Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
zippi

Default *37 Pickup Repaint Needed*

Recently purchased a 1937 pickup street rod and the truck is mechanically sound. Engine bay all chrome, all new flow master exhaust, etc. The paint job looks good from 10' away but....once you get close it looks like whoever painted the truck did a poor sanding job and doesn't look like there is enough paint on the truck. I've tried polishes and wax but nothing is going to help this paint. My question is, If I take my pickup to a paint shop and have them prep the body, tape it up, and respray it the same color without taking it apart what am I looking at on price? Just looking for a ball part figure. I'm not looking for a show room paint job just a nice paint job. Thanks guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg (54.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01516.jpg (57.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01515.jpg (60.8 KB, 93 views)
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: *37 Pickup Repaint Needed*

Do you really think that a painting professional is going to do what you want for a price given to you by someone else.
Take your "street rod" to the professional of your choice to get a price.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
rockfla

Zippi
Your asking a question for which there is no good answer, SO many variables from quality of paint products, supplies, labor rates and time of individual's assessment on your expectations just to mention a few!!! My suggestion to you IS to be very specific about what you want when you go for an estimate at any shop and get detailed information about how they are exactly going to perform what you want to "Hopefully" eliminate" any surprises.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
37 Cab

I would not even attempt to repaint without disassembling. To paint it assembled is going to leave a lot of areas unpainted and will make a proper paint job twice the work to redo it right.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
34 GAZ

Maybe the last owner did a cheap respray as well. Who knows whats under the green ? Looks good from here though. I would be driving that and worrying about painting in about November.
34 GAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Capt Kirk

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Earl Scheib....$49.95
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Earl Scheib....$49.95
mostly all gone after Earl died and he company went belly up. I hear there are are few franchisees that remained open. recent pricing as more like $149, an dyou got what you paid for.

Maaco could probably do what you are asking for under $1000

Chances are 50/50 you would be satisfied with it.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Earl Scheib....$49.95
As a kid I remember they'd paint right over the tires and a young guy with a can of tire black and a brush would do a pretty neat job of cutting in against the wheel. I still think of my old schwinn stingray every time I see this '37. Best of luck with your new paint job.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
zippi

Boy....I got pretty beat up on that one. Going to drive it this summer and do something with it this fall. Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
rockfla

Zippi
IMO, start saving your money now, go find you a painter "you" feel is trustworthy and you have others who have used him. Then, pull your fenders, hood, grill shell, tail gate, etc etc and have it painted correctly. You'll be money ahead and better to spend more than you should of than less than you could of!!!!! AND be prepared for rust and metal repair, an old auto restorer always told me "Everyone's car is better than reality!"
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
Boy....I got pretty beat up on that one. Going to drive it this summer and do something with it this fall. Thanks for the comments.
Its the type of question that has no good answer. Like trying to shop for a really nice but cheap engagement ring on the Internet. Some things are best done in person, with a knowledgeable supplier, and realistic expectations of quality received for price paid.

Absolutely drive the heck out of it and be the envy of those of us who are still trying to get ours on the road! If you run into any critics at car shows just ask them "which car is yours?" ... chances are you will hear a buttload of excuses.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, at a shop the cost is going to be in the thousands, that's a pretty safe bet. If it was me I would attempt to find someone who paints on the side AND has a good reputation for quality work. Big factor is going to be what is under the current paint! Hard to believe they would have done a top notch prep job and then just botched the paint job. One would assume the same (or less) effort went into the prep work as did the final paint coat.

Last edited by JSeery; 03-07-2017 at 01:40 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Its the type of question that has no good answer. Like trying to shop for a really nice but cheap engagement ring on the Internet. Some things are best done in person, with a knowledgeable supplier, and realistic expectations of quality received for price paid.

Absolutely drive the heck out of it and be the envy of those of us who are still trying to get ours on the road! If you run into any critics at car shows just ask them "which car is yours?" ... chances are you will hear a buttload of excuses.
LMAO...."which car is yours?" I'll use that. I'll be asking some of the guys in the local clubs about who paints on the side.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #14
Dave D

No reputable shop is going to paint "over" a paint job in that poor shape. And you will find a "cheap" paint job will cost you more in the long run.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #15
FHFD

You might consider putting in your location. Possibly someone on here lives close, and has the ability to do it.

As stated, proper painting will require disassembly, and proper prep (both time consuming, time equals dollars)..emphasis on proper prep.
Good luck.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
Tinker

Paint and supplies are not cheap either. You'll end up with just $600-1000+ in paint and materials. That green doesn't look like a cheap color.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Paint and supplies are not cheap either. You'll end up with just $600-1000+ in paint and materials. That green doesn't look like a cheap color.
The pickup looks good from 10'. The green paint looks good from far but far from good. You can see what looks like white sand marks all over the body under the paint. Looks like poor preparation and not enough paint. You can't feel it but you can sure see it.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
mike42

Capt. Kirk.......where do you get $49.95 . In my day it was ...." I'll paint any car...any color for $29.95". If you just wanted a standard.... black.....$19.95 !!!!!!!! LOL
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #19
barnfind

Nice looking now but I probably would paint the fenders black and invest in stock looking Coker tires and wheels to make it less "street roddy" looking.
Not as much $$ in labor or paint - if that look makes you happier.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #20
cmbrucew

Zippi
You have a nice little truck. If it runs good and handles nice drive it. You do not have to have a great paint job on a perfect body. Drive it this way for a few years and enjoy it. A rock chip or a dent or a scrape will not ruin your whole day.

Bruce