Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
cuzncletus

Default Re: 1950 F1 needs new IFS

If you're leaving a flathead in your pickup, then putting an IFS under it is just plain WRONG! Flatheads are nostalgic; IFS isn't. It's that simple. I don't know if anyone makes or drops F-1 axles, but that would seem to be the way to go. Disc brake conversions are certainly plentiful enough.

If you're not leaving the flathead in, then it's an open field. The next thing that's just plain wrong is clipping the truck. Remember, sooner or later you're probably going to want to sell the thing, no matter how much you love it now. Nothing is uglier or more often done wrong than a front end clip. That trend died 20 years ago, for a good reason....and good riddance.

Right up the road from you is a man who's on his second F-1 street rod. He's an experienced fabricator, having built more than a few first rate cars. He's in the process of putting a Fatman under the second F-1 because Fatman's kits fit. With the tubular A-arms, they also make a clean looking installation opposed to clunky factor components in a Detroit factory front end. If the crossmember isn't installed correctly you'll never get the caster correct and the truck will steer.......well, worse than a truck. Fatman kits are almost foolproof, though we all know there's a world of very creative fools out there. The other positive thing about a Fatman kit (or any good one versus a clip) is that the conversion is reversable. You can save all your front end pieces, make a couple of cuts to get the Fatman conversion out, then re-install the original axle.

By the way, the first IFS conversion rides well and steers great. The other good thing is I get to scavenge all his discarded front end stuff for things like brakes and steering boxes, not to mention engines and transmissions.
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Mart

Guys - probably not worth wasting keyboard time - the OP has not replied after his initial post.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Guys - probably not worth wasting keyboard time - the OP has not replied after his initial post.

Mart.

It is still good to vent. He might be reading them and is afraid to say he is clipping a 68 Camero right now.

There is a guy in the neighboring town that has been trying to sell a 39 Ford Standard Coupe for about a year. It has some kind of GM clip. I called him and asked about the car. The seller mentioned all the good stuff and then mentioned the clip after I asked If it had a dropped axle. I lost interest real fast.

He could be a HAMBer and is laughing at the up rising he started. You have to watch those people that visit the HAMB site.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 08-28-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added- It could be a HAMBer
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
jack orchard

[QUOTE=sturgis 39;488108.
There is a guy in the neighboring town that has been trying to sell a 39 Ford Standard Coupe for about a year. It has some kind of GM clip. I called him and asked about the car. The seller mentioned all the good stuff and then mentioned the clip after I asked If it had a dropped axle. I lost interest real fast.[/QUOTE]

It might be the deal of the century. Make a lowball offer and then change it to what you want it to be. Good luck...jack
Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack orchard View Post
It might be the deal of the century. Make a lowball offer and then change it to what you want it to be. Good luck...jack

Back in the eighties two friends clipped their cars. One was a painter and one was a steel stud and dry wall contractor. I thought about it and they bragged about their clips. One car was a 40 Ford coupe and the other was a 41 Ford two door. They would make fun about my straight axle. After they converted the front ends , they did not drive them much. I think the geometry was wrong.

They both went back to the original suspension in the last five years and spent a ton of money.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
joe plumber

Smile Re: 1950 F1 needs new IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
If I wanted to drive a Mustang two, I would buy one. These conversions come and go. Corvair was the the cool thing at one time. I stay away from trendy things. A straight axle will never go out of style. Most people regret they did the conversion and most of them create some other problem. You can usually walk through a show and shine and spot the mustang conversions from the side of car without looking under the car.

I love the way the old Fords handle and the ride. Most conversions are done because the owner has some kind of ego problem, read to much advertising, wants to impress his buddies (that bad mouth the straight axle)or like a friend said the other day he is non functional.

They sell a lot of kits because of advertising and marketing. Hardwood floors are a good example. People could not wait to get wall to wall carpeting. Now those fake hardwood floors are the trendy thing to have. They are cold and alot of work to keep clean. Then the wife wants area rugs because the floors are cold. Now you have to mop and vacuum.

Stay with the straight axle.
I don't have some kind of ego problem ,didn't read too much advertising ,don't want to impress my buddies or anyone else .I put the IFS under my truck because it's what I wanted to do .It rides and handles perfect .Also took the 6 cylinder out and put in a flathead ,cause I wanted to ..Changed it to 12 volts also ,cause ,well you get the idea .It depends on what you want to do .By the way ,we got hardwood floors also .JMHO.Would be one hell of a boring world if we all done and liked the samething .By the way ,I'm not pissed .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I don't have some kind of ego problem ,didn't read too much advertising ,don't want to impress my buddies or anyone else .I put the IFS under my truck because it's what I wanted to do .It rides and handles perfect .Also took the 6 cylinder out and put in a flathead ,cause I wanted to ..Changed it to 12 volts also ,cause ,well you get the idea .It depends on what you want to do .By the way ,we got hardwood floors also .JMHO.Would be one hell of a boring world if we all done and liked the samething .By the way ,I'm not pissed .

I am glad you are not mad. I think I struck a nerve though.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
joe plumber

I do agree if it can't be fixed with blasting wire ,jb weld or duct tape ,it can't be fixed .
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
ford1

i will add a little info here, some one earlier said the mustang 2 was used in the ointo first( do you want a pinto front suspension) what he didnt add is the ones sold are not pinto or mustang 2 suspensions, maybe he doesnt know that, they are mustang type suspensions, made specially for your car, looks like them but are so far from the originals its laughable to think they are, stronger spindles, disk brakes, shocks tie rods and every thing else, its just the name that is the same (mustang 2 front suspension)
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G/Spanaway View Post
Kinda funny....those front ends the rodders call "Mustang ll" were put under Pintos first.
You want a Pinto front end under your PU?
Nyet!
I have gone the mustang fat man route once but not again. The ride and handling was not much better than a rebuilt stock I-beam. But the fat man cross member is hardly comparable to the pinto tin member as the fat man is made from 5/16Th steel.
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
sturgis 39

I am going to buy a Shay Replica Model "A". They come with pinto steering already installed. They also have an over head valve engine and maybe an automatic transmission. I will be the envy of everybody at the next show and shine.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #32
jack orchard

Quote:
i am going to buy a shay replica model "a". They come with pinto steering already installed. They also have an over head valve engine and maybe an automatic transmission. I will be the envy of everybody at the next show and shine.
ok.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
joe plumber

Quote:
I am going to buy a Shay Replica Model "A". They come with pinto steering already installed. They also have an over head valve engine and maybe an automatic transmission. I will be the envy of everybody at the next show and shine.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #34
Opie

I had to replace my front springs in my 48 F1 anyways, so I put Posie Super Slide springs up front with a disk brake conversion. Left the rear stock. It drives like a dream and sits just right.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #35
4t8v8

Quote:
$2795 plus shipping? Not so. Try $1795 w/free shipping...jack
. Sorry. I stand corrected. So gabdog can spend $1795 and be on the road in no time. Well, maybe a small installation fee, but who's counting. Why not buy a Mustang II, cut the back off and put an F1 bed on it? All problems solved.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #36
Tim Armstrong

Its obvious the stock axle lovers have never driven a mustang !!, they work great in a modified car or truck. If you are going stock then stay stock.
Tim Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
sturgis 39

Gabdog still has not replied to all of the suggestions. He might have given up on the Camero front clip and now is looking for an s-10 frame. He could be driving a Mustang too. He could be looking at a dual master cylinder for brakes.

I still think he is a HAMBer.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 08-28-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
Chisel

Gabdog don't forget to put in the ugly GM tilt steering column with the tiny steering wheel. That really sets the truck off!!!
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #39
blucar

Quote:
A 39 Plymouth and 49 Olds are disposable cars. They have not been cut up like old Fords. Old Fords need to be preserved more than the Horned Owl. Plymouths, Dodges and Chevys. I would even stick an s-10 frame under one of those puppies and I hate s-10s conversions more than mustang toos.
The above statement has all the markings of a person who has a closed mind to a couple of vehicles that are icons of engineering and success in sales and performance...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #40
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
The above statement has all the markings of a person who has a closed mind to a couple of vehicles that are icons of engineering and success in sales and performance...
Blucar

They are both good cars. I think 49 Olds had the fist Old's v/8 and they were a highly sought after engine. The Plymouth had some kind of automatic transmission that was one of the first ones. I think I am right or at least close. My friends in high school had both cars. The Ford and Chevy battle did not exist back in high school. We all appreciated everybody's car and we worked on each others car. Now you hear, "He is a Ford guy" or "He is a Chevy Guy". We never classified people in high school. We were not prejudice and we appreciated a persons talent. Those were the good days.

I would not put an s-10 or Mustang front end on either of your cars, if they were mine. They are to precious. If you are happy, that is the main thing.