Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #21
Jwilli

Default Re: Under 1,000

I have only been involved with A's for about 4 years. I wish to thank all the knowledgeable people who have given me good information. I have learned a lot by just reading the post. Thanks to all who post good info.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
Who cares, don't you guys get it. Ryan's tried real hard to tell you.There has been enough of this shit. Post away about your Model A, forget the rest. And don't be so thin skinned if someone doesn't agree with you.Ask a question, get 20 replies and then sort the shit from the clay for yourself. Put your answer forward when you think you can help.Works great for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Minton View Post
It looks to me that you aren't getting it. It's not about sorting the good answers from the bad or feeling hurt when somebody doesn't agree with you. The real problems have been where certain members have sent inappropriate messages in private and maintained a continual negative campaign against a particular poster in public. If Ryan's latest move can do away with that weird, narcissistic behaviour and negativity it can only be good news for the FordBarn and 99% of the people who use it.

I am definitely not saying that both of you don't get it, but IMO to have the true perspective of how it has evolved into this, someone needs to have been around much longer than a couple of years.

Henry has a great point about the 'newbies' with under 1000 posts answering but doesn't the question need to be asked where did these "-under 1,000" actually get their knowledge to be in a position to be considered great? Is credit being incorrectly or erroneously given?? Who knows, but there IS more to this situation! Being brutally honest, their answer likely came from info given by the very ones who have been run-off, banned, or labeled as a troublemaker.

Another example of what I am trying to say is, with no disrespect meant or given, but Ryan did not make Fordbarn great. Yes, he has provided a platform to help it evolve to where it is today (-and yes we are thankful), but in reality it was the vision of Gus Stangeland, and then Peter Kaplan that solicited those in-the-know to come to their forum to share their knowledge for others. Those two plus the early participants are what made Fordbarn great.

So what has changed and caused all the discomfort? Many of the knowledable early participants have left because the "under 1,000" folks came to this forum challenging their experiences, and expecting the veteran crowd to accept their opinions on how it was done originally. One also must remember that the original Fordbarn was founded by the 'restorer crowd' for the 'restorer crowd'. It stayed that way for many years, and only deviated toward the end when Shelly took over Fordbarn. Many of those knowledgeable folks became frustrated at how a site that was so good for the hobby had deteriorated because it seemingly had lost its focus. Then, when Ryan purchased Fordbarn, it was advertised that Fordbarn Model-A Forum would be for discussing restoration topics only with a few sidebars thrown in occasionally. Although there was still some initial pessimism, those knowledge ones joined Fordbarn again freely sharing the information THEY had researched and paid a price for. Unfortunately, as time evolved they did not get support from this site's administration regarding the initial mission statement, and when they were tired of defending their postings, most left quietly. The majority of ones that stayed and fought to defend their years of efforts on this site have now been Banned, or are labeled as troublemakers!

This has become long, ...and I am not defending, -nor condoning anyone's actions, but sometimes the facts need to be told as it sometimes helps us to know exactly why a person acted the way they did. Yes, it is unfortunate that it has come down to us discussing this, but I suppose we will all live thru it all.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #23
wrndln

I agree with Brent's post above. Brent has been a real help to me and many other people on this site concerning restoration questions and answers. Like I posted at the start of this string, I thought, like Brent, this site was primarily for model A restoration questions and answers. It appears it has somewhat turned into a chat board. I will probably be ostracized for this post, but it what I believe has happened.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
Lona

When I first joined the forum and asked a question as I had seen others do, a common reply from the experienced guys was "this has been discussed before, why don't you do a search?" Good point for a newbie but a little intimidating. So, I would first do a search. Finding little relative information because the search function doesn't work very well, I was reluctant to post any question at all and refrained from doing so for some time. Then I saw a post where someone suggested using a Google search like "ignition timing ford barn" and that worked much better. There may be an even more convenient way to do a search that I do not know about yet.

The point I am making is that there is a huge amount of good information on the forum but it is not that easy to find what you are looking for all in one place. Newbies get frustrated trying to find it and experienced guys get frustrated seeing the same old questions all the time. Perhaps a "Sticky" helping new members find relative posts would give the new guys some direction and cut down on the repetive questions. Of course, there are those just too lazy to search first and I don't know the solution to that problem.

I always get a broader range of opinions and answers by taking the time to read multiple posts on a subject rather than relying on only a few reply comments to a post from a single day.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Old 01-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

In this Under 1,000 observation remark:

"Whether they are young, middle aged, or seniors, it appears so refreshing to see new "posting" guys taking a devout interest in this hobby and contributing information to kindly assist others."

What many see is that they realize that approximately 99% of posts herein consist of good people volunteering their free time to assist others ...... not much different to one giving one's most valuable free time as a humble, volunteer hospital worker assisting bedridden patients.

Then if one witnesses 100 volunteer hospital workers working in a single hospital, there will always be some who may not get along and even quit ..... such is life ...... but let us continue to try to focus and appreciate the 99%.

And, may we continue to make an effort to encourage and appreciate the new Under 1,000 to continue to assist others as we begin to ride off in the sunset.

Starting to feel like my horse is waiting for me to get in the saddle. LOL
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

I read of an after hours janitor in a big factory, that left helpful notes around.
After awhile, he was promoted to EFFICIENCY EXPERT & a BIG raise in PAY!
Bill W.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Cornishman

Personally I find it insulting that my advice might be less valuable than another's just because my number is much less than theirs. If I answer a question based on my experience working on a Model A it will be recent experience and fresh in my mind. Sorry, but that's not bad information or worse information than that given by somebody who was told something twenty years ago by someone who had owned a Model A that their grandfather had bought new.
The pissing contest and flexing of muscles on FordBarn has begun all over again. The alpha males are re-establishing their position at the top of the herd. Only a fool would think that the number of posts next to the poster's name, the country they live in or their age is more important than their advice or point of view. I bought my first American car when I bought my Model A and if registering on this site has given me an insight into the way American society values things I really believe I would be better off without. During my short time in FordBarn I have been insulted in public and sent a libellous private message by an ignorant thug who keeps his brains in his fists. Perhaps in America you are told to respect your elders and betters, here in Europe we are told to respect those who have earned respect. Perhaps it's not just our languages that look similar at first glimpse.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #28
zzlegend

Here we go again. I can see where this is headed. Some people just don't get it. What happen to the old fords that Ryan was talking about? Heading back out to the garage to finish my rebuild. 6.1 head, stipe cam, and everyone have a good day.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #29
Art Newland

It boils down to this, treat your fellow "barner" the way you want to be treated and things will be good. 8^)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #30
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
It boils down to this, treat your fellow "barner" the way you want to be treated and things will be good. 8^)
You can't argue with that.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #31
hardtimes

Can even ONE POSTER here in this thread please tell me how this thread opinion of members , new or old, has contributed to Ryan's directive to discuss MODEL A cars...perse !
Here we go again, as some can not help themselves and/or follow instructions from this Forum owner !

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-17-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ......
Old 01-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Since this thread is mainly dealing with numbers,,, Does anyone know how many individual parts are on a 1930 Tudor the way they were built...
Old 01-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #33
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Can even ONE POSTER here in this thread please tell me how this thread opinion of members , new or old, has contributed to Ryan's directive to discuss MODEL A cars...perse !...!
I believe his statement was "Old Fords", not specifically Model A cars.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 01-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #34
Ryan
Administrator

Yep. Most of you are starting to get our new direction. Post count and knowledge don't mean a thing if you can't help folks with respect and courtesy.

Further, post count and knowledge don't buy you any leniency if you disrupt the forum. It used to, but not anymore... we are tired of the drama.
Closed Thread