Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #61
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: facebook

Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission. This opens your computer up to additional virus threats and will slow your computer down. You have to be fairly technically saavy to figure this out, but if you get onto an older, slower computer, and look at the command line ( the very bottom-most left corner of the screen) when FB is loading, you will see a call to a company called akamaihd (in Massachusetts) via this domain:
akamaihd.net
This is the company doing the peer-to-peer networking for FB. Peer-to-peer means trafficking content around across the internet from individual computer to individual computer, instead of paying for a main server somewhere to traffic content all over the place. Limewire would be another example of a peer-to-peer network but they tell you that up front
I personally think this is very sneaky business, and I for one do not want anyone using my computer but me.

If you doubt me, just get on via a family member's older slower computer and you will see it for yourself. A fast computer with a fast connection will load everything so quickly you cannot see this happening (which they are counting on).
One night a yr ago for some reason my connection slowed to a crawl and I spotted this call, and I wondered what the tom hill was going on. Once I figured it out (and confirmed it with a webmaster from another forum I am on), I dropped FB forever.

Let the user beware.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #62
dumb person

Good warning Tbird. Who uses facebook anyway? Not i. No use for it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #63
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission.
This is the future of networking. Soon any piece of computer equipment attached to the WWW will be doing the same. Your computers, phones, cars, even your refrigerator, will act like a hub. It is faster and cheaper way to connect.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #64
Mike in NRN IN

The beauty of any website - freedom to choose whether to use it or not. Informed decisions and risk assessments need to be done by each individual.

Personally, I find that there are distinct benefits to Facebook, Twitter, discussion forums (Fordbarn) and plain old paper documents (actual bound pages in a book.)

The internet (specifically Social Media) is now the new VOODOO!

Quote:
The religious belief that a photograph can steal a soul

The religious belief that a photograph can steal a soul, imprisoning it within its amalgam of polyester, celluloid, salts and gelatin (or perhaps a CCD if you are into digital photography) is still shared by many cultures across the globe. From Native Americans to the Aborigines of Australia, there are those who refuse to be photographed.
- http://parabolicevidence.com/occult/...-steal-a-soul/

I was curious about the akamaihd.net service and found the following.

So, What is akamaihd.net?

Akamai Technologies is actually a CDN, where CDN stands for Content Delivery Network. This answers almost everything if you know how CDN works. We’ll talk about CDN in this post, but first lets check out a fun fact about Akamai.

Akamai is pronounced as Acme. Does it sound familiar to you? Acme was a fictional corporation in Roadrunner Cartoons. It used to provide several products which would fail at the worst times.

What is a CDN ?

A CDN (content delivery network) will receive your data and place it on several different servers all over the world. This makes that particular content to load faster for anyone who wants to access it. This is because the content will be delivered to the end user from the nearest possible server holding the content.
Without CDN, the content will reside only on one server. And thus the users who are close to the server can access the content faster than the users who are away from it.

For example, If my content is located on a server in India. Then users in Asia will have better latency (less time delay) compared to users from America, Europe or Australia.
Why facebook photos are uploaded to Akamaihd.net ?

Akamai has several CDN networks, where akamaihd.net is one of the CDN. Facebook is a large network and it has to deliver data at faster speeds to each and every user. And to do so, it requires a CDN.

Facebook uses akamaihd.net as CDN. This is why your photos are uploaded to akamaihd and not to facebook. So whenever you request to view a photo on facebook, your request is actually sent to the nearest possible akamaihd server. This server returns the requested photo. And since its the nearest possible server, you will get the requested photo with a minimum time delay.
Mike in NRN IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
Jim/GA

You are correct, Mike. I do not fear akamai.

Akamai also offers a peer-to-peer file distribution service, the one tbird refers to. Facebook does NOT use it.

Many of your popular online games DO use it to speed up distribution of the game files out to the players. Before they use your computer to help distribute game files, you must click on a box to agree. But Facebook does not use this service.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #66
jcheshire31

"My kids are into it big time." -Karl

That is one of the main reasons they created a page on Facebook, so they can get word about our hobby to the kids.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #67
Roadster62

Question for you Facebook junkies: The other day I recieved a "See my Photos" offer from some unknown email address and hit deleat instantly. Is that a normal intro to the site or are the Nigerians trying get into my computer and bank account?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #68
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Question for you Facebook junkies: The other day I recieved a "See my Photos" offer from some unknown email address and hit deleat instantly. Is that a normal intro to the site or are the Nigerians trying get into my computer and bank account?
Sounds like another spam/scam attempt...
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #69
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Not sure I see the connection to Facebook?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #70
spdway1

I'd rather use Face Book than use a Credit Card at Target, they are now having problems with gift cards that were purchased and do not work...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (14.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg facebook-security.jpg (66.6 KB, 2 views)
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #71
ctvpa

[QUOTE=tbirdtbird;765513]Play with Facebook all you want.

But be aware that FB uses YOUR computer as part of a peer-to-peer network to promote THEIR content without your knowledge or permission. This opens your computer up to additional virus threats and will slow your computer down. You have to be fairly technically saavy to figure this out, but if you get onto an older, slower computer, and look at the command line ( the very bottom-most left corner of the screen) when FB is loading, you will see a call to a company called akamaihd (in Massachusetts) via this domain:"

I am MUCH LESS worried about Facebook, than I am the NSA and the government keeping a file of every email and phones call we all make.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/justic...ing/index.html
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote