Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
History

Default 600w leaking out of steering box

The box was empty when I added the 600w and was leaking through the light switch the next time I looked at it. I just ordered a new wiring harness for the headlights, horn, tail/brake, cowl and would like to fix the leak before I install it. I read a thread on here about the end plate with tube that goes back up through the box above the 600w.

I've read about the John Deere corn head grease that won't leak because it's more solid.

A Few questions,,,,,,, if I order the end plate tube and gaskets for it do I also need the part that attaches the light switch that goes on the end of the tube? Or does my old spider work still??? Can I install that tube with the steering box and everything still in the car or do I have to take the box out??? I'm not doing a fine point restore. I want it mostly an original driver that works.

Which way would you guys go,,, end plate tube and 600w or corn head grease???
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: 600w leaking out of steering box

If its leaking a lot, the tube, but I would also use penrite, I haven't used
the corn head but thats supposed to work also.
My 2 cents
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

I was told to use that grease too, I went to a John Deere store and bought a tube twoweeks ago for $6
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

The tube is an easy install and you can use your existing light switch parts. You are just swapping out the end plate. I use Penrite as well but have heard good thing about Corn Head grease.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
WHN

Cornhead grease in both steering box and u-joint. Works great! Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

I've used John Deere Corn Head grease with good luck. I bought a separate grease gun to use it with, separate from my Mystic Red chassis lube grease.

I suppose the best way is to use the tube and stay w/ 600W if you can.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
if I order the end plate tube and gaskets for it do I also need the part that attaches the light switch that goes on the end of the tube? Or does my old spider work still??? Can I install that tube with the steering box and everything still in the car or do I have to take the box out?
I have the 7-tooth type, but what worked for me was to scrap the gasket and instead use RTV silicone gasket maker, keeping the 600W oil. This is a perfect application for a silicone gasket – low temperature, low pressure, similar metals, just needs to form a good seal. Might also use thread sealant on the sector thrust screw.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
History

( 2 tooth steering box here). I got the tube and also ordered a gasket set, not understanding a gasket came with the tube.

I took the light switch parts off, removed the spider c-clip, spider, spring. I then Removed the old end plate and old gasket and couldn't get the tube to slide up in the steering box. When I placed the order I spoke with someone at Snyders who told me that sometimes the tube won't go in, I can't remember what parts would be different, just that it doesn't always go in. Turns out there was a washer inside on the horn rod, I took that out and it slid right in.

The old plate had a rubber washer at the end that the rod went through and the spider spring sat against. I placed the new rubber gasket/washer in the same spot, between the spring and the end plate tube. Was this a mistake???? I put the 600w back in as I already had it.

Everything seemed to work and the leak seemed to be stopped until a few hours later, I noticed it is now leaking where the top outside nut that holds the pitman arm housing on. It seems to have a wedge or something else along those lines under the nut in its assembly . Is there a washer or gasket behind that nut? Will I take anything out of adjustment by removing it????

I hope I've described this where it can be understood. I'd appreciate any help or advice.

One more thing,,, new wiring harness and horn sounds so much better. Old harness was tattered and a fire hazard, pieced together here and there. Fire waiting to happen.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
( 2 tooth steering box here). I got the tube and also ordered a gasket set, not understanding a gasket came with the tube.

I took the light switch parts off, removed the spider c-clip, spider, spring. I then Removed the old end plate and old gasket and couldn't get the tube to slide up in the steering box. When I placed the order I spoke with someone at Snyders who told me that sometimes the tube won't go in, I can't remember what parts would be different, just that it doesn't always go in. Turns out there was a washer inside on the horn rod, I took that out and it slid right in.

The old plate had a rubber washer at the end that the rod went through and the spider spring sat against. I placed the new rubber gasket/washer in the same spot, between the spring and the end plate tube. Was this a mistake???? I put the 600w back in as I already had it.

Everything seemed to work and the leak seemed to be stopped until a few hours later, I noticed it is now leaking where the top outside nut that holds the pitman arm housing on. It seems to have a wedge or something else along those lines under the nut in its assembly . Is there a washer or gasket behind that nut? Will I take anything out of adjustment by removing it????

I hope I've described this where it can be understood. I'd appreciate any help or advice.
That washer is the old seal retainer. You did good as it is no longer needed with the tube.

Sometimes the sector shaft leaks also. You can install this kit to stop (or slow down, depending how worn the sector shaft bushing is worn). https://www.brattons.com/steering-sector-o-ring.html

Can you post a picture where it is leaking now?
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

PennRite steering box lube....................NO leakee.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
History

I will try and get a photo tomorrow.

Will the pennrite work for the universal as well? Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
duke36

Lot's of forum threads about 600 wt. the vendors sell which is equivalent to approx. modern SAE 140 , imho too thin. The corn head can liquify some and leak a little also with heat and settlement. The penrite is somehwere near 1200 wt. and very viscous. The cornhead also didn't work well for us in the universal and went back to std. grease.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #13
History

I got a photo but I need to resize it. I'll try and post it later. This page shows it to be the eccentric stud nut,,, http://modelabasics.com/twoTooth.htm. What do I need to do to stop a leak at that stud? I do remember tightening all of those nuts up thinking they were just cover nuts. I may have damaged a seal then.??
Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
37 Coupe

I guess I need to find the Pennrite lube somewhere locally I hope to try out. I wonder how it compares to the thickness of STP as I have used that successfully in a leaking box before ? I have used the John Deere corn head grease in my '37 Ford universal joint so is Pennrite about the same consistency?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
1931 flamingo

Heavier, won't leak. Available by mail thru Restoration Specialties, Escondido, CA, they have a website.
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #16
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Heavier, won't leak. Available by mail thru Restoration Specialties, Escondido, CA, they have a website.
Paul
Thank you. I will order a tube online. Just today I looked at a couple Auto Parts places locally and no one had a clue what I was talking about.Now I see Australian.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #17
updraught

Yes, Penrite is sold locally here. Can buy it at any local auto shop.
However, getting the John Deere corn grease here is tricky. Eventually I found the local dealer in a small tin shed. He had one domestic push type lawn mower for sale. When I looked at it he warned me that it has a solid blade and if you hit a rock it can bend the crankshaft. Put me off a bit.
After crossing three state borders I found a place I could buy one tube instead of a case of them.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote