Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2021, 12:03 AM   #21
Model A Ron

Default Re: Seatbelt Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
I’ve read that belts are good for keeping you in if the door flies open in a turn.
I use seat belts every time I get in a car and to be honest I have only driven my Phaeton on country roads because I do not have seatbelts yet. In a Phaeton it looks like the doors could pop open with ease not to mention you have no top to keep you in.

I knew of a neighbor that drove a big F350 diesel pickup and he was killed just days before he retired. His truck went off the road, he was ejected.

Do what you want but to me seatbelts in a Model A are a requirement not an option.

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

I figure the risk is on par with riding a motorcycle..I dont wear belts riding.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #23
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
I figure the risk is on par with riding a motorcycle..I dont wear belts riding.
Now that a good point and I agree with you.....I don't ride a motorcycle but that choice is every man's right to decide and I support your decision to do so. For me I am not willing to accept that risk.

I dated a nurse years ago and she told me most organ donors came from motorcycle accidents.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #24
alexiskai

It's an odd position to say that, since you do one risky thing, you may as well also do a second risky thing. Unless I suppose there's a set number of hours you plan on being out on the freeway with no personal protective equipment and thus it doesn't matter what machine you're doing it with...

Bikers don't wear seat belts because the point of a belt is to keep you inside the metal structure that offers some degree of protection, as well as to keep you from being injured by that structure on your way out of it. On a bike, you're wrapped around the metal, so there would be no point in staying attached to it while it experiences a crash.

Maybe you should consider wearing a full-face helmet while driving your phaeton, if these activities are equivalent.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #25
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
It's an odd position to say that, since you do one risky thing, you may as well also do a second risky thing. Unless I suppose there's a set number of hours you plan on being out on the freeway with no personal protective equipment and thus it doesn't matter what machine you're doing it with...

Bikers don't wear seat belts because the point of a belt is to keep you inside the metal structure that offers some degree of protection, as well as to keep you from being injured by that structure on your way out of it. On a bike, you're wrapped around the metal, so there would be no point in staying attached to it while it experiences a crash.

Maybe you should consider wearing a full-face helmet while driving your phaeton, if these activities are equivalent.

I do not think they are equivalent as with a bike having a belt would cause more harm than good. With a Model a belts offer more good than harm.

Regardless I do not ride a bike because of the risk and with my Model A I am going to me mediating the risk with seatbelts.

Ron