Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
tommyleea

Default Timing Light

Would I be able to use an inductive style timing light on my Model T to check for fire to the plug? I am asking, before I try it, so I don't damage anything. Thanks..1923 Model T..Stock
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Timing Light

Thanks J Franklin for call attention to the bit I missed about checking for fire at the plugs. In that case just use a screwdriver. LOL me bad.

Last edited by redmodelt; 11-06-2020 at 01:07 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
J Franklin

If you need to know if the plugs are gettin "fire" just take the lead off and hold it about a half inch from the plug while the engine is running.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you need to know if the plugs are gettin "fire" just take the lead off and hold it about a half inch from the plug while the engine is running.
Yes, but, would a timing light work? Would it hurt anything? Thanks..
Also, with the coils buzzing, and cover off the coil box, should all four coils be sparking, or are they sequential? I only see one of them sparking. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
jetmek

I would think a timing lite would work. Need 12v to pwer it tho. They can be used with MSD ignitions As for sparking points, it may be a symptom of a bad condensor
Old 11-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #6
redmodelt

Each coil fire in it turn; 1243, not all at the same time. If just one is firing when you turn the key on just means the contact in the timer is inline with the rotor/brush.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Each coil fire in it turn; 1243. If just one is firing when you turn the key on just means the contact in the timer is inline with the rotor/brush.
That is why in good condition you can usually get what is called a free start, no cranking needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tfordy.jpg (77.0 KB, 14 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
rotorwrench

An inductive timing light will indicate when a high tension voltage is flowing in a plug wire if you want to check it but it may not give you the information you need. A high tension voltage has to have a ground path for it to flow. A bad spark plug may not provide a good ground path. A test with a good spark plug grounded to the head or with the high tension lead held with a gap to a ground source will confirm if the coil for that cylinder is doing its job. Take the plugs out and turn it by hand to test. This way it won't try to start on you. Once the timer reaches one of the terminals then the coil connected to that terminal will buzz and generate a high tension flow. It's not just one spark either. It will just keep sparking till the timer rolls off the terminal as long as the ignition is on battery.

High voltage release can bite you but only if you make yourself a ground path. If you insulate yourself far enough away from the high voltage terminal then it can't jump the gap to you.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #9
6volt

Try going to Tractor Supply. Get an electric fence tester. It's even got 5 lights to measure the amount of "HOT" getting to each plug.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005
6volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
tommyleea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
An inductive timing light will indicate when a high tension voltage is flowing in a plug wire if you want to check it but it may not give you the information you need. A high tension voltage has to have a ground path for it to flow. A bad spark plug may not provide a good ground path. A test with a good spark plug grounded to the head or with the high tension lead held with a gap to a ground source will confirm if the coil for that cylinder is doing its job. Take the plugs out and turn it by hand to test. This way it won't try to start on you. Once the timer reaches one of the terminals then the coil connected to that terminal will buzz and generate a high tension flow. It's not just one spark either. It will just keep sparking till the timer rolls off the terminal as long as the ignition is on battery.

High voltage release can bite you but only if you make yourself a ground path. If you insulate yourself far enough away from the high voltage terminal then it can't jump the gap to you.
Ok..Thanks, I didn't need the timing light. I pulled all four plugs, connected the leads, laid them on the head for a ground, and then cranked the engine over by hand. I could then hear the coils buzz, and check each plug for fire. Model T is an amazing machine.