Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2018, 02:48 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: putting gasoline in your Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Katy,
You live in Canada and don't have a snow funnel? It is a big mouth funnel with 2 fine screens in the throat to catch the snow while you are gassing up out side. Water is separated from the gas. They were commercially made
My red plastic gas containers with the yellow spouts all had a brass screen that would block water, but pass gas, until the ethanol crap gas ate up the brass.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #22
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Katy,
You live in Canada and don't have a snow funnel? It is a big mouth funnel with 2 fine screens in the throat to catch the snow while you are gassing up out side. Water is separated from the gas. They were commercially made
I use a tractor funnel w/the water seperator screen.
https://www.peaveymart.com/Extra-Tal...8-QT-P529.aspx
Old 10-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
I use a tractor funnel w/the water seperator screen.
https://www.peaveymart.com/Extra-Tal...8-QT-P529.aspx
How do you judge when the A's tank is getting full, so you do not overfill the tank and spill gas?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 PM   #24
Kurt in NJ

In NJ it's no problem-- pull in, say fill it, or $ amount and you don't even have to get out of the car--- and it costs less than the other states --- after all self serve costs more, due to higher insurance, equipment maintenance
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

That's interesting, did not even know some states had not converted to self serve. I always thought self serve was cheaper. The only station here in my town that fills your tank for you charges more.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #26
Simonpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
I use the same u shaped price as well can be made out of a cutting board.

A lot of times the gas station will have the u shaped plate to hold the spring nozzle back. They use it on motorcycles, which almost never have enough depth to compress the snorkel.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 AM   #27
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
That's interesting, did not even know some states had not converted to self serve. I always thought self serve was cheaper. The only station here in my town that fills your tank for you charges more.
In Oregon, it is against the law to pump your own gas. I'm use to Washington, where most places you pump your own gas, unless there is a full service (very rare) station available. So when I'm traveling in Oregon, the attendant usually has to take the nozzle away from me, to do his/her job. But they are usually at the door before you shut off the engine.

Last edited by fordcragar; 11-01-2018 at 12:58 AM.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #28
woofa.express

Y Blockhead (post 6 ) is correct.

Please let me contribute here.

Static electricity. I know of a helicopter refuelling fire when the hose was passed across the bubble. Two blokes badly burned, helicopter destroyed.
A second in 1979. Refuelling from drums to bulk truck tank. again in passing fuel hose. 92 drums exploded and one went through the back wall of an adjacent hangar. Aeroplanes pulled out. Very fortunately a local volunteer fireman was a part owner and had a key to open up. Don't park aeroplanes in hanger with breaks on, you could possibly loose them.
Proper aeroplane fuel delivery hoses have a fine copper wire running the length and earthed at both ends. Plus a wire and clip from nozzle to attach to aeroplane, Plus an earth wire earthed to attach to aeroplane. I reckon it's okay to skip this one provided you are satisfied the fuel hose is approved, or earthed.
Ensure the nozzle / earth is attached prior to opening fuel cap. If no earth wire ensure the nozzle handle touches aeroplane prior to opening the cap and ensure the nozzle is touching fuel tank whilst fuel is flowing.
I had an incident once where static formed when a camloc fitting in the delivery was synthetic thus insulated. Fortunately I felt electricity through my body. Used jumper leads for the remainder of day to earth drum to aeroplane. I also saw pictures of a auto fuel station destroyed when a bloke held his plastic containers off the ground and filled them with fuel.

It's easy to avoid but consequences can be severe if you don't.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #29
Clem Clement

During my flying days I and my crew were assigned to a static display at an air show in. We flew m parked and set up. An F105 arrived and shot some practice landings. Alter the sow he found out that the base did not have his kind of fuel (JP-4). We were asked to do ground refueling. The base wanted to just attach the drogue to the fighter and pump gas!!
Not gonna happen. I had the base confirm the tie downs near by were in fact grounded(some were no). The we grounded each airplane to a ground spot and the two aircraft together. Then we unreeled the hose and hand plugged the drogue into the fighters' receptacle. I still don't have a beer for saving the fighter jock from a dumb-chit award.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #30
pbishop

After 20 years of operation, I had the same problem develop - keeping the gas flowing from the gas pump handle into the tank. I guess I could have bought a new screen as that clearly was the problem, but my grandpa owned several T's and A's and told me about several ways to deal with problems on those cars (it was 'always' a way that they 'saved money' back in those days). FIRST, remove the screen and try soaking it in a carb cleaning solution and then scrubbing and more cleaning.

(An old trick) - I eventually took the gas tank filler screen out and drilled a round pattern of multiple rows of 1/16 holes in it starting half way up from the bottom and working up. Solved the problem. Now I can set the pump handle on the slowest setting and leave it until it shuts off. The hole size and distance was just my 'best guess' equation.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #31
katy

Quote:
(An old trick) - I eventually took the gas tank filler screen out and drilled a round pattern of multiple rows of 1/16 holes in it starting half way up from the bottom and working up. Solved the problem. Now I can set the pump handle on the slowest setting and leave it until it shuts off. The hole size and distance was just my 'best guess' equation.
I would suspect that you're defeating the purpose of the flame arrestor by drilling those holes.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #32
GPierce

Why don’t modern cars have spark arrestors?
Maybe the fuel hoses weren’t grounded as they are today.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #33
DHZIEMAN

Never had a problem here locally filling the tank with fuel. Not sure the difference on filling. My tank has the spark arrestor!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:40 AM   #34
fredski53

I just use a 5 gallon can and then the Tera Pump! Works great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4902.jpg (13.6 KB, 24 views)
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:48 AM   #35
fordcragar

I've read several posts, where someone is putting their gas into a can, then pouring it into the car; which if you are on the road and away from home doesn't seem like the way that I'd like to go. I know everyone uses their cars differently, but I tend to drive mine a lot. This is why I started this thread, to see what others are doing to fill their cars at a gas station. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes, that isn't what I was trying to do.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #36
fredski53

I guess the problem is that different states have different regulations on gas nozzles! Here in Indiana, you just stick the nozzle in and pump your gas! It not rocket science!
fredski53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredski53 View Post
I guess the problem is that different states have different regulations on gas nozzles! Here in Indiana, you just stick the nozzle in and pump your gas! It not rocket science!
That's what I do. Just stick the nozzle about an inch in, then pull the handle for low flow, and it does fine with the original screen in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #38
katy

Quote:
How do you judge when the A's tank is getting full, so you do not overfill the tank and spill gas?
Guessimate it.