Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Wheeling machine availablity

Ryan, If this does fit your outline of the use of this forum, I will react to what ever your decision is without malice. I have become increasingly aware that there are many on this forum that have taken a keen interest in upgrading their skill levels to restore the bodies on their Model A's.

I posted this on the HAMB site, and felt like I had not posted this here on the Fordbarn site, yet. This is a 'copy and paste' of that detailed post.

This post is done for the purpose of letting those of who are or intend to be, serious metal shapers. The third and last (for awhile, anyway) shipment of the Peter Tommasini designed English wheels has become available. Peter advised me on Monday, that the last of the order for 40 castings is being prepared for importing to the US. Up to this point he has sold 14 here in the US, 6 in Europe and 10 in Australia. Of the 10 that are left, only 6 are being made available for this shipment to the US. These are the first cast iron English wheels to be imported into the US in over 42 years, and are of the FINEST quality and design. I already have orders for two of these machines.

These wheeling machines in this last shipment are available for $3300 less upper wheel and lower anvils. This lowers the shipping costs substantially. To acquire one, a deposit of $1700 is required to get on the shipping list. The balance of $1600 is due upon their arrival here in the US. The finest US made upper wheels and lower anvils are made by Joe Andrews at Hoosier Profiles. The specially designed upper wheel and lower anvils are available for $780. The fact that payment can be made in three segments has been a major selling point for these wheeling machines. I am NOT in the metal shaping machine selling business. A conversation between Peter and a friend of mine (Jimmy Matthews) that bought one, ended up with both of us volunteering to assist in the disbursement of the machines that arrive here in the US for those that also acquired one of these wheeling machines. They are shipped by ocean container to the US, shipped by train to North Carolina, and delivered by truck to here in Rock Hill, SC. where we disassemble the shipping container and make the individual wheeling machines available to those that purchased one.

If the buyer is not close enough to Rock Hill, SC to come pick it up, I will contact Fastenal, get the shipping quote, put it on a pallet in a box and deliver it to the nearest Fastenal store for delivery for $120. I have had very good luck with the Fastenal. We have shipped wheeling machines from here in South Carolina to as far away as California and Oregon for under $240 including insurance.

I can be reached at: [email protected] or PM me.

Here is a link to Peter's website: http://www.handbuilt.net.au/index.html

Here is a link to Hoosier Profiles: http://www.hoosierprofiles.com/home.html

ewheelday2 008.jpg

TomWheel02 017.jpg

Hoosier1.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-17-2016 at 10:12 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
RockHillWill

Default Re: Wheeling machine availablity

The third shipment of the Tommasini wheeling machines has left Australia and due here in Rock Hill, S.C. in about 4-5 weeks.

Peter has placed another order of castings for shipment to the US and one has already been sold. There are seven left on this fourth shipment.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
RockHillWill

For those here on this forum that follow the folks in the metal shaping community as well as those of you on this forum that have purchased on e of the cast iron English wheels, I have just recently been in touch with the US shipping agent, and it was his opinion that this current shipment will be in Atlanta, Georgia on or about March 1st, and we should see them here in Rock Hill about 3-4 days later.

If you are going to need shipping accommodations from here to your location, contact me as soon as possible so that I can arrange to acquire the pallets and making the shipping 'boxes'.

Peter is now taking orders for his fourth shipment, what he feels will be the last shipment in the near future, of the last (8) wheeling machines to be headed to the US. Three of them have already been spoken for. You can contact me as well regarding an order for this fourth/last shipment.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
RockHillWill

The third order is still expected to be as shown above, and an order for the fourth machine has been received for this fourth order leaving only four more available.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
RockHillWill

In response to several recent inquiries regarding Peter's wheeling machines (including from this site)

Good morning, Gentlemen

I commend you for your interest in Peters wheeling machines. Here is an excerpt from one of the posts on the Allmetalshaping site regarding the price and method of payment:

This post is done for the purpose of letting those of who are or intend to be, serious metal shapers. The third and last (for awhile, anyway) shipment of the Peter Tommasini designed English wheels has become available. Peter advised me on Monday, that the last of the order for 40 castings is being prepared for importing to the US. Up to this point he has sold 14 here in the US, 6 in Europe and 10 in Australia. Of the 10 that are left, only 6 are being made available for this shipment to the US. These are the first cast iron English wheels to be imported into the US in over 42 years, and are of the FINEST quality and design. I already have orders for two of these machines.

These wheeling machines in this last shipment are available for $3300 less upper wheel and lower anvils. This lowers the shipping costs substantially. To acquire one, a deposit of $1700 is required to get on the shipping list. The balance of $1600 is due upon their arrival here in the US. The finest US made upper wheels and four lower anvils are made by Joe Andrews at Hoosier Profiles. The specially designed upper wheel and lower anvils are available for $780. The fact that payment can be made in three segments has been a major selling point for these wheeling machines. I am NOT in the metal shaping machine selling business. A conversation between Peter and a friend of mine (Jimmy Matthews) that bought one, ended up with both of us volunteering to assist in the disbursement of the machines that arrive here in the US for those that also acquired one of these wheeling machines. They are shipped by ocean container to the US, shipped by train to North Carolina, and delivered by truck to here in Rock Hill, SC. where we disassemble the shipping container and make the individual wheeling machines available to those that purchased one.

If the buyer is not close enough to Rock Hill, SC to come pick it up, I will contact Fastenal, get the shipping quote, put it on a pallet in a box and deliver it to the nearest Fastenal store for delivery for $120. I have had very good luck with the Fastenal. We have shipped wheeling machines from here in South Carolina to as far away as California and Oregon for under $240 including insurance.

Payment is best made by using PayPal to the below address for the $1700. Be sure and send it to me as 'friends and family...' so that I receive the entire $1700 to pass on to Peter. This shipment is getting ready to be machined and delivery will follow the full order of (6). Four have been spoken for.

I can be reached at: [email protected] or PM me.

Here is a link to some pictures from a Peter Tommasini class at my shop that shows some pictures of the machines that Peter has built.

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showt...eling+machines
Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The 3rd and latest shipment of these English wheels from Australia has arrived. If those of you that have a machine on this shipment would notify me weather or not you need further shipping within the US, please email me with your address and I will provide a shipping quote. I have sent them as far away as Washington, California and Colorado for less than $280 shipping plus a crating charge.

wheels1 004.jpg

wheels1 008.jpg
Old 04-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
RockHillWill

The last of the third shipment of Peter's wheeling machines is being sent out this afternoon. Here are a few pictures of the arrival and some pics of folks picking up their wheeling machines. Many thanks to Jimmy Matthews for his help in palletizing the wheeling machines for shipping inside the US.

RR4Thu 026.jpg

wheels1 003.jpg

wheels1 006.jpg

Goodfriday 002.jpg

Goodfriday 006.jpg

Goodfriday 007.jpg

Goodfriday 008.jpg
Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
RockHillWill

For any of you that follow this metal shaping thread, the fourth shipment of six of the Tommasini wheeling machines are in the US and somewhere between Los Angeles and Atlanta, and are due here in Rock Hill in about a week. For the two of you in Virginia and Ohio, you can pick them up two weeks. I will be palletizing the other for internal US shipment the following week.

Peter has said the we can start taking orders for the next six effective immediately. I think the reason that these are selling so well as it has been determined that it is easier for 'newbies' to learn on this style wheel vs the fabricated designs.

For additional info or to acquire any accessories click here:

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Restor...siniWheel.html
Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
RockHillWill

The fourth shipment of Peters' wheeling machines has arrived here in Rock Hill, S.C.

I looked over the shipping crate for this fourth order this afternoon and it looks in good shape, but is a different construction that for previous shipments. Every wheeling machine in this shipment has been sold and Jimmy Matthews and I will be dis-assembling the crate on Friday and will start to make the crates for inner US shipments. Peter did a great job in preparing these wheeling machines for shipment.

For those of you that have a balance on these wheels, now is the time to remit that amount. If you have an interest in any accessories for these machines, they can be inserted into the crates and will save shipping costs at a later date.

I think that both of theses last two shipments have had one for a Model A restorer/interested in Model A's. They have attended one of Peter's classes and it gets quite clear the advantages of Peters cast iron design.

Shipment4PT 008.jpg

Shipment4PT 007.jpg
Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #10
RockHillWill

The first eight of the go-cart tires that were made specifically for Peters wheeling machines have been sold, so I have recently assembled six more. Two of this new set have been sold and four remain available. For those of you that have just bought one of Peters wheeling machines in this last shipment, if you wish to acquire one, I can include them in the shipping pallet and it will save the shipping costs if purchased at a later date. For more info click here:

CartTires 002.jpg

Misc2 008.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 07-09-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
RockHillWill

This is notification for those of you that have ordered one of Peters wheeling machines, that your wheeling machine has arrived here in Rock Hill, S.C.

We have unloaded the large shipping crate and inspected the contents and all the wheeling machines have arrived in great condition.

The balance of $1600 is now due, along with the applicable shipping fee. If have not sent the signed copy of the Fastenal shipping agreement that was sent, now is the time for that as well.

If you wish to acquire any of the available accessory items, I can include them in the shipping container and save you shipping costs at a later date. Accessory availability here: http://www.mantiquesresto.com/RestoredItems/Tommasini/TommasiniWheel.html

I will be gone from this Thursday thru Sunday to a car show in Kentucky, but check my emails several times a day. Crating can begin next week.

Two machines have already been crated and sent, and one is scheduled for pick up on the coming Monday.

Regards, Will

JimmySat 002.jpg

JimmySat 006.jpg

JimmySat 008.jpg

FastenalFriday 045.jpg

Those that have had the interest in metal shaping well enough to study the 'art' are to be commended for their recent purchase. Here is a quote from a section of a post made on the Allmetalshaping website.

"At the risk of pissing off a few people I'll simply say here that until you have witnessed a wheel been operated by someone who knows what they are doing you simply don't know what you don't know.

Stiff frames, noodles, cast, fabricated. They are all just rolling anvils and when you take the perceived " pressure component" out of the equation a whole new world opens up.

I ran Pete's McPherson over the week end and made 5 miniature 356 hoods just to try to understand what was going on. PSI will just bite you on the ass. Stretch with a blocking hammer, blend with the wheel and move the material to where you want it .

I wish everyone could just spend a few hours with Peter. He's getting old and cranky now but his logic stands true.
Geoff Moss ( forget the cigarettes and anvils on the floor) produces outstanding results as does David Gardiner Their approach is the same.
The basics just don't change.
Unfortunately You tube has produced " experts" who rely on their disciples for validation and then the myths and mirrors do their job."

I am not a talented metal shaper under any circumstances, but I have learned enough to recognize one now when I see one, and Peter is among the best ones and I am most appreciative of how he has allowed me to hang around and learn from him. "reading' the panel was a new concept to me as well as determining what the metal needs to have done to it before starting.

I thought that using only a stump and a hammer along with an English wheel was archaic and perhaps slow method of metal shaping, but after building several machines in an attempt to increase my skills I have learned that just any old machine is not always helpful. After being fortunate to have gleaned knowledge from the likes of Peter, Kent White, Cass Nawrocki, Jim Hery and others, It became clear that regarding the wheeling machine, it would be wise to learn the correct 'process' before choosing the design of the wheel. Peter's 'process' does not include much/any pressure when used for the 'softer' metals normally associated with automobile restoration like mild steel and soft aluminum.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
RockHillWill

Default Re: Cass Nawrocki inspired 6 x 6 lower anvil

I have made some of these previously for the fabricated style wheeling machines, but I recently had someone inquire about having one of these made for the Tommasini wheeling machine that they just acquired. I have made the drawings and sent them out to the water jet guy and ordered enough tube to make three of these. In addition to the customers set, I will be keeping one for myself and the third one is for sale. I priced the first one at $280 for both the anvil and the anvil support bracket., so I guess that is also the price for the remaining one. It is 6" in diameter and 6" long. it is turned down 1/16" on each side resulting in a 73" full radius.

These were developed for working on larger and flatter shapes like door skins, hoods and quarter panels, etc. when there is only one wheeling machine operator. The panels will not be as likely to 'fold' at the edges.

Other items available here:

PT6x6Low.jpg

PT6x6Low2.jpg

6x6RollTube.jpg
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #13
RockHillWill

That last unit has been sold, headed West. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #14
RockHillWill

Peter has informed me that that this fifth shipment of six of his wheeling machines have left the port in Australia, and is due here in 6-8 weeks. One of the new owners is a member of this forum and has attended one of Peters metal shaping class. He bought one after watching Peter build an entire lower half of a Tudor RS door in less than 20 minutes using a 24" full radius lower anvil to form the shape and another 20 minutes to tip the edges to fit the door frame, also on the wheeling machine. Peter spends a great deal of time and patience gas welding the panels together to avoid warping, so it took him about an hour to gas weld the top seam, but only about 10 minutes to planish the weld smooth. It was one of my 'surplus' doors and I sold it to a neighbor last week. He is a body man and commented about how little work it would take to prep it for paint.

One machine on the sixth shipment has been sold, and those considering a purchase can look here for more info.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
RockHillWill

This fifth shipment of English wheels has arrived here in Rock Hill. This is the second time that a shipment has been held in customs over concerns of the crate material 'issues'. This accounts for 32 of these wheeling machines that have been imported from Australia. They have turned out to be quite popular as they not only produce the desired quality work in less time, it has been noted that they are noticeably easier to learn the art of metal shaping as the rigidity of the cast machine takes away the concern of: 'is it me or is it the machine?'

At any rate, this shipment is in Rock Hill. Of the 32 sold, three of them have gone to auto restorers that are Model A owners and/or restorers. One in Oregon, one in Texas and one in Wisconsin. I have used this wheeling machine quite a bit on the speedster, but not so much on the new Humvee project.

Additional information can be seen here for the upcoming sixth order.

Or PM me or contact me by email at [email protected]

AussyWheels 005.jpg

AussyWheels 007.jpg

AussyWheels 006.jpg

AussyWheels 004.jpg
Old 01-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
RockHillWill

Fastenal surprised me with a response for a quote to the upper northwest. Palletized crate for four of the customers in this shipment are:

Oregon = $260
Texas = $210
Ohio = $185
Wisconsin = $185

Fastenal has been an important component of being able to acquire one of Peter's wheeling machines here in the US. Pallet, crating and delivery to Fastenal is currently $140. I have also been able to include these accessories in the shipping crate to minimize shipping costs.

Peter has confirmed that he will be in the US again this year for his seminars and teaching classes, and I will be gathering names and scheduling classes as the time gets nearer.

Any questions, contact me by PM or [email protected]

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-05-2018 at 09:02 PM.