Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #41
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Downsizing my shop and inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
I still have fixtures to match mill manifolds, rebuild clutches, restore bell housing and pedals and service brake cross shafts, and most of the smaller 'tooling' that I keep in the main shop.
So that I am clear on this, I believe you told me you were keeping all the rebuilding fixtures. Is that correct, -or are they for sale?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #42
RockHillWill

Brent, it's all up in the air for awhile. When we talked, I was eager to sell them ALL at the same time, for cheap, but as it has drug on, and I went thru more in the container I may have some interest in keeping some of them now. Some that were in the container have been sold, I have moved some inside, and as the container has been cleared out, I am not so intent on either selling or keeping them all. I will absolutely have some coming up for sale, like those that I don't have multiple cores to use for rebuilding. I am still up in the air about how much work I will be involved in with the Bugatti or for how long it will last. An interest in ALL of them (at the same time) that I have left might be of some interest, but I am currently over the 'tight spot' I was in for the room. I would of course want to keep the metal shaping wood crate bucks that I have made to date, and the extremely low steel prices at the scrap yard have dulled my interest in taking much more away at this time.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #43
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Brent, it's all up in the air for awhile. When we talked, I was eager to sell them ALL at the same time, for cheap, but as it has drug on, and I went thru more in the container I may have some interest in keeping some of them now. Some that were in the container have been sold, I have moved some inside, and as the container has been cleared out, I am not so intent on either selling or keeping them all. I will absolutely have some coming up for sale, like those that I don't have multiple cores to use for rebuilding. I am still up in the air about how much work I will be involved in with the Bugatti or for how long it will last. An interest in ALL of them (at the same time) that I have left might be of some interest, but I am currently over the 'tight spot' I was in for the room. I would of course want to keep the metal shaping wood crate bucks that I have made to date, and the extremely low steel prices at the scrap yard have dulled my interest in taking much more away at this time.
I understand totally. The same issues you have with regard to storage is the same issues that I have. That is why I hated to see it scrapped ...but I am in the same predicament with us moving where I simply cannot afford to move, inventory & store more Model-A items. It was the 'all or nothing' purchase thing that I just could not make happen on my end due to the storage.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #44
RockHillWill

Thanks to you gentlemen that recently inquired about the engine modifying fixture(s) and the fender/component repair 'stuff', I will get some info to you ASAP. I have some folks coming tomorrow to help with the final speedster body mounting and some fender repairs and some Bugatti work on Monday & Tuesday, then I will get right to it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #45
RockHillWill

Snow is gone, steel prices up slightly - another load to the scrapyard. A lot (34) of good wheels that were straight, no cracks or wallowed out holes, and a huge collection of bumper mounting brackets and I found some more two tooth steering columns, just no room for them in the shop. I just sent two boxes to California with the last of the distributor cores and the distributor rebuilding fixtures and the tooling for machining them. It's getting harder to get rid of some of this stuff as I go along.

Some one from this site inquired about the fender repair pieces and the hand forming bucks that I have made for them, but I have lost the contact info. If that person sees this, would you be kind enough to PM me again. I am sorry I lost the info! I did find some pre-cut pieces that were made on the water jet that I did not remember that I had.

Bruce - can you come get the engine run-in stand? I found some more cleaned 2-tooth steering box housings and the fixture for holding the steering sector housings for align honing the bushings. I will give you them damn needle bearings. I don't like 'em.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #46
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Another visitor today. More gone from the container and some from inside the shop. I am grateful for those that have taken over ownership of this Model A 'history'. It has not been very comforting to see some of this stuff fade into the sunset. This kind visitor relieved me of the clutch rebuilding stand and fixtures and the stand that I made to pre-assemble the rear brakes and emergency brakes. It permitted complete assembly and adjustment of the entire rear brake backing plate units, prior to assembly onto the car. They also carted off a drawer of several hundred distributor rebuilding components, my carburetor rebuilding toolbox with the parts and pieces still in place, good straight clutch housing, service brake cross shafts and a LARGE drawer dull of soft white cad plated items that were spares and overages from the truck restorations. (All done at the space program 'shop' in Houston). As always, when loading them up, I came across many items that I did not know they were in there until too late. This has become a sometimes difficult decision to part with so many things related to the Model A's, but I did get to meet more old friends and make some new ones. I moved the front and rear fender rotating fixtures and the Kirksite fender well molds to an area under a 'carport'. Thanks again for finding a home for these things.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #47
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

you must have had a major stash with the amount if time this thread has struggled on! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #48
RockHillWill

Another good day in the 'saving' of some more of the 'stuff' in the container. A good friend and another friend came by this morning and got the last (16) '28-'29 wheels, front and rear backing plate assembly fixtures and a drawer full of backing plate repair components and the assembly fixture for the riveting of the lower roller plates. He also got the last box of distributor housings and the box with the machining, indicating and restoring tooling for them. Also finding a new home was a crate full of cleaned and 'tumbled' two tooth steering box housings and sector housings with the machined bore for new seals. He picked up the engine assembly/dyno stand at the same time, filling his trailer with the muffler, instrument panel cluster/stand, gas tank and all the accessories to test run a motor.

Late in the afternoon, another gentleman showed up and bought the last of the Jaguar independent rear end assemblies and front frame/suspension assemblies, something about those street rod guys. I retained the 4.2 liter Jag motor that will be used in the first building of the aluminum Bugatti bodies. It was the first thing that I moved into the newly acquired container space. I now have room for the shipment of the cast iron English wheels and the wooden bucks that are being made for the Bugatti front fenders.

Thanks, guys!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #49
old car guy

Will having gone thru what you are doing I commend you on the progress. I cleared everything out of my shop about a year ago. It was very hard to watch it go away after years of collecting swapping trading etc. I wish you well on your new adventure. And I also understand the sadness of watching one door close while you open a new one. Good luck
Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #50
RockHillWill

Good morning 'Oldcarguy'. It has been keenly painful to see some of the 'stuff' go, because looking at a particular part often reminds me of where I acquired it and who I met in the process, but most of the folks that show up here gravitate to some of the tooling and carts that I have fabricated along the way. I have two shelves that are 3 feet wide and 1 foot deep and seven feet tall that are crammed with fabricated fixtures and holders, etc. and I end up spending a fair amount of time giving 'tours' thru the shelves which just more so reminds me of the time invested in them and the inspiration that led to them. Yesterday, I ran across a tool that I made to press the knob off and on of a vacuum wiper 'knob'. Because of my limited machining skills, it took a full day to make and it takes only a minute to use it, but it leaves no markings on either the shaft or the knob. Go figure! I also found the steering column shaft that I cut down to use in a frame to set the rivets in headlights. I made it because I most often use the painted headlight shells and did not want to scratch the paint. At the same time I had acquired 1500 rivets made from the archive drawing on a CNC machine because the headlight 'judge' in FPJ was becoming very anal in his viewpoint, and I felt that this was the best way to do it right, and not damage the cad plating on the rivets either. Some of this 'purging' is fun, some nostalgic, but mostly memorable to see all the work that has passed thru the shop just for a few restorations. It is also becoming apparent that when the time is taken to recreate a particular detail for a fixture, your perception of a part can differ substantially than from just reading about it.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #51
RockHillWill

Another visitor over the weekend, more 'stuff' going to a good home. Is there anyone within driving distance of Rock Hill, S.C. that owns an early car? I just found two AR wheels. They have some rust and each has a small but very repairable crack around the perimeter of the mounting surface. Prove that you own an 'early' car and they will be free for the taking (within one week).