4 turn only caused the car to stall out at a stop. Switching the mixture back to where it was keeps the engine running. I removed the gas cap to ensure I didn't have a vacuum develop in the tank.

The only suspect cause I can think of right now is possibly a sticking float. Any suggestions what to try and what it might be? Thanks.

COE Dan

I suspect a fuel issue
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Flathead with hesitation problem

Check your needle valve (use only a steel valve, not rubber tipped), and reset your float level.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Flathead with hesitation problem

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This is more commen on Stroms with the side hung float,not too often with a center hung one on a 94. Try as 38 suggested a steel needle and raise the float level by about 1/16"
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote