Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Under 1,000

After more than 20 years of monitoring Model A Forums, and witnessing so many seniors riding off into the sunset, (it might be just me), but seems lots of questions are being professionally and correctly "answered" as of late by members who have written on this Forum less than 1,000 times.

Whether they are young, middle aged, or seniors, it appears so refreshing to see new "posting" guys taking a devout interest in this hobby and contributing information to kindly assist others.

It is good to remind ourselves from time to time, that some here are only "un-informed" with primitive Model A mechanics, and that "none" of us were born holding a Model A distributor in one hand, a Zenith carburetor in the other, and that pages from Les Andrews Book were never used for our diapers.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-16-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Under 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
After more than 20 years of monitoring Model A Forums, and witnessing so many seniors riding off into the sunset, (it might be just me),
It's just you....Bill has been here since Christ was a corporal, on KP duty at the Last Supper!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
TerryH

H.L. Very well said, and refreshing for you to note that despite the unpleasantries recently, with a few speaking out harshly, there are many more newbies and underlings stepping up to offer help and advice, along with a sound base of experienced Model A'ers that are always patiently helping with so many Model A maladies.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
captndan

My only regret is not having joined this forum sooner. Now I'm just an old fart too with fewer posts. Thanks to all.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
wrndln

I have noticed that a fair number of quite knowledgeable people that use to post on a regular basis no longer post much now, if at all. I could name a number of them, but prefer not to. Some of the knowledgeable people have passed away like Dave Lopes, Steve Ciccalone, as well as some others, but I think, many have just decided not to post because some people harassed them (maybe harassed is a little strong but questioned them about posts they made over time). Maybe the "new" rules or board policing might help, but I doubt the people that have left the barn will return.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have noticed that a fair number of quite knowledgeable people that use to post on a regular basis no longer post much now, if at all. I could name a number of them, but prefer not to. Some of the knowledgeable people have passed away like Dave Lopes, Steve Ciccalone, as well as some others, but I think, many have just decided not to post because some people harassed them (maybe harassed is a little strong but questioned them about posts they made over time). Maybe the "new" rules or board policing might help, but I doubt the people that have left the barn will return.
Rusty Nelson
Or its the same questions asked over and over and they get tired of answering.

Or people dont want to hear to fix the issue you need to go through the entire brake system (how many poor brake questions do we have and the only way to fix it is to literally start at the drums and work your way inside up thru the rods to the pedal), or pull the transmission out, or engine, or rearend - people want to be able to add a spring or add magic in a bottle, or adjust one bolt to fix everything to fix thier problems and occasionally doubt or dont listen to the "been there done that" crowd so they stop posting...
Old 01-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

It makes me feel "useful" when I can share info that I've "accidentally" lurned, over the years.
OLD Bill W.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
JDupuis

As an "Under 1,000er" I have peered through the barn door so to speak for a few years before deciding to gain membership here. January 1 2017 was my sign up day. I joined the barn mainly to see the "pictures" of posted problems. As a "lurker" I was not privy to these informative insights of what many were talking about. I did witness instances of fellow members pounced on for their questions, and reponses. This has me always concerned and "hesitant" to post; as my knowledge of Model A's is still limited at times.
I do drive my cars, and have managed to clock @20,000 miles on my cars. These have not always been trouble free adventures by any means. Thankfully I 've never had to be trailered home, roadside repairs have been necessary though.
I follow on this sight for simular problems I've incurred, to see the different fixes, and improve my knowledge. I hope some of my knowledge may be of service to others, as your knowledge has certainly helped me.
Please keep this in mind...
ONCE YOUR BRAIN HAS BEEN EXPANDED WITH KNOWLEDGE..IT CANNOT GO BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL SIZE... Jeff
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
It makes me feel "useful" when I can share info that I've "accidentally" lurned, over the years.
OLD Bill W.

The best advice is from members who have "been there, done that, and busted knuckles doing it" and know how to do it with a touch of humour , keep being "Bill Useful" [emoji106]

Saving iron from the scrap pile one piece at a time
Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
larrys40

H.L..... well said.... we all have the ability to learn new things at any age..... I'm at the younger end of the spectrum but at 56 can remember when I attended my first "A" meeting at 18 and was greeted by one of the old members that said " Son, this isn't for you, you need to go somewhere else"... my then new friend and forever Mentor Terry Oberer said, "just stick with me".. I did till he passed in 2012. I can't imagine not having stuck with this wonderful hobby and all the folks like you guys. Make it your goal in 2017 to bring in just 1 younger person into this hobby. If all did that we would double.. and then would have someone to pass along our knowledge and potentially purchase our cars and parts when we're ready. If we don't do that the value of our knowledge, cars, and parts is greatly diminished.

We all have a job to do... get a younger person involved this year!
Larry Shepard
Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

I ALWAYS adopt GROWN rescue Dogs. They CAN lurn NEW tricks! I also lurn tricks that they ALREADY know!!!---AND, it keeps my Old "BRAIN" busy--LOL
Bill W.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
Art Newland

A lot of "gear-head" knowledge can apply to the Model A as well as a lot of other equipment (even Delco Light Plants ) But I have to agree with SeaSlugs, nothing beats been-there, done-that. Of course as long as you "done-that" correctly.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
jax55

Well said HL. I too am an under 1000 poster, I post when I feel I can help from my own experience. I have posted for help and received it mostly without problems , but there have been times when I felt "spanked".
I will continue to add what I can and learn from other posts as I can.
This forum is the best I have found for model A info... perhaps it will get even better from here on out.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

One has to realize that on Model A Forums, when advice is requested, the very brave suggestions which are thought and written cannot be un-thought and/or un-written.

Many of us today greatly admire the under 1,000 few postings of a few who are brave enough to offer their thoughts and suggestions, no matter what!

On the other hand, at the very least, we should try to acknowledge that we have people from all over the World on this Model A Forum trying to sincerely and peacefully post unique experiences & try to help one another.

May we always have respect for the past Model A opinions of others.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #15
Hoogah

Quote:
One has to realize that on Model A Forums, when advice is requested, the very brave suggestions which are thought and written cannot be un-thought and/or un-written.

Many of us today greatly admire the under 1,000 few postings of a few who are brave enough to offer their thoughts and suggestions, no matter what!

On the other hand, at the very least, we should try to acknowledge that we have people from all over the World on this Model A Forum trying to sincerely and peacefully post unique experiences & try to help one another.

May we always have respect for the past Model A opinions of others.
I'm all for that. And let's have some FUN along the way! After all, that's why we got them in the first place, ne c'est pas?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 AM   #16
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax55 View Post
Well said HL. I too am an under 1000 poster, I post when I feel I can help from my own experience. I have posted for help and received it mostly without problems , but there have been times when I felt "spanked".
I will continue to add what I can and learn from other posts as I can.
This forum is the best I have found for model A info... perhaps it will get even better from here on out.
theres no problem getting a spanking, I've had my few on here but I try to find out why or wait patiently in the shadows for the correct answer. Or if I'm not sure sometimes I post my thought process along with my advice for someone to see where I may have derailed... As long as we learn when we do give false information I dont see a problem as that's how learning is done as long as your willing to accept that your idea may be wrong. Its also important to remember there is more than one way to skin a cat, what works for the guy who can lift 200 lbs with baseball mits for hands may not work for the guy with a bad back and missing a few fingers...
Old 01-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #17
Manager

Smile Re: Under 1,000

Who cares, don't you guys get it. Ryan's tried real hard to tell you.There has been enough of this shit. Post away about your Model A, forget the rest. And don't be so thin skinned if someone doesn't agree with you.Ask a question, get 20 replies and then sort the shit from the clay for yourself. Put your answer forward when you think you can help.Works great for me.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:26 AM   #18
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
Who cares, don't you guys get it. Ryan's tried real hard to tell you.There has been enough of this shit. Post away about your Model A, forget the rest. And don't be so thin skinned if someone doesn't agree with you.Ask a question, get 20 replies and then sort the shit from the clay for yourself. Put your answer forward when you think you can help.Works great for me.
It looks to me that you aren't getting it. It's not about sorting the good answers from the bad or feeling hurt when somebody doesn't agree with you. The real problems have been where certain members have sent inappropriate messages in private and maintained a continual negative campaign against a particular poster in public. If Ryan's latest move can do away with that weird, narcissistic behaviour and negativity it can only be good news for the FordBarn and 99% of the people who use it.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #19
mshmodela

Quote:
After more than 20 years of monitoring Model A Forums, and witnessing so many seniors riding off into the sunset, (it might be just me), but seems lots of questions are being professionally and correctly "answered" as of late by members who have written on this Forum less than 1,000 times.

Whether they are young, middle aged, or seniors, it appears so refreshing to see new "posting" guys taking a devout interest in this hobby and contributing information to kindly assist others.

It is good to remind ourselves from time to time, that some here are only "un-informed" with primitive Model A mechanics, and that "none" of us were born holding a Model A distributor in one hand, a Zenith carburetor in the other, and that pages from Les Andrews Book were never used for our diapers.
Very well said and thanks to all who have helped me, a new and very green model a owner (almost 3 years now).

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #20
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
The real problems have been where certain members have sent inappropriate messages in private and maintained a continual negative campaign against a particular poster in public. .

I prefer to let a sleeping dog lie but....you have my attention and curiosity.....was there some kind of conspiracy going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of? Being a member only one month, you seem to know why Ryan took the measures he did ........regarding PMs and a "maintained a continual negative campaign against a particular poster in public". Just curious....................

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Closed Thread