Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Downsizing my shop and inventory

Due to a substantial increase for my time with the Bugatti project, and making plans to get started making the Bugatti frame, I am having to make more space in the shop, making me need more space in my storage containers, which leads me to get rid of some items taking up space in the shop including some shelving areas. I AM NOT getting out of the Model A business, but my time is currently required on a project that I cannot pass up the opportunity to work on.

I am entertaining the occasional visit from established Model A folks that might make good use of some of the tooling and restoration fixtures that I have accumulated over the years, as well as some extra parts. I would expect that they might walk thru the shop and container and request to purchase anything that they take a fancy to.

I DO NOT want an endless list of emails asking what I might have, but rather schedule a visit. All my 'stuff' is dis-assembled and cleaned and filed. (no piles of rusty axle assemblies etc.) No motors, chassis, cabs, or complete cars. LOTS of transmission parts, shifter components and fixtures. Most of my good fenders have been sold, but many 'partial' fenders and wheels remain.

This is NOT an offer to sell parts one at a time, or answer questions on and on. Nor do I want an auction, I am interested in some one visiting, taking a look, acquiring what they want and going home. I have already been taking trailer loads of the parts that are in the container to the scrap yard. I have already had three such Model A visitors, but the hauling continues.

I need the space for storing wooden bucks and parts for the upcoming project. I started out with over 140,000 pounds of these parts and have honorably used, restored, sold and given away the bulk of these parts. Please, no chastising about 'saving the parts, history, etc.' I NEED THE ROOM.

In the event any one has an interest, please contact me by email or PM only!
Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Downsizing my shop and inventory

Re; "I have already been taking trailer loads of the parts that are in the container to the scrap yard." If you don't want to be chastised they why not keep your mouth shut? It your parts but if you want to announce it here then expect some fall out. This is the 2ed time in less then a month someone has posted about hauling loads of stuff to recycling.
I don't know what the difference would be posting that you "MAY" have part available here or in the classifieds, they both get to the same people and if you are selling parts, tools etc then they belong in the classifieds not here in the forum in my OP land sure others as well.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Being on the other side of the country I wish I could pick through what you have. Others within reasonable driving distance have little excuse.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
RockHillWill

Good evening Red. I appreciate your keeping me 'straight'. It makes me feel better about working on the Bugatti.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
glenn in camino

Is the Bugatti a kit car. What engine are you using in it?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
RockHillWill

Glenn:
It is an authentic '35 T57 Bugatti Stelvio. I am assisting a gentleman near Nashville, Tenn. It has an aluminum body and I am making some wooden bucks to build the parts on. Have had to learn to do gas welding of the aluminum, and it was a difficult project at first, but has gotten better. I am recording photos of the project, but owner wants us to wait for completion of restoration. It has been invited to attend the Pebble Beach event, but not sure if it will be completed in time. When we removed the transmission, we uncovered some clutch issues and a non functioning starter. The owner found one in Australia and it was priced at $10,000. (Gulp!), but suspect that it has arrived in Tennessee by now. Have made the rear fender and front fender bucks as well as the 7ft long muffler, headlights, grille shell, front bumpers, front shock mounts, and the gas tank. Working on Solidworks drawings for the frame.

Mike, I am about 7 hours North of Daytona. Come see me! I have been studying for a HAM radio license and trying to set up the 'rig' and not been in the shop much this week.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 12-16-2015 at 09:13 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Jim Mason

I'll scrape the change off my dresser and get one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_4903-15224768950_8d338746b9_b842903849.jpg (59.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
old car guy

Good luck on your project Bugatti . I have done what you are now in the process of , it's a all consuming project that once you start it just esculates to a life of its own . The gas welding was the hardest part and the throwing away hours of work until you get it down to a acceptable panel. My shop did a Morgan and a early rolls that were really junk but the owner had a family history with them and the financial ability to make them right. . I thought that they would never be done but after what seemed forever they came together and the work was all worth the effort . The wooden bucks were a pain in the tail but you already know that. Please post pictures so we ,I can follow your progress.merry Xmas
Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

All of my inventory has to be gone by the end of April. So I know the feeling of seeing alot of stuff go to scrap. Rod
Old 12-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #10
burner31

I've got "wooden bucks", they don't take up all that much room.

Seriously, I had to look up what a "wooden buck" was...interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20111110_WoodenDollar.jpg (45.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg download (5).jpg (3.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg sculpturalyoungbuckB.jpg (47.6 KB, 29 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
Hunter

As someone who has had the privilege of visiting Will and seeing his operation, I can assure you that his collection of Model A parts is highly desirable and will save folks a lot of time finding the items elsewhere and getting them into the same condition.

Best of luck Will on downsizing and your new passion.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

I have read this several times and am still not sure why you used the quick reply and attached this to my reply. Rod
Old 12-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
Cool Hand Lurker

Rod, you have me confused. Are you saying that if we use the "Quick Reply" function it attaches to the last reply? Can you explain it a bit further?
Like I say, I am confused as to what I should do.

Now on the parts subject. I wish I were closer to both Rock Hill Will and Rowdy but it doesn't pay to drive millions of miles for a couple of parts, especially if they are not in the pile. Now if you want to just drive to my house and dump them off, I will even help you unload them and give scrap price.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
RockHillWill

Had my fourth visitor today, and they are bringing a trailer on Monday to pick up more wheels and some of the larger fixtures and tooling. I have been given some help on this from a good number of my friends. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

I am saying that the post you hit the "Quick Reply" on is the post it attaches it to. Try viewing this in the hybrid version and you will see what I mean. This can be changed using the User CP ", "Edit Options" then "Thread Display Mode". I posted my reply to the wooden nickle post the same as you did. Also the people that refer to the post by number is alittle confusing. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 12-18-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Had my fourth visitor today, and they are bringing a trailer on Monday to pick up more wheels and some of the larger fixtures and tooling. I have been given some help on this from a good number of my friends. Thank you!
Glad to hear that some is making it to new homes!!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM   #17
RockHillWill

Thanks, Mike. There is still a lot left for you .

I really hate to let some of this stuff go, but I am in dire straights for the room. I started out with 144,000 pounds pf Model A parts from a purchase that I made in Kansas a few years back. I have used and restored a LOT of it and have discarded most of the 'terminal' stuff. Everything that I currently have has been dis-assembled and degreased and filed on a shelf. One of the earlier visitors bought the ENTIRE selection of original bolts that I spent many months sorting, tumbling, numbering and filing. I intend to keep most of the sheet metal tools and fixtures as I can still use most of that tooling, but I have a significant collection of tooling to rebuild rear end housings, transmission, shift towers, distributors, starters, generators and 'stuff' like that. They are all in separate boxes so that when I am ready to rebuild any of that type of item, I do not have to go around and gather a wrench, etc. for that particular application. I made a special tool just to remove the knob off the windshield wiper control because the control & knob are nickel plated and the nuts are cad plated. Took me six hours to make the tool and it only takes 30 seconds to disassemble or reassemble the control. I have fixtures that I use to build three transmissions at the same time, and stuff like that. I have a pair of fixtures for hammer forming the edges of both the right and left '30-'31 fender wells that are made from Kirksite. When you cut a curve into another curve, the cross section is not the same width, and these molds account for that, as opposed to the current repro fender wells. They were cast by an employee of the Ford motor company who worked there since 1938.

I miss working on the Model A's, and most of the Model A folks. but I have been given another opportunity that I cannot pass on. I have accumulated some TERRIFIC friends, and miss chatting with them. (The ones you meet on Sunday are terrific, but the Monday morning guys are hard to swallow at times). I have enjoyed a degree of success in my Model A endeavors and owe a debt of gratitude to the multitudes of those that have helped. I have been graciously helped from the most knowledgeable guys around that have shared their vast knowledge with me. Watching these parts and tooling must be making me nostalgic, best I get back to breakfast.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-05-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #18
RockHillWill

Another visitor today. They got some more of the '30-'31 wheels, garnish moldings, nice original drip rails, cranks. We 'divided up' about 120 bumper clamps, some intake manifolds, '30-'31 headlight shells, an early '28 radiator shell, 4-original seat springs. We went thru approx. 50 water necks and almost 80 water inlets, a set of '31 pickup glass (new) with wrong dates for my FP pickup, a few bell housings and some real good clutch housings. Got rid of a few of the rear end assembly fixtures today as well.

Slowly, but surely parts are going to good Model A folks. I passed my FCC HAM radio license test today, so will be getting back to the parts moving in earnest next week. I have about 50-60 service brake cross shafts to restore before mid-January to determine what parts / fixtures are left to get rid of.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 12-20-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
Cool Hand Lurker

delete
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Roadster62

I worked in a Bugatti shop for 14 years, how bad it this 57 that it needs a new frame fabricated? Is there a restoration page that we can follow the project on? Best of luck with the rebuild. Bob